Getting AMP /DAC for Headphones

Nohemi

Hi

So I am thinking about getting Audio Technica ATH M40x headphones. I was wondering if I really need an AMP or not. If so, what should I get (I'm not spending like 100 bucks though)?

Thanks

2 minutes ago, Nohemi said:

Hi

So I am thinking about getting Audio Technica ATH M40x headphones. I was wondering if I really need an AMP or not. If so, what should I get (I'm not spending like 100 bucks though)?

Thanks

Schiit Fulla 2 is all you need and it's $99

23 minutes ago, SSL said:

You don't need anything.

Is this because the impedance is only 35 ohms?

17 minutes ago, Nohemi said:

Amp isn't really needed, but the dac can give you better audio if your own board sounds bad

5 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

Amp isn't really needed, but the dac can give you better audio if your own board sounds bad

I mostly use it for mobile

1 hour ago, Nohemi said:

Nope.

The improvement will be small and not justified if you purchase the extra dac/amp. It will be wiser to get a better headphone than investing on an amp/dac for m40x.

Cpu R5 1600 @3.7ghz - MB Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 - RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GBx2 @3000mhz - GPU Palit GTX 1070ti Dual - Storage Kingston FuryX 120GB SSD, WD 500GB Green HDD, Seagate 1TB HDD - PSU Seasonic X650 - Case Sharkoon S25-W - Display Zowie XL2411 - Peripherals Filco Ninja Browns, Zowie FK2 & Qck Hyperbeast Ed.

4 hours ago, Mooshi said:

"If" is the key part of this statement.

A DAC probably won't improve your sound compared to the onboard of any motherboard from the last 5 years.

4 hours ago, Nohemi said:

I mostly use it for mobile

like, with your phone?  So this needs to be a portable amp you can take with your phone, yes?  That changes things, since I think everyone has assumed a standard "desktop" headphone amp until now.

Regardless, I think the "you don't need one" point still stands.

4 hours ago, Nohemi said:

This is a common misconception, but you're better served looking into the "sensitivity".  It will make sense why when you see the units are dB/mW

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

4 hours ago, Mooshi said:

please explain to me how you can use a DAC without an amp.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

25 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

please explain to me how you can use a DAC without an amp.

That statement was implying those headphones don't really need extra amplification

54 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

That statement was implying those headphones don't really need extra amplification

Your statement can be understood like you don't need an amp if you got a DAC, but a DAC doesn't have a headphone jack or even close to enough power to drive headphones. A DAC would basically be a brick without an amp.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.