SSD fast boot time but slow startup programs

Cs342

hi guys, my new rig has a Samsung 840 250GB SSD and I'm very impressed with the boot time given that this is my first SSD. However, even though it boots into Windows in a flash, startup programs like Skype and Dropbox take up to a minute to start. Is there a way to speed them up?

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

I have a Samsung 840 120GB and Skype boots up very quickly, almost instantly. Are you sure the hang time is not to do with logging in as opposed to starting up?

I have a Samsung 840 120GB and Skype boots up very quickly, almost instantly. Are you sure the hang time is not to do with logging in as opposed to starting up?

Logging in is nearly instantaneous, but once I actually boot into the Windows desktop environment it still takes quite a while for my startup programs to run.

I have a Samsung 840 EVO 120GB and I think that it could be due to 3 things:

1. Normal bootup, so applications might start slower since RAM, CPU are trying to also startup.

2. Antivirus software scanning the opening applications causing a delay

3. Due to some sort of configuration on the computer to cause a delay

Try running a benchmark like AS SSD and post the results.

CPU: i5 4690K  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X UD3H   Memory: G.Skill (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866   Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" SSD/Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM   GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti SC 2GB   Case: Cooler Master CM 690 II (Black) ATX Mid Tower   PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650M 650W 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified   Optical Drive: MSI DH-24AAS-17 R DVD/CD Writer   Operating System: Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)

Some things that can slow booting: network, attached network drives, anti virus & malware scans, automatic updates of installed programs - many check on boot and can't finish the check until after network and internet are connected, attached devices & keys.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Would Avast antivirus be causing this slowdown?

Could be. Check its settings to see if it does anything special at startup. Something like check to see if there are any updates, do a quick scan, or even start a full scan if the last scheduled one was not done (i.e. the machine was off when a scan was scheduled to start).

Also check any automatic backups setup.

Every Antivirus / Internet Security slows down the boot up ^^ Some more some less, don't know for Avira, but ya, it has certainly a part of it.

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

Also check if you have a 2nd mechanical HDD you didn't install the software on that drive.

Most of my programs are on my SSD so the HDD shouldn't be a problem... I'll try switching from Avast to Norton and see if that speeds things up

Every Antivirus / Internet Security slows down the boot up ^^ Some more some less, don't know for Avira, but ya, it has certainly a part of it.

Okay I found some settings in Avast that may be causing the slow startup program launch times. Could you please tell me whether to enable or disable each of these?

Rootkit scan on system startup

Raw disk access during Avast boot-time scan

Load Avast services only after loading other system services

Enable hardware-assisted virtulaization

Thanks!

Okay I found some settings in Avast that may be causing the slow startup program launch times. Could you please tell me whether to enable or disable each of these?

Thanks!

I'd keep these as they are.

What I meant to say is that every security prog will slow down boot up. That's just how it works.

If you have stuff such as dropbox and the likes starting up you can disable those ^^

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

Thanks!Quote

Mate, I deal with this stuff everyday, and unless your already infected its not going to make a huge difference.  You are much better to download a rootkit scanning utility than using Avast.  I would also just remove Avast all together, I've removed it off plenty of computers and given them a sign of life again! Avast isn't bad but its a hell of a hog, try out AVG.  Its optimized for speed boosts and actually does speed stuff up after a while.  Hope this helps :)

Mate, I deal with this stuff everyday, and unless your already infected its not going to make a huge difference.  You are much better to download a rootkit scanning utility than using Avast.  I would also just remove Avast all together, I've removed it off plenty of computers and given them a sign of life again! Avast isn't bad but its a hell of a hog, try out AVG.  Its optimized for speed boosts and actually does speed stuff up after a while.  Hope this helps :)

So AVG would have no performance impact while Avast has a large impact?

So AVG would have no performance impact while Avast has a large impact?

