Gaming CPU needed

So I've been always more of a Intel fan. But i'm building a complete new PC right now for a smaller budget than i actually want, but times are difficult. 

A bunch of people have been recommending me the ryzen lineup instead of Intel. Mainly because i also develop apps and games. But this build will be focused more on games, and less on developing since i already have a laptop on which i develop at work. Only thing i will be developing on this build will be smaller side projects. (Let's say 90% of the time it will be used for gaming).

With the smaller budget in mind and the rest of the specs (not final yet) below. What would you guys recommend me? The ryzen lineup or Intel?

Budget 800-900 (already have a 750watt power supply and a case and 2 monitors)

General specs for my new build:

gtx geforce 1070 (unless that's really to expansive. Than i'll be going for the 1060 6gb)

16gb Ram

1 Tb disc (SSD wil probs come in the future due to the lack of money atm)

CPU: ????

Those are just the general specs i have in mind atm. Not sure which versions etc. But when i made a small build it brought me up to 1000-1100. Which is ofcourse a bit to expansive looking at my budget. In this build i used the intel i7 7700k 4.2Ghz

6 minutes ago, p.klokgieter said:

So I've been always more of a Intel fan. But i'm building a complete new PC right now for a smaller budget than i actually want, but times are difficult. 

A bunch of people have been recommending me the ryzen lineup instead of Intel. Mainly because i also develop apps and games. But this build will be focused more on games, and less on developing since i already have a laptop on which i develop at work. Only thing i will be developing on this build will be smaller side projects. (Let's say 90% of the time it will be used for gaming).

With the smaller budget in mind and the rest of the specs (not final yet) below. What would you guys recommend me? The ryzen lineup or Intel?

Budget 800-900 (already have a 750watt power supply and a case and 2 monitors)

General specs for my new build:

gtx geforce 1070 (unless that's really to expansive. Than i'll be going for the 1060 6gb)

16gb Ram

1 Tb disc (SSD wil probs come in the future due to the lack of money atm)

CPU: ????

Those are just the general specs i have in mind atm. Not sure which versions etc. But when i made a small build it brought me up to 1000-1100. Which is ofcourse a bit to expansive looking at my budget. In this build i used the intel i7 7700k 4.2Ghz

At this kind of budget you are more inline with an i5 build and when you are comparing i5s and R5s its no contest. There is still argument for the 7700k but the i5 is just blown away by the R5, expecially the gem of the line up the R5 1600. See AdoredTVs latest video (toms hardware in the title) he explains this very well although I can't link you from this PC sorry. I'll do a build when I get chance. Euro builds are a little trickier because of the amount of countries using the euro, i'll use PC part picker Germany if that's ok?

EDIT:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  (€230.84 @ Mindfactory)
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME B350-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard  (€96.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (€139.95 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (€50.73 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition Video Card  (€429.00 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Total: €947.51
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-12 10:01 CEST+0200

2 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

At this kind of budget you are more inline with an i5 build and when you are comparing i5s and R5s its no contest. There is still argument for the 7700k but the i5 is just blown away by the R5, expecially the gem of the line up the R5 1600. See AdoredTVs latest video (toms hardware in the title) he explains this very well although I can't link you from this PC sorry. I'll do a build when I get chance. Euro builds are a little trickier because of the amount of countries using the euro, i'll use PC part picker Germany if that's ok?

For sure! Appreciate it. As said i have a 750watt power supply and a case already. But i forgot to mention i also need a motherboard, WiFi card etc. Basically everything except the power supply and case. Appreciate it! Will the R5 keep up with gaming as well for the next couple of years? More and more games are using the CPU nowadays.

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  (€230.84 @ Mindfactory) 
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350M-HDV Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  (€78.86 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (€131.99 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (€50.73 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Mini Video Card  (€405.92 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Case: Fractal Design - Core 1100 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  (€43.25 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Total: €941.59
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-12 10:05 CEST+0200

5 minutes ago, p.klokgieter said:

For sure! Appreciate it. As said i have a 750watt power supply and a case already. But i forgot to mention i also need a motherboard, WiFi card etc. Basically everything except the power supply and case. Appreciate it! Will the R5 keep up with gaming as well for the next couple of years? More and more games are using the CPU nowadays.

I did 1 above already with a 1070 but had to make compromises. I did a more "complete" build with a nice SSD for quick boots and OS use, see below. This is an ideal build at 1080p, RX 580 > 1060 in terms of performance.

Motherboard: Asus - PRIME B350-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard  (€96.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (€139.95 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: ADATA - Premier SP550 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (€81.03 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (€50.73 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Video Card: *Sapphire - Radeon RX 580 8GB PULSE Video Card  (€255.35 @ Mindfactory)
Total: €854.89
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-12 10:06 CEST+0200

EDIT: Please also bear in mind VEGA is right around the corner and this might influence choices and prices due to competition.

28 minutes ago, RaptorCandy said:

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  (€230.84 @ Mindfactory) 
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350M-HDV Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  (€78.86 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (€131.99 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (€50.73 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Mini Video Card  (€405.92 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Case: Fractal Design - Core 1100 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  (€43.25 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Total: €941.59
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-12 10:05 CEST+0200

This build looks pretty great. I already have the case as said. May i ask why the 1070 mini and what is exactly the difference? 

26 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

I did 1 above already with a 1070 but had to make compromises. I did a more "complete" build with a nice SSD for quick boots and OS use, see below. This is an ideal build at 1080p, RX 580 > 1060 in terms of performance.

Storage: ADATA - Premier SP550 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (€81.03 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Video Card: *Sapphire - Radeon RX 580 8GB PULSE Video Card  (€255.35 @ Mindfactory)
Total: €854.89
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-12 10:06 CEST+0200

EDIT: Please also bear in mind VEGA is right around the corner and this might influence choices and prices due to competition.

Thanks for the build! to be honest i really want and nvidia GPU. the build from Raptor seems pretty identical except for the GPU. I have no and i mean absolutely no clue about motherboards. Which one is better out of the 2 you guys suggested? About the RAM. I don't know G.Skill but ill be going for Corsair just out of personal expierence and knowledge. The SSD included would be a really nice add-on. But i'm struggling choosing between an SSD or a better GPU. I mean an SSd is easy to add in the future, just need to restart the OS than. Opinions due to my low budget atm?. I mean changing GPU in the future would obviously cost more than adding an SSD.

14 minutes ago, p.klokgieter said:

This build looks pretty great. I already have the case as said. May i ask why the 1070 mini and what is exactly the difference? 

Thanks for the build! to be honest i really want and nvidia GPU. the build from Raptor seems pretty identical except for the GPU. I have no and i mean absolutely no clue about motherboards. Which one is better out of the 2 you guys suggested? About the RAM. I don't know G.Skill but ill be going for Corsair just out of personal expierence and knowledge. The SSD included would be a really nice add-on. But i'm struggling choosing between an SSD or a better GPU. I mean an SSd is easy to add in the future, just need to restart the OS than. Opinions due to my low budget atm?. I mean changing GPU in the future would obviously cost more than adding an SSD.

The mini card will have a lower clock speed and a smaller cooler so may suffer thermally therefore reducing performance. Which is why I used a full size 1070. G skill and corsair both work great with ryzen systems so you could pick either. Considering an SSD can be up to 28 times faster than a HDD... I'd say they are essential. My work PC boots off a HDD and takes SO LONG. May I ask why you must have an NVidia gpu? There is no reason not to buy the 580 if it beats the 1060 in the majority of games (which it does) and costs slightly less. Also AMD have a better track record with long life driver support whereas Nvidia tend to drop an architecture when they move on to the next one (Volta 2018).

EDIT: Always buy the better component regardless of who is offering it. If AMD's 580 is known to be better than 1060's and people always buy the poorer performer just to follow a brand then that is bad for us (consumers) because AMD won't get the sales profits to release and develop better products for the next generation and this causes Nvidia to dominate the market and choose the prices (which is unfair if they don't have the better card but still profit)

tldr: buy the best performer in your category which at the 1060/580 price point is the 580. The 1070 and above obviously become a 1 horse race as AMD don't have high end cards this generation so ofc if looking at the 1070 price range then the choice is Nvidia.

13 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

The mini card will have a lower clock speed and a smaller cooler so may suffer thermally therefore reducing performance. Which is why I used a full size 1070. G skill and corsair both work great with ryzen systems so you could pick either. Considering an SSD can be up to 28 times faster than a HDD... I'd say they are essential. My work PC boots off a HDD and takes SO LONG. May I ask why you must have an NVidia gpu? There is no reason not to buy the 580 if it beats the 1060 in the majority of games (which it does) and costs slightly less. Also AMD have a better track record with long life driver support whereas Nvidia tend to drop an architecture when they move on to the next one (Volta 2018).

EDIT: Always buy the better component regardless of who is offering it. If AMD's 580 is known to be better than 1060's and people always buy the poorer performer just to follow a brand then that is bad for us (consumers) because AMD won't get the sales profits to release and develop better products for the next generation.

tldr: buy the best performer in your category which at the 1060/580 price point is the 580.

Full sized one it is. Thanks! And yea, i know an SSD is essential nowadays. But i could also buy later on. I mean if i choose an SSD above an better GPU now, it will costs me more in the long term since i need to update my GPU sooner. An SSD is easy to buy and just add. Correct me if i'm wrong though! ATM i have a PC with no SSd and no real problems there. PC boots rather quick.

The reason i really want a Nvidia is because of expierences i had with AMD. I appreciate the feedback though, since this is my first time building my own PC completely everything you guys tell me is informative. But because of pasts expierences etc i'd just rather van a nividia and pay a bit more. If i go for the ryzen 1600 you guys suggested me, i might be able to buy a 1070. Still deciding though.

4 minutes ago, p.klokgieter said:

Full sized one it is. Thanks! And yea, i know an SSD is essential nowadays. But i could also buy later on. I mean if i choose an SSD above an better GPU now, it will costs me more in the long term since i need to update my GPU sooner. An SSD is easy to buy and just add. Correct me if i;mw rong though! ATM i have a PC with no SSd and no real problems there. PC boots rather quick.

The reason i really want a Nvidia is because of expierences i had with AMD. I appreciate the feedback though, since this is my first time building my own PC completely everything you guys tell me is informative. But because of pasts expierences etc i'd just rather van a nividia and pay a bit more. If i go for the ryzen 1600 you guys suggested me, i might be able to buy a 1070. Still deciding though.

Yes if you plan to add an SSD later on you should get the 1070 (full size). Though bear in mind that when you move to your SSD you'll be doing a clean install of windows (though that's only a minor inconvenience).

R5 1600 is the way to go vs the i5.

EDIT: Sorry I never answered you on the motherboard. We both chose the same board pretty much except mine was ATX form factor and his was micro ATX (size of board) I like ATX boards as they fill out a case better, the components are less crammed together and there are often more features. Though they both use the B350 chipset so should perform near identical, I just like the ATX form factor to make my case look less empty.

23 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

Yes if you plan to add an SSD later on you should get the 1070 (full size). Though bear in mind that when you move to your SSD you'll be doing a clean install of windows (though that's only a minor inconvenience).

EDIT: Sorry I never answered you on the motherboard. We both chose the same board pretty much except mine was ATX form factor and his was micro ATX (size of board) I like ATX boards as they fill out a case better, the components are less crammed together and there are often more features. Though they both use the B350 chipset so should perform near identical, I just like the ATX form factor to make my case look less empty.

Great, so i'll be going for your build - the GPU & SSD. Thanks a lot! Later today i'll make a full build and place it down below. I assume the motherboard is compatible with every component? As said i have no clue about motherboards so... Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Does the motherboard you provided me have a standard wifi card? or do i need to buy 1? I have no option for cable sadly.

17 hours ago, p.klokgieter said:

Final build:

da7e8826c2824e04be1c0a45548a5e0b.png

Amazing! Like how you manage to get case, psu, and 2 monitors!

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

On 5/13/2017 at 8:56 AM, Ordinarily_Greater said:

Amazing! Like how you manage to get case, psu, and 2 monitors!

Thanks! :) Ordering it tonight! Will be adding more RAM, an extra HDD and a SSD in the future :)

Did you order this allready? Are you going to OC that ryzen? If not it might be a bad gaming experience for you if you aim on gaming. How are you gonna put all that in ur micro atx? Founders Editions are meh...

I assume you still have your case+power supply? Out of topic: Nederlands had ook gekund maar dit is wat socialer naar de rest < LOL

Edit: Sigh i forgot the WIFI but those come cheap around 13-15 euro at 300mbps :)
More edit: Also you dont really need 3gb ram just for aiming at a 90% gaming rig. ESP not in a ryzen since they still dont have everything updated to let the ram work correctly (correct me if im wrong), either way its not of a HUGE performance gain in gaming. I also assumed your aiming at a 1080p resolution. This build can do some VR....OW and i hope you get that SSD or m2 soon, not a performance gain but alot of speed overall in loading up would fit this build. And if you allready picked your buy im sorry ... i just had to post it :)Screenshot_39.png.2992df0876cbca00872ed07417a44082.png

22 minutes ago, Goildzy said:

Did you order this allready? Are you going to OC that ryzen? If not it might be a bad gaming experience for you if you aim on gaming. How are you gonna put all that in ur micro atx? Founders Editions are meh...

