Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellrazor

Choosing a PSU

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hello, I'm on a tight budget for a new PC and I've found two PSUs that are suitable for my build. The one is the Corsair VS Series VS450 80Plus and the other is the EVGA 430W Power Supply 80 PLUS. I've read reviews about those two and I'm in a dilemma. The Corsair is good enough but It doesn't have good capacitors and it is not recommended for OC and the EVGA, I see a lot of people buying it but I trust Corsair more. Could someone tell which one is the most trusted?

 

Thank you for your time.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont have a vast amount of experience with PSUs, but for what it's worth, I bought a EVGA PSU two months ago because the corsair PSU I was using died on me. I have had absolutely no problems with my new PSU from EVGA :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah they are pretty low quality. At least consider stepping up to the higher quality Corsair VS500 or EVGA B450 (which are closely related designs both built by HEC).

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would go with the EVGA one. I've heard nothing but crap about low/mid range Corsair PSUs.


I had an account called Joegeddon active since April 20th 2015

Desktop

AMD Athlon X4 760K | MSI GTX 760 Reference 2GB | 8GB 1333MHz DDR3 | Thermaltake Versa H22 | ArcticRed 750W PSU | MSI FM2-G45-A88X Motherboard

 

Laptop - Asus UX303U

Intel i7 6500U | Intel 530 Graphics | 12GB 1600MHz DDR3 | 256GB SATA 3 SSD

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Joe_MacDougall said:

I would go with the EVGA one. I've heard nothing but crap about low/mid range Corsair PSUs.

The low-end EVGA units are just as crap. Often they're internally built the same way in the same factory.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Joe_MacDougall said:

I would go with the EVGA one. I've heard nothing but crap about low/mid range Corsair PSUs.

Corsair has quite a strong line up now; removing all the garbage from their product stack. 

 

The newer VSs (400/500/600), new CXs (450/550/650) are great step up from the older models VSs (350/450/550/650) and CXs (430/500/600)

 

EVGA on the other hand is just releasing everything left right and centre. Lots of non certified shit worse than the older VS's, and lots of PSUs at or below the old CX level. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

Corsair has quite a strong line up now; removing all the garbage from their product stack. 

 

The newer VSs (400/500/600), new CXs (450/550/650) are great step up from the older models VSs (350/450/550/650) and CXs (430/500/600)

 

EVGA on the other hand is just releasing everything left right and centre. Lots of non certified shit worse than the older VS's, and lots of PSUs at or below the old CX level. 

Yeah. I guess I saw "VS" and had flashbacks from past times. haha


I had an account called Joegeddon active since April 20th 2015

Desktop

AMD Athlon X4 760K | MSI GTX 760 Reference 2GB | 8GB 1333MHz DDR3 | Thermaltake Versa H22 | ArcticRed 750W PSU | MSI FM2-G45-A88X Motherboard

 

Laptop - Asus UX303U

Intel i7 6500U | Intel 530 Graphics | 12GB 1600MHz DDR3 | 256GB SATA 3 SSD

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, WantedStarling said:

Hello, I'm on a tight budget for a new PC and I've found two PSUs that are suitable for my build. The one is the Corsair VS Series VS450 80Plus and the other is the EVGA 430W Power Supply 80 PLUS. I've read reviews about those two and I'm in a dilemma. The Corsair is good enough but It doesