amiibo discussion thread...plus info on upcoming re-stocks...

Restocks of the scarce amiibo are due at the end of June in the pacific rim area and (reportedly) Australia.

Pre-orders for the new line of amiibo also now open at ebgames.com.au and Gamestop.com 

Just a heads-up.

Prices of Breath of the Wild amiibo have increased three to four fold outside of the pacific rim and have more or less sold out accross Europe, probably due to the unforseen popularity of the Switch and Breath of the Wild.

Restocks of the more scarce amiibo are due at the end of June (at least for the pacific rim and Australia)...whether the amiibo just at the point of becoming scarce are due to be replenished also, or if its just the amiibo in high demand that are to be restocked remains to be seen. Nintendo have said it's not just as simple as ratcheting up a bunch of robots in a factory (my paraphrasis) but rather there is a lot of complexity involved in maintaining the level of quality needed.

There's no telling what the demand may be considering the current scarcity, so, if there's an amiibo you want, best to pre-order it as soon as pre-orders are available.

That out of the way, do you have amiibo?

I've been buying them, as and when I can find them cheap, for their functionality...I really love Kirby Planet Robobot and the ability to scan in abilities/powers to play through the game repeatedly with different move-sets has moved me to purchase (and take an interest in amiibo).

So far I have:

Ness (Kirby Psi Copy Ability)
Famicon Rob (Purely because I wanted one)
Both Luigis (anticipating a  new Luigi's Mansion title)
Toad (for Captain Toad Treasure Tracker)
Chibi Robo (I got it cheap as a two-for one and Chibi-Robo Whiplash is a pretty cool game)
Little Mac (for Kirby Fighter Copy Ability)
Kirby (Smash Bros version) for scanning Kirby Smash Bros move-set into Planet Robobot. 
Meta Knight (Smash Bros version)...because I basically want all of the Kirby-related amiibo for potential new Kirby game releases.

The following are currently in transit to me:

Inkling Boy (Kirby Poison Copy Ability)
Olimar (in anticipation of Hey Pikmin...it may do nothing, but I found one cheap as a two-for-one with another amiibo I needed, so picked it up on the off-chance)
Kirby (Wii-u / Planet Robobot version) for the "exclusive" UFO Kirby
Dr Mario (for the Kirby Doctor Copy Ability)
Falco (for the Kirby Jet Copy Ability)

On my Want List:

30th Anniversary (Toon) Zelda (Restocks in June) ... for the Kirby Mirror Copy Ability
Windwaker Toon Link (Restocks in June) ...on the off-chance that it might unlock the King of Red Dragons in a future Zelda release or update (Super Smash bros link unlocks Epona in Breath of the Wild, and Wolf Link unlocks a wolf that will accompany you through the game). 
Pit (regular not Dark) Kirby Archer Copy Ability
Jigglypuff (Kirby Mic Copy Ability)
Zero Suit Samus (Whip Copy Ability)
Waddle DeeDee (Parasol Ability)
King DeDeDe (either type)
Boo (In anticipation of a new Luigi's Mansion game, and what it potentially could unlock)
Pikmin (New amiibo, available from sometime in July onwards) for extra Pikmin in Hey Pikmin and for the Kirby Leaf Copy Ability.
Sheik (Restocks in June) for the Kirby Ninja Copy Ability.
Bowser Jr. (Kirby Bomb Copy Ability)
Bowser (Kirby Stone Copy Ability)

If you're into amiibo, post your lists?  Want lists, got lists, and if you bought them for their functionality or just because you like them?

Also...pre-orders are open for "Hey Pikmin" at Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.ca but, at time of posting, not yet at Amazon.com. 

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

I ended up grabbing the OoT link a while ago. Glad I did cause theyre going for dumb prices now. 

I ended up grabbing the OoT link a while ago. Glad I did cause theyre going for dumb prices now. 

I know...the prices are pretty ridiculous...there's just no way I'm going to pay that for them, I'm just waiting for the re-stocks...I'm just waiting to place pre-orders for the ones I want...luckily it's not that many, as even at regular prices buying all of this stuff is pretty expensive.

I've bought a few in anticipation of what they might do and a couple because I got price reductions buying more than one on eBay but generally, if an amiibo doesn't have a function that's valuable to me I'm probably going to skip it. Having said that, they are pretty cool even so, but I just don't really have the kind of space where they'd be good as display items (right now they're temporarily hanging out on my AV Rceiver but I'll have to move them off of it before use it (because of the heat issues)).

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

Im almost at the point where Im just gonna make my own NFC tags. LOL

46 minutes ago, Mutoh said:

Im almost at the point where Im just gonna make my own NFC tags. LOL

I had considered that, but...I kind of like the amiibo...I find they really do add to the experience. I'm just trying not to pay too much for them.