This is what i ended up ordering:

Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B350-PLUS
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.2GHhz
GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 DUAL 8GB
RAM: 16,00GB DDR4-3000
Hard Drive: Western Digital Blue 1TB 7.200rpm

Already came in, building it sunday

On 5/12/2017 at 11:01 AM, tom_w141 said:

How is an >i5< 7600k less than a ryzen 5 at a lower clockspeed performing less powerfull single thread performance for gaming? It is 100% not. If you deny this i need proof on you answer.

For 1080p gaming, you won't notice a difference between an R7 1700 and an i7 7700K, other than an occational hiccup on the i7. They both push high enough average frame rates that one can't actually differentiate them in a blind test, and the tighter frame times + higher minimums of the 1700  only really factor in when a minor hiccup would occur otherwise.

That said, a Ryzen hexacore will give yoy damn near the same perf as a Ryzen octocore, for a price closer to an i5. I'd go with one of those for gaming.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Just now, p.klokgieter said:

Maakt niet uit nog steeds een heerlijke pc :) Zeker als je buiten je gamen om lekker multithread in programmas. Ik raad je aan je ryzen wat the ocen, moet mogelijk zijn met gemak op de standaard cooler. PRAY dat je geheugen op volle toeren draait ik ben benieuwd!

Doesnt matter it still is a great pc :) esp if you do more than just gaming like a heavy multithread with programs and what not. I advice you to oc your ryzen a little, should be done fairly easy on that standard cooler. PRAY that your memory speeds run well, im curious!

Can you update us once the build is real?

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

For 1080p gaming, you won't notice a difference between an R7 1700 and an i7 7700K, other than an occational hiccup on the i7. They both push high enough average frame rates that one can't actually differentiate them in a blind test, and the tighter frame times + higher minimums of the 1700  only really factor in when a minor hiccup would occur otherwise.

That said, a Ryzen hexacore will give yoy damn near the same perf as a Ryzen octocore, for a price closer to an i5. I'd go with one of those for gaming.

On 1080p you will actually see the most difference between 1700 and the 7700k(winner), 1440p and higher is where the gap between ryzen and 7700k(who still is king of games) closes more and more. This is because of the given tasks will get so heavy that the GPU will need to work harder and so your CPU becomes less and less of a bottleneck. However if you would force in lower GPU's in that rig you will see that the 1700 will start losing more grip on lower resolutions. Dont get me wrong i love ryzen.....but here the OP states to be aiming for 90% gaming. If the ryzen in your case isnt OC'ed it will even bite some more dust. I agree on the Hexacores in terms of picks over those in this build but it wont beat the i5 i am sorry.

10 minutes ago, p.klokgieter said:

CAN I ASK....as fellow country fellah.....where did you order? :P

I'm not really following you guys anymore. The Ryzen should be MORE than enough for gaming atm. Overclocking it might be a option for the future, but atm not really needed. Atleast im guessing so? Based on what i've read/saw on youtube the ryzen 1700 + gtx 1070 runs 4k games smoothly, i'm guessing the 1600 should be able to do this as well? Correct me if i'm wrong tho.

1 hour ago, Goildzy said:

CAN I ASK....as fellow country fellah.....where did you order? :P

Alternate ;) 

On 5/12/2017 at 8:29 PM, p.klokgieter said:

Final build:

da7e8826c2824e04be1c0a45548a5e0b.png

I would avoid Feounders Edition card at any cost

Also what's the full name of that Cooler Master PSU? I am not really sure it will work

What RAM stick is it (full name)? Might not work fully with Ryzen

Add an SSD you will not regret it

3 hours ago, deXxterlab97 said:

I would avoid Feounders Edition card at any cost

Also what's the full name of that Cooler Master PSU? I am not really sure it will work

What RAM stick is it (full name)? Might not work fully with Ryzen

Add an SSD you will not regret it

I would appreciate if you read the whole topic before commenting. 1. i explained why no SSD. 2. I already ordered it. 3. A friend of mine checked if everything fits. And 3. Thats the whole name of my psu..

41 minutes ago, p.klokgieter said:

I would appreciate if you read the whole topic before commenting. 1. i explained why no SSD. 2. I already ordered it. 3. A friend of mine checked if everything fits. And 3. Thats the whole name of my psu..

sorry, in the future you can mark items as purchased in pcpp by clicking the gear icon

again FE card runs loud and hot, seems you haven't got it so get something else

psu can be kept, i was asking becase some cooler mastet psu are bad

also you haven't told us what ram is it as ryzen benefit a lot from high speed ram like the 3000mhz in there but not all can be overclocked to that speed so to ensure you get the most out of it check with memory list in motherboard support page to see if it is compatible