From my test results, yes.  But I think it is because Avast has too many shields and protections that don't really make much of a help.  And after vigerous testing against malware samples I really can say that the difference in detection is extremely minimal with AVG and Avast when you compare them.  Unless you were to get a virus that was 1 hour old, in which case your f***ed but other than that your all safe pretty much.  I have allot to do with AVG and must say that AVG does a great job at not slowing down your system (AVG also uses some cache to help speed up bootup overtime, not by much but it works)

From my test results, yes.  But I think it is because Avast has too many shields and protections that don't really make much of a help.  And after vigerous testing against malware samples I really can say that the difference in detection is extremely minimal with AVG and Avast when you compare them.  Unless you were to get a virus that was 1 hour old, in which case your f***ed but other than that your all safe pretty much.  I have allot to do with AVG and must say that AVG does a great job at not slowing down your system (AVG also uses some cache to help speed up bootup overtime, not by much but it works)

How does the free version of AVG compare with the free version of Avast?

How does the free version of AVG compare with the free version of Avast?

In the way of protection, not much of a difference, Avast contains a sandbox which does nothing but analyse it in the cloud, so not really a sandbox.  Other than that Avast is just a big pig, so no difference there exept speed

In the way of bugs and errors, its hard to say. I haven't noticed anything much different about the two in this way.  I had been reported that in the previous version of AVG you couldn't do a system restore without disabling the protection.  However that was the last version. 

In the way of adds and junk, AVG has the optional AVG toolbar which I don't recommend installing.  And AVG has an addon called Privacy Fix which can help.  AVG does show a banner add at the bottom, while Avast doesn't  other than that there is no difference

In the way of removal, AVG is by far the better one.  AVG can repair infections, rootkit and even serious virut infections with its disinfection technology AVG also gives you options on what to do when it detects a threat by default.  If you wish to do it that way

In the way of detection, I found that Avast had signatures which were better than AVG's but then AVG's identity protection/ behavioural shield is the best of the best and I've rarely had a program escape from that.  There was also something going around that in the new version of AVG it could detect things based off of certain permissions and stuff.  So thats even better, it also means AVG doesn't mess up all your applications with false positives and stuff!

In the way of scanning speeds and stuff, AVG is best I think because it has a cache so that each time you scan it gets faster and faster

In the way of speed, AVG actually increases your speed over time using cache, which actually helps bootup, Avast however is slow as a tortoise with a brick tied to its foot.  Since you said the actually bootup isn't slow but starting up is, its a clear sign of Avast taking up your resources. 

AVG also requires no registration for a license.  Its download it and its free... forever. 

In the way of protection, not much of a difference, Avast contains a sandbox which does nothing but analyse it in the cloud, so not really a sandbox.  Other than that Avast is just a big pig, so no difference there exept speed

In the way of bugs and errors, its hard to say. I haven't noticed anything much different about the two in this way.  I had been reported that in the previous version of AVG you couldn't do a system restore without disabling the protection.  However that was the last version. 

In the way of adds and junk, AVG has the optional AVG toolbar which I don't recommend installing.  And AVG has an addon called Privacy Fix which can help.  AVG does show a banner add at the bottom, while Avast doesn't  other than that there is no difference

In the way of removal, AVG is by far the better one.  AVG can repair infections, rootkit and even serious virut infections with its disinfection technology AVG also gives you options on what to do when it detects a threat by default.  If you wish to do it that way

In the way of detection, I found that Avast had signatures which were better than AVG's but then AVG's identity protection/ behavioural shield is the best of the best and I've rarely had a program escape from that.  There was also something going around that in the new version of AVG it could detect things based off of certain permissions and stuff.  So thats even better, it also means AVG doesn't mess up all your applications with false positives and stuff!

In the way of scanning speeds and stuff, AVG is best I think because it has a cache so that each time you scan it gets faster and faster

In the way of speed, AVG actually increases your speed over time using cache, which actually helps bootup, Avast however is slow as a tortoise with a brick tied to its foot.  Since you said the actually bootup isn't slow but starting up is, its a clear sign of Avast taking up your resources. 

AVG also requires no registration for a license.  Its download it and its free... forever. 

