What if in the future, all graphics cards are same hardware wise, but you would have to buy software to get certain level of performance?

JJVGaming

Do you see this maybe happening? If so, what would you think of it? 

For example, you would need to buy "gtx 1060" software to get gtx 1060 performance on the card.

Then people would crack it or find other ways to harness the full power. 

Edit: It wouldn't be all that economically viable for manufacturers either due to the fact that it still costs more to produce better chips (Binning and such). 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

So, the 480 with the 580 BIOS? /s #sortof

I wouldn't go for it unless the idea is competitively priced. I wouldn't pay 20% more for just 20% extra power. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

If it's a software lock, it will be unlocked sooner or later by pirates.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

its the worst idea ever imo

so basically you buy a gtx 1060 and its just a paperweight until you waste another 100$ on software? are you okay? Anyways, they will be cracked on few weeks

Remember to quote me (or someone else), otherwise we won't going to recieve your answers...

PC Specs                   PCPartpicker full performance builds (from350$-1250$)

7 minutes ago, JJVGaming said:

For example, you would need to buy "gtx 1060" software to get gtx 1060 performance on the card.

Well no but what I do see is more services like Geforce Now where you can rent different tiered 'gaming PCs' that are really just cloud-linked chunks of huge amounts of servers filled with 1060s and 1080s (IIRC).

-----> Official Unofficial Favorite Keyswitch Type Survey <-----

OWNER OF THE FASTEST INTEL iGPU ON LTT UNIGINE SUPERPOSITION [lol]

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k | COOLING Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White) | MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 | GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White) | RAM  16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White)SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | PSU ASUS STRIX 850W (White)CASE  Phanteks G360a (White) | HEADPHONES  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro | KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps) | MOUSE  Cooler Master MM711 (White) MONITOR HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

WORK RIG "OVERPRICED BRICK"

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB) | HEADPHONES  AirPods Pro 2 | KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini | MOUSE  Logitech MX Master 3S MONITOR 2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

GET YOUR ASS ON NIGHT THEME

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]

Just now, JJVGaming said:

If you by "buying software to get 1060 perf"  you mean buying drivers cause there is no other software, we already have to buy windows or use linux free with open source drivers, its not going to happen unless there is only one company left in the market and driver development becomes 10 times more expensive then yeah they might make us pay for the software aswell if no competition, as long as we already have 2 companies with their own graphics IP (nvidia and amd) this will not happen even if AMD goes bankrupt their GPU IP will remain and they can either license it or sell it or give it for free, if they release it for free heh, lots of new GPU companies will emerge(not neceseraly successfull companies)

What ever you've been smoking can I have some please

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

This would be dumb for multiple reasons, but one of them is straight up cost. When you take a high end GPU and scale it down, you are still producing that GPU, and your costs will be high with crappy yields, and therefore the consumer would ultimately have to pay more somehow.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

1 minute ago, JayKay3000 said:

I'm not sure this would even work. They'd have to make one really powerful card and loose money if people brought the basic version.

A more realistic approach with current manufacturing would be to have the same card layout and fan design and buy and plug in extra chips (memory or processing) to increase the performance, a sort of modular graphics card. Not that I can see a way for this to work for real.

The software performance unlock is nearly impossible to implement without being cracked, even if there was a self destruct tamper proof method people would get around it because if the performance is on the card, people are going to find a way to get to it. Possibly some form of inbuilt internet connection in the card, that sends some unique numbers to a secure server somewhere, similar to the way Microsoft licenses windows 10. This would also lock the card to that machine and need a complicated system of unlicensing whenever you wanted to upgrade or move the card.

You've also got another issue of the number of display ports on the card. Not everyone wants five display ports. Is this future a standardised world where we only use HDMI and are forced to throw our older monitors away every time a new card is released which contains the newest technology. Revisions every two years. Size of the board, not everyone wants a certain size and sound. Every card would have to be silent because no one wants a hair dryer pc.

Ultimately the concept fails before it even starts and I can imagine graphics card makers have poured resources into this idea to streamline product inventory and increase profits.

So Sort of like GPUs become basically how CPUs and motherboards work, where you can replace chips and add certain amounts of memory?

1 hour ago, JJVGaming said:

That will never happen, unless you don't get the hardware in the first place. That is, instead of having a PC you have a small streaming box, and you can stream from a virtual machine for a price. 

52 minutes ago, JayKay3000 said:

Modular graphics cards.

I would really love to see socket GPUs and DRAM. That would offer higher transfer speeds I think, because of the more contacts, even though a technician could explain this better (I may be totally wrong :P ). Even if that isn't true, at least the GPU would be locked better, there would be a better way to water-cool a whole system, there would be space for better thinner PCs and also better heatsinks could be placed on top of them. And when it comes to outputs, there could be a few PCIe x 1 slots for each GPU chip, placed right on the mobo edge (to remove cables). That way each person can put the proper output he needs. 

As for DRAM, being that it doesn't produce too much heat compared to CPU an GPU, it can be possible to stack some on top of some others (at least in theory), offering a way to increase the total number of DRAM sticks/chips possible to put in a machine.

Most I can see is unlocking GPUs to Ti versions and such.

It doesn't really seem feasible. Iintel did this with some budget CPU years ago, but there is probably a reason why they stopped. 

It does bring up an interesting topic along the lines of DLC in games, where the DLC itself is already there and you pay to unlock that particular feature. However, I know I wouldn't want that. Pirates would have a hay day with that.