I want all of the zelda amiibos, I would like more but I don't have money to get them all, or the room unfortunately. But I love a ton of the zelda games and am just a big fan. Unfortunately the only one I have been able to find in any store is the link rider. But I bought Ganandorf, Link, And Sheik (All SSB) from someone for $35 for all three. Then I'm supposed to get Link Archer next week

3 hours ago, vladonizer said:

I want all of the zelda amiibos, I would like more but I don't have money to get them all, or the room unfortunately. But I love a ton of the zelda games and am just a big fan. Unfortunately the only one I have been able to find in any store is the link rider. But I bought Ganandorf, Link, And Sheik (All SSB) from someone for $35 for all three. Then I'm supposed to get Link Archer next week

I got a Dr Mario and a Falco reduced as amazon warehouse deals, because the boxes were damaged, but I was going to open them anyway, so it worked out (I don't like buying boxed or sealed things because I just never can bring myself to open them).

Currently I have two Wii-U series Kirby's that'll give Planet Robobot Kirby a crazy UFO ability exclusive to that amiibo, but, they arrived with absolutely pristine condition boxes, and the stock's disappearing, so...now, I just don't want to open either of them.

But they are so expensive, when you need to get a lot of them; I'm just trying not to think about that side of it (and trying to pick them up cheap as and where I can find them for a good price).

But I do want a Sheik and a Toon Zelda so I"m probably going to pre-order when they're re-stocked...I can't believe what people are paying for these things, I can only imagine they don't know Nintendo are intending to re-stock more or less all of these.

39 minutes ago, GuruMeditationError said:

I got a Dr Mario and a Falco reduced as amazon warehouse deals, because the boxes were damaged, but I was going to open them anyway, so it worked out (I don't like buying boxed or sealed things because I just never can bring myself to open them).

Currently I have two Wii-U series Kirby's that'll give Planet Robobot Kirby a crazy UFO ability exclusive to that amiibo, but, they arrived with absolutely pristine condition boxes, and the stock's disappearing, so...now, I just don't want to open either of them.

But they are so expensive, when you need to get a lot of them; I'm just trying not to think about that side of it (and trying to pick them up cheap as and where I can find them for a good price).

But I do want a Sheik and a Toon Zelda so I"m probably going to pre-order when they're re-stocked...I can't believe what people are paying for these things, I can only imagine they don't know Nintendo are intending to re-stock more or less all of these.

Thanks for letting me know they will re-stock their amiibos at some point, gives me hope of collecting them

16 hours ago, vladonizer said:

Thanks for letting me know they will re-stock their amiibos at some point, gives me hope of collecting them

Yes...Nintendo have said that they intend to support all of the amiibo (possibly with the exception of Gold Mario, which I think was a Best Buy exclusive?)...they even re-stocked the ones that were so unpopular no one wanted them...but then they became collectors items, so Nintendo made more of them.

But they are very high quality products that require a lot of different processes including (I think) human handling as part of the manufacturing process, and as such it seems they're not the easiest thing to make and not something you want a surplus of, so...it seem they will go out of stock for periods of time.

The reason for the run on Zelda amiibo is due, it seems, to the unforeseen popularity of Breath of the Wild (Nintendo have doubled manufacture of the Switch, almost certainly because of the unforeseen popularity of Breath of the Wild)...either people don't care about the money they're spending, or, they're not aware that amiibo are in no way limited edition (apart from maybe stuff like the Gold Mario Best Buy exclusive and the two-in-one boxes that they're not going to be obliged to reproduce as long as they're producing singles on an ongoing basis) but are in-fact, more or less all, going to be re-stocked.

Also, it seems the reason for the discontinuation of the production of the NES classic was to turn manufacturing resources over to production of the SNES classic, which is currently in the works...it seems that demand was such for the NES Classic that, along with projected demand for the SNES classic, Nindendo just decided to halt production on the NES Classic and just start manufacturing SNES classics...the demand is expected to be huge.

The earliest scheduled newly released amiibo (as per Nintendo's website) are Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword and Majora's Mask Links, due to be available on 23rd June 2017...but (at the time that I'm typing this) amazon.co.uk doesn't yet have pages for them, even just offering email notification of upcoming pre-order availability (ebgames.com.au and Gamestop.com are already offering pre-orders). 

4 hours ago, GuruMeditationError said:

Snip

They have web pages here (US) but I believe have already had the pre orders filled :/

EDIT: Someone is selling a Gold Mario (opened) close to me for 10 bucks

1 hour ago, vladonizer said:

They have web pages here (US) but I believe have already had the pre orders filled :/

EDIT: Someone is selling a Gold Mario (opened) close to me for 10 bucks

Are you sure? I thought they just weren't open for pre-order yet...?

gamestop.de also has pages up but the option to pre-order is grayed out. Amazon.co.uk don't even have pages for any of them yet, nor does Amazon.de

I'm pretty sure they've not yet been open for pre-order, but I could be wrong. 

@vladonizer  I think Gold Mario was originally an exclusive, but I just ran a search and they're in stock at amazon.com: https://www.amazon.com/Mario-amiibo-Super-Nintendo-Wii-U/dp/B00U6Y7ISC

$10 doesn't sound too bad but not sure what the going rate is for one of those open? It's not one I've personally been planning on picking up, but if it had good functionality (in terms of what it did if I scanned it in) I'd probably pick one up.  At the moment I'm prioritising the Kirby/Wii-U series Kirby amiibo...they're getting scarce where I am and I'm playing planet Robobot at the moment.

1 minute ago, vladonizer said:

Wow, okay...that I wasn't expecting. 

Which amiibo did you call Gamestop about?

17 minutes ago, GuruMeditationError said:

Wow, okay...that I wasn't expecting. 

Which amiibo did you call Gamestop about?

The twilight princess one, since it's the only new zelda one coming out, I didn't know about re-stocks at the time

Just now, vladonizer said:

The twilight princess one, since it's the only new zelda one coming out, I didn't know about re-stocks at the time

Omg...yeah...they've already sold... :( 

I ran some searches and it seems the pre-orders in the U.S. went live on the 13th of last month. :( 

I've just placed a pre-order for the Hey Pikmin amiibo at game.co.uk; those are live now but the Zelda amiibo have sold out. :/ 

8 minutes ago, GuruMeditationError said:

Omg...yeah...they've already sold... :( 

I ran some searches and it seems the pre-orders in the U.S. went live on the 13th of last month. :( 

I've just placed a pre-order for the Hey Pikmin amiibo at game.co.uk; those are live now but the Zelda amiibo have sold out. :/ 

I'm hoping to be able to get them the day they come out, when are the re releases going to hit the shelves?

58 minutes ago, vladonizer said:

I'm hoping to be able to get them the day they come out, when are the re releases going to hit the shelves?

To be honest I don't know....I'm getting conflicting information wherever I look, none of it seems particularly clear.

I just managed to place a pre-order for the two Beyonetta amiibo at Game.co.uk but it seems they may have already sold out of the Zelda amiibo...if so, it seems amazon.co.uk's been passed by completely, which I'm finding hard to believe, but they don't even have pages for the new amiibo.

Restocks are reportedly due towards the end of June in the pacific rim area and Australia, but if Amazon.co.uk didn't even get the first batch of these new amiibo, it's anyone's guess whether any of the restocks will make it over here...as for the U.S., I can't tell you...I'm going to keep looking at it though.

Okay...so, U.K. pre-orders of the new amiibo are live, if you can find them...they seem to be dotted here and there, on the net, and the only mention of the new Link amiibo is at Game.co.uk and states the pre-orders are filled...it seems Amazon didn't even receive any, or, if they did, they're just not displaying out-of-stock pages for them.

[edit:] Amazon.fr has pages for the new Links, showing them as unavailable, as does amazon.it and amazon.es...amazon.nl on the other hand seems to barely even exist, with the closest they get to an amiibo being listings for various ebooks...

...so...with regards the three new Link amiibo (and at this point, probably also the regular Cloud amiibo)...

...expect them on sale in bulk for three to four times their retail price on eBay sometime after the 23rd June.

As for the other amiibo...amazon.de is sold out of the two Bayonetta's the two Clouds and the two Corrins...at time of writing Game.co.uk has the two Beyonettas and one of the Clouds and both Corrins still available for pre-order.

The new Pikmin and new Splatoon amiibo seem to still be available everywhere, apart from amazon.co.uk who it seems didn't receive stock of the new Pikmin Amiibo (either that or they've sold through their pre-order allotment and just aren't displaying an out-of-stock page for them).

Restock pre-orders available now at: https://www.nin-nin-game.com

I've pre-ordered a Toon Zelda and a Sheik. 

