What headphones should I buy? Can I power them?

RickvLogchem

Hi everyone, unfortunately my PC headphones died today and I've been looking at replacement options. I'd like some advice, especially concerning if I can drive these headphones properly. I'll mainly use these headphones for gaming, watching some movies and listening to music. My current audio solution is simply the audiochip that's on my mobo, which is a Realtek ALC892. More info here: http://www.realtek.com.tw/products/productsView.aspx?Langid=1&PFid=28&Level=5&Conn=4&ProdID=284

The headphones I've been looking at are the Sennheiser G4ME One which is an open "gaming headset" that's actually good, both concerning the audio as well as the mic. I've also been looking at Beyerdynamic's DT990 Pro headphones or, If the impedance of those is too high for my audio solution, the DT770's, for which I'd get something like a V-moda boommic or Modmic.

My question is, which one would be better for my use case (gaming (lots of it) music, and occasionally a movie and can I drive these headphones without getting something like a DAC. I'd really appreciate some advice as I'm still a huge noob when it comes to audio. 

26 minutes ago, RickvLogchem said:

Hi everyone, unfortunately my PC headphones died today and I've been looking at replacement options. I'd like some advice, especially concerning if I can drive these headphones properly. I'll mainly use these headphones for gaming, watching some movies and listening to music. My current audio solution is simply the audiochip that's on my mobo, which is a Realtek ALC892. More info here: http://www.realtek.com.tw/products/productsView.aspx?Langid=1&PFid=28&Level=5&Conn=4&ProdID=284

The headphones I've been looking at are the Sennheiser G4ME One which is an open "gaming headset" that's actually good, both concerning the audio as well as the mic. I've also been looking at Beyerdynamic's DT990 Pro headphones or, If the impedance of those is too high for my audio solution, the DT770's, for which I'd get something like a V-moda boommic or Modmic.

My question is, which one would be better for my use case (gaming (lots of it) music, and occasionally a movie and can I drive these headphones without getting something like a DAC. I'd really appreciate some advice as I'm still a huge noob when it comes to audio. 

You will be able to drive the g4me one's no problem! I have them and I use them for my ps4 since I have HD6xx's and a blue yeti for my computer but I know for a fact they work just as good on the PC! No DAC required. The DT770's and mod mic is probably also very good but I'm a Sennheiser fanboy so I wont say those are bad!

Also they sound great and the built in mic is one of the best headset mic's you can get.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

IIRC, g4me series use HD518 drivers and attach a boom mic to it and sold as a different product altogether.

If you're budget conscious person, Philips SHP9500/S + vmoda boom pro will be absolute best solution at the price point. I would tell you to get these first, if you don't like it, upgrade and upgrade from time to time like me :P

DT770 is super fun for gaming, although the bass can be too much but will be fun for movies, DT990 is the same but open backed with less bass but a little bit higher treble for some people..

TLDR: go for shp9500+boompro.

Cpu R5 1600 @3.7ghz - MB Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 - RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GBx2 @3000mhz - GPU Palit GTX 1070ti Dual - Storage Kingston FuryX 120GB SSD, WD 500GB Green HDD, Seagate 1TB HDD - PSU Seasonic X650 - Case Sharkoon S25-W - Display Zowie XL2411 - Peripherals Filco Ninja Browns, Zowie FK2 & Qck Hyperbeast Ed.