Does upload speed matter when you are gaming?

so i previously had around 20mbps download, 4mbps upload and around 40ms ping and this ran games like world of tanks and call of duty very smoothly. however recently something has happened to my ISP and now i get only around 5mbps download and 0.5mbps upload with the ping sometimes going to low as 15ms. i want to know if that bad upload speed is going to affect my gameplay and will it be able to run battlefield 1 as im planning to buy this game probably end of this month.

It will not affect anything but when you exit game it will do cloud sync

My Rig : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MTBd2R

My VM Server : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/rPR6gL

My Backup Server : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cRQYYr

My Storage Server : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tzzR9W

My Router : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bMPN4C

My Laptop : Lenovo Z575 with 6 GB RAM (1866 MHz), Crucial MX300 525 GB & Western Digital 2 TB (Removed optical drive)

1 minute ago, domandric034 said:

Unless it's EXTREMELY terrible, something like 0.01Kbps will get you no where I assume. Isn't it more bandwidth related other than speed related?

7 minutes ago, domandric034 said:

In order for multiplayer games to work they need to upload lots of data...

How do you think the servers know what keys you press or where your character is and all the other things???

Just now, xentropa said:

IMO latency is more important than speed.

If you have no upload speed multiplayer games will not work at all.

If you have slow upload speed, and the game requires more, then you will get server sync issues and rubber banding.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

You can't play MP if you're not sending data up, can you?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

games like WoT scale how much data they send to the server. 

in CSGO for example this can be set with the 'rate' command in console, default is 128000 or 128KB/s up

idk

should consider new ISP then,but im not sure how good the ping is in the next prominent ISP. If the ping goes upto somewhere 100 will it be a big issue?

41 minutes ago, Enderman said:

In order for multiplayer games to work they need to upload lots of data...

How do you think the servers know what keys you press or where your character is and all the other things???

If you have no upload speed multiplayer games will not work at all.

If you have slow upload speed, and the game requires more, then you will get server sync issues and rubber banding.

Define "lots of data" though?  My brother played an online game recently with an internet connection that was 1 Mbit down and said it worked just as well as home where we have ~25 Mbit.  I'd imagine upload numbers are less than download, since you only have to upload your own data but you have to download everyone's 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Define "lots of data" though?  My brother played an online game recently with an internet connection that was 1 Mbit down and said it worked just as well as home where we have ~25 Mbit.  I'd imagine upload numbers are less than download, since you only have to upload your own data but you have to download everyone's 

Yes, it depends on the game obviously, idk if BF1 uses more than 500kbps upload.

The problem comes when the game requires more than you have, then it becomes completely unplayable.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

Yes, it depends on the game obviously, idk if BF1 uses more than 500kbps upload.

The problem comes when the game requires more than you have, then it becomes completely unplayable.

Yeah, totally agree with all that.  I just have a feeling that while online games really need a very low latency connection, they don't necessarily need much bandwidth

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

37 minutes ago, Shammikit said:

should consider new ISP then,but im not sure how good the ping is in the next prominent ISP. If the ping goes upto somewhere 100 will it be a big issue?

The lower the better. Normal in my area is about 50-60 in most games. That means that I'm about .06 seconds behind whatever is actually be processed. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

Yeah, totally agree with all that.  I just have a feeling that while online games really need a very low latency connection, they don't necessarily need much bandwidth

Depends on the game, obviously. MMO's use a lot for downstream, but upstream is barely an issue since the server handles the packets.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

With latency, the lower the better.

With bandwidth (aka upload or download speed) there needs to be a minimum amount for the game to work properly.

OP is asking about whether upload speed matters, and it certainly does if your upload speed is lower than the game requires.

If you have what the game requires, then having more doesn't matter, unless you want to be uploading stuff or something while playing.

TLDR - yes it does matter, because you either have enough upload or you don't.

Spoiler

Just now, Enderman said:

With bandwidth (aka upload or download speed) there needs to be a minimum amount for the game to work properly.

OP is asking about whether upload speed matters, and it certainly does if your upload speed is lower than the game requires.

If you have what the game requires, then having more doesn't matter, unless you want to be uploading stuff or something while playing.

OK, I think we're in agreement :P 

So, it boils down to will the game need to upload more than 0.5 Mbit/s.  My vote is for "no", but if you know otherwise, I guess this is the time to say so :D 

• 7 months later...
On 5/11/2017 at 12:38 AM, Shammikit said:

so i previously had around 20mbps download, 4mbps upload and around 40ms ping and this ran games like world of tanks and call of duty very smoothly. however recently something has happened to my ISP and now i get only around 5mbps download and 0.5mbps upload with the ping sometimes going to low as 15ms. i want to know if that bad upload speed is going to affect my gameplay and will it be able to run battlefield 1 as im planning to buy this game probably end of this month.

i wanna add. your 1.5 MS ping is seriously a level in on its own...like ... the best possible connection to have... anything under 10MS is by far the most wanted ping times ever. . and for downloads and uploads. well .. it relys on ping ...so ...having 0.5 MS ... its like having . the whole internet system/buildings being assiocated with your connection.. . that ping i want. . describe your isp provider for me. thanks in advance.  

I have 1000kbps up.

Or.. 100Kb per second upload.

My pings don't increase until I'm down to 350kbps / 30-35Kb/s

Also I can use about 68-72% of that 100'ish Kb/s Upload (Youtube UP) and still see no increase or ill effects from doing so.

Netlimiter helps so much.... uploading would be stuck at using all my upload bandwidth otherwise... and then can't play games online.

Limit the UP to 70%, game all day while uploading. :P

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

On 1/7/2018 at 2:12 PM, beitthyneighbour said:

i wanna add. your 1.5 MS ping is seriously a level in on its own...like ... the best possible connection to have... anything under 10MS is by far the most wanted ping times ever. . and for downloads and uploads. well .. it relys on ping ...so ...having 0.5 MS ... its like having . the whole internet system/buildings being assiocated with your connection.. . that ping i want. . describe your isp provider for me. thanks in advance.  

I have moved onto a new ISP. A local ISP called SLT. If u r not here in sri lanka u will not be able to get it. their ping is around 20ms, download 25Mbps and upload 2Mbps. I play world of tanks for a online game and the ping with that is around  80 - 100. its the same as my previous connection before it got screwed

On 5/11/2017 at 12:15 PM, Enderman said:

TLDR - yes it does matter, because you either have enough upload or you don't.

On 5/11/2017 at 12:16 PM, Ryan_Vickers said:

OK, I think we're in agreement :P 

So, it boils down to will the game need to upload more than 0.5 Mbit/s.  My vote is for "no", but if you know otherwise, I guess this is the time to say so :D 

Sorry for the very late reply, i somehow missed the notifications to some of your responses and i haven't seen them until the people above commented on this yesterday?. Anyway, as u guys were discussing it could depend on the usage by the game. My recent experiences gaming on bad connections was on 1st of January where our ISP did some throttling to the speeds as they were giving unlimited data for 24hrs.:S speeds went down to 1Mbps download and 0.5Mbps upload but ping remained at 20. played the game world of tanks and in game ping was 400 most of the time. pretty sure the download and upload speed did not stay on the previously mentioned numbers as the ping in game kept going up and down continuously. Browsing was also impossible at certain times. I guess its a good thing to have at least 3Mbps download and 1Mbps upload to have a smooth experience