Not sure I should post this for, manifold reasons but...my order reference is: assexcjoy  :D (for a second I wasn't sure what I'd ordered).

nin-nin.png

That is pretty hilarious xD I've seen sheik on ebay for like $90 before, it's crazy

16 minutes ago, vladonizer said:

That is pretty hilarious xD I've seen sheik on ebay for like $90 before, it's crazy

I know...I couldn't stop smiling when I saw it...I was worried about the expense, but when I saw that I just totally forgot about it.  :D

But yeah...totally ridiculous...I don't know if they're ever going to meet the demand with this stuff, I was thinking that it was genuinely because the stuff was hard to produce but to be honest I'm not sure if it's not just Nintendo being Nintendo again...the pre-orders for Toon Link and Sheik are closed again at Nin-Gaming. 30th Anniversary (Toon) Zelda is still available there but I've not checked the rest.

Currently there's a Toon Link listed at game.co.uk for (at the time that I'm writing this) £149.99  ...it's insanity: no one's going to pay that for it.

I find it a bit frustrating...it's bad enough that Nintendo's shaking everyone by the ankles yet again for all the spare money they have available, but forcing artificial scarcity like this and causing the stress that comes with it is, in my opinion, just unethical.

But that's why I have a love-hate relationship with Nintendo: they make great product but if you want to get your hands on it you literally have to have the Nintendo website open at upcoming and new releases in one browser window, and your bank account open in another.

For me they manage to maintain a kind of parity where I'm not really a fan but I'm also not prepared to just turn my back on it all...at least as long as I get to vent about how I think Nintendo is a terrible terrible organisation once in a while...but I guess their aim ultimately isn't to please people, it's to make money, but stuff like this scarcity I just think is exploitative and immoral.

...er, yeah...sorry about that...don't mean to get heavy but...this kind of sucks?

1 hour ago, GuruMeditationError said:

...er, yeah...sorry about that...don't mean to get heavy but...this kind of sucks?

Yes it does kind of suck, but at the same time I like how not everyone can just decide they want all of them and then go to the store to get them. I wish they were a little easier to find, but at the same time it makes it a little more fun to try to collect them

5 hours ago, vladonizer said:

Yes it does kind of suck, but at the same time I like how not everyone can just decide they want all of them and then go to the store to get them. I wish they were a little easier to find, but at the same time it makes it a little more fun to try to collect them

I guess there's something to be said for that, it's just I find it really stressful, to the point where I just don't enjoy it. I enjoy using it, but I retro-game and a lot of the stuff I want/need is legacy and disappearing fast or requires a lot of upkeep and it's kind of stopped being fun for me; I find it really arduous at times, to the point of being really punishing, especially since my money's limited. 

Really I should play more, but I never seem to get around to it because I spend all of my time tracking down the stuff I need at reasonable prices.

With this amiibo stuff I just can't help but think it's Nintendo letting this situation develop like this and I think it's just really bad practice. I don't think it's fair on their customers, I think it's really exploitative...

...but I'm working around the clock revising my tech at the moment and it's kind of exhausting me...? so...maybe I just don't have the resilience for all of this right now...if not for my obsessive OCD constant checking I wouldn't have got the Beyonettas or the Sheik, and there's no attempt on the part of the supply chain to stop them going into the hands of scalpers...I just think the whole thing is just bad practice from the top down...I have to seperate the time I sit down to play from all of the stress of having to find it all, but the stuff I have does make that easy (at least it's what I'm into, even if my tastes aren't too mainstream).

3 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

The only amiibo I wanted/actually put a hold on for was a Kirby one.  Cuz Kirby master race.

I want all the Kirby amiibo...I bought most of the amiibo I have, to use with Planet Robobot, to replay the game with each of the skill-sets. I'm really enjoying it...I think I might try and seek out some of the earlier Kirby titles also. 

40 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Mine was for amiibo uses, but now he just sits there with the Cyberdemon, Cayde-6, Deadpool, the 10th Doctor with Tardis, and Gir.

Mine are all sitting on top of my AV receiver, I need to find somewhere to put them, but I've not really got anywhere they can go.  I'm going to get a Mario just so that I can put him in the middle and arrange them so they look a little better...I literally really only bought them for the functionality, but some of them are pretty cool.

11 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

I got rid of my wii u and 3ds.  Getting rid of my GC next because I'm moving, and I really only got it for hoarding reasons.

I need to keep mine to run the games I like...there's not that many I really enjoy -- only a few from each system -- so I've got more or less one of every console from the GBA up to the Wii-U and PS3...I'll pick up the newer ones probably in a year or so (maybe two years), when I have the money and they get a little cheaper. The oldest console I have is an imported Famicom, but that's purely to play Sweet Home (the game Biohazard/Resident Evil was originally being made as a sequel to? It's a movie licence game from a Japanese Horror film called Sweet Home...it turned into Biohazard during its production. I have a flashed ROM with the fan translation...unfortunately, so far, I've only had time to check if it's working...because my living space isn't such that I can set up a console at the moment (I'm playing GBA and 3DS at the moment)).