Is this a good buy? What should I offer? ASUS Xonar Essence ST 24-bit 192KHz PCI

SnowBob

Hello guys, someone at my school is selling this sound card. I've been interested in getting one for a while but don't know much about them. Is this one worth getting? Are there any concerns with it? I use Klipsch Reference One Headphones and would use this for music not gaming or movies.

Would like to hear your opinions on it. Thank you

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/sys/4200042863.html

Not worth getting. Don't bother.

Case-NZXT H440 | Motherboard-Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H | RAM-Kingston HyperX Blue 2x8GB 1600MHz | CPU-Intel 3770K @ 4.3GHz at 1.215v | Heatsink-Coolermaster Hyper212 Evo | GPU-EVGA GTX660 SC | SSD-MX200 250GB | HDD-Seagate Barracuda 3TB | PSU-EVGA GS650

Mouse-Logitech G600 | Keyboard-Ducky Shine 3 MX Blue. white backlight | Headphones-Audiotechnica ATH-M50s. Beyerdynamic DT990

Hello guys, someone at my school is selling this sound card. I've been interested in getting one for a while but don't know much about them. Is this one worth getting? Are there any concerns with it? I use Klipsch Reference One Headphones and would use this for music not gaming or movies.

Would like to hear your opinions on it. Thank you

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/sys/4200042863.html

Klipsch headphone? Nope nope nope.

Asus soundcard equally nope.

I wouldn't at all. 

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

Why is this a no from everyone? Not arguing just curious what makes it bad?

Ive been extremely happy with my headphones especially since i got them for $80. They are nice on my iphone and sound way better on my laptop so I figured a sound card or DAC would boost the experience further. What are my options?

Nopety nope nope nope.

Just in case the last 3 posts didn't give you the information you needed:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPE!

Just like two exclamation marks = not necessary.  Like a "get one free" voucher when someone else is paying = not necessary.  Just like spare tyre on a tank = not necessary.. snift my drift? not necessary!

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Ive been extremely happy with my headphones especially since i got them for $80. They are nice on my iphone and sound way better on my laptop so I figured a sound card or DAC would boost the experience further. What are my options?

Nothing, just a bad value for a sound card, not a good sound card in the first place, and your headphone won't make use of even the lowest end device.

They add nothing to the audio quality signal.  Onboard audio is just as good, and even better in some cases due to impedance matching.  So not worth paying for.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

It would be more helpful to the opening poster if you guys actually explained why not. :mellow:

It would be more helpful to the opening poster if you guys actually explained why not. :mellow:

You mean like the posts quoted below?  :huh:

Nothing, just a bad value for a sound card, not a good sound card in the first place, and your headphone won't make use of even the lowest end device.

They add nothing to the audio quality signal.  Onboard audio is just as good, and even better in some cases due to impedance matching.  So not worth paying for.

You mean like the posts quoted below?  :huh:

Actually yes- I fail at reading.

So what would be a good sound card (assuming he gets better headphone or speakers)? Or are all soundcards not worth it?

So what would be a good sound card (assuming he gets better headphone or speakers)? Or are all soundcards not worth it?

@MayflowerElectronics

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

FiiO E10, or spend the money on a night out with a girl.  :)

Sound cards are bad. Read the FAQ at the top of the audio forum.

I've seen too many problems with fiio's so I'm personally going to stop recommending them. I've also learned a little bit more about the company from a fellow Industry leader and they're not to far off from snake oil companies. I can't exactly say what product I would recommend as it's against the CoC but if you visit my profile you might get a hint.

I've seen too many problems with fiio's so I'm personally going to stop recommending them.

orly?

I've seen too many problems with fiio's so I'm personally going to stop recommending them. I've also learned a little bit more about the company from a fellow Industry leader and they're not to far off from snake oil companies. I can't exactly say what product I would recommend as it's against the CoC but if you visit my profile you might get a hint.

I have an Astro Mixamp Pro. Still running well :)

orly?

Yes I've seen a few problem threads on this forum alone, it comes to just generally Chinese build quality. It has more so to do with their business model and how they get their designs. (Cheating and using other peoples designs AKA nwavguy).

Yes I've seen a few problem threads on this forum alone.

That's funny, because I haven't.  :rolleyes:

I agree that they are an iffy company with iffy products, but still not worse than soundcards.

We don't stop recommending graphics cards or hard drives even though there are hundreds of threads on faulty products and bad experiences.  We know they have he potential to ship a bad unit, but 99% of the time they don't.   I have yet to hear of someone being refused a refund/exchange.  

Also given we don't know what the topology is and we only recommend based on listening experience  it it passed the blind test.  Nothing more you need to know really.

Graphics cards are immensely more complex than any amplifier on the market. They have several layers of circuitry with complex firmware and software to support the hardware. Video cards are a completely different electronic device from an audio amplifier with maybe 2 layers.

Sometimes there's more to a product than what it does, but whose behind the product. I choose to support companies who innovative and play by the rules. Neither of which Fiio does.

Graphics cards are immensely more complex than any amplifier on the market. They have several layers of circuitry with complex firmware and software to support the hardware. Video cards are a completely different electronic device from an audio amplifier with maybe 2 layers.

Sometimes there's more to a product than what it does, but whose behind the product. I choose to support companies who innovative and play by the rules. Neither of which Fiio does.

How do they not play by the rules?

They're innovative by pricing their products appropriately.

By copying other designs. The only product they have designed by themselves I believe is the E18? Everything else has been copied or OEM'd by another company.

Being cheap is innovative.

By copying other designs. The only product they have designed by themselves I believe is the E18? Everything else has been copied or OEM'd by another company.

Who cares if they didn't design the products themselves if you can't buy the original product anymore?