You seem to be semi misinformed, a lot of what I've read seems to be opinion based with one of the major points pointing towards Avg's scanning cache, Avast has this cache on by default (As do most AV's as I can only assume that it's actually more reliable, to a certain extent) on the quickscan and I use it on both of my scans, it's found under the settings within the actual scan so It's easy to access and hence why I hit around 1.5GB/s on the initial first 20-30 seconds of my full scan. Startup wise Avast is pretty decent being one of the most lightweight AV's out there currently, hell, every AV has it Pro's and Con's but for the most part Avast does tend to sit up there at the top. Registration wise, the "License" is fine, 1 Year, refresh it on the same E-mail address isn't that much of a hassle for anybody and most probably why it's used is tied between the forum, connected devices, etc, it's most likely easier for them to determine currently installed numbers through an email as apposed to anonymous users which is even harder to determine if there isn't an active connection to servers. All in all a lot of it is down to preference and a lot of people will argue the points that they seem to have for their current AV and all that jazz, my point is, the current problem seems to be somewhere else as apposed to the AV currently installed on the OP PC.

Cpu: i5-2500k @4.8Ghz, MB: Asus Maximus V Formula, CPU cooler: Be quiet! Dark rock pro 2, GPU: Evga Gtx660 FTW@1.24ghz. Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866Mhz, PSU: Be quiet! 730w Semi modular, SSD: Corsair force 3 240Gb, HDD: WD Green 1TB, Case: Nzxt H2 with 4 Corsair SP120's, Win7

Thanks!

If you really feel as if it's related to Avast!, feel free to enable  "Load Avast services only after loading other system services". Test it a few times on boot and check the time difference between Avast! being enabled on startup and Avast! being loaded after everything else has been loaded on startup. 

Cpu: i5-2500k @4.8Ghz, MB: Asus Maximus V Formula, CPU cooler: Be quiet! Dark rock pro 2, GPU: Evga Gtx660 FTW@1.24ghz. Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866Mhz, PSU: Be quiet! 730w Semi modular, SSD: Corsair force 3 240Gb, HDD: WD Green 1TB, Case: Nzxt H2 with 4 Corsair SP120's, Win7

If you really feel as if it's related to Avast!, feel free to enable  "Load Avast services only after loading other system services". Test it a few times on boot and check the time difference between Avast! being enabled on startup and Avast! being loaded after everything else has been loaded on startup. 

Thats a great idea! Can't believe I didn't think of that! good work!

You seem to be semi misinformed, a lot of what I've read seems to be opinion based with one of the major points pointing towards Avg's scanning cache, Avast has this cache on by default (As do most AV's as I can only assume that it's actually more reliable, to a certain extent) on the quickscan and I use it on both of my scans, it's found under the settings within the actual scan so It's easy to access and hence why I hit around 1.5GB/s on the initial first 20-30 seconds of my full scan. Startup wise Avast is pretty decent being one of the most lightweight AV's out there currently, hell, every AV has it Pro's and Con's but for the most part Avast does tend to sit up there at the top. Registration wise, the "License" is fine, 1 Year, refresh it on the same E-mail address isn't that much of a hassle for anybody and most probably why it's used is tied between the forum, connected devices, etc, it's most likely easier for them to determine currently installed numbers through an email as apposed to anonymous users which is even harder to determine if there isn't an active connection to servers. All in all a lot of it is down to preference and a lot of people will argue the points that they seem to have for their current AV and all that jazz, my point is, the current problem seems to be somewhere else as apposed to the AV currently installed on the OP PC.

I found that when opening, closing and even loading up the program and features menu etc.  Avast Slowed the system down to a hault.  And the problem could well be something different, 

What is your CPU, RAM and motherboard btw?  Do you also have any other hard drives that have currently got user files on them. 

I found that when opening, closing and even loading up the program and features menu etc.  Avast Slowed the system down to a hault.  And the problem could well be something different, 

Disable Avast entirely to make sure that it is causing the problem. If it is, take a careful look at how it is installed and configured. Is any of it on HDD?

It's definitely something else, I have no problem opening the program and features at all, no slowdown and it opens instantly, loads the list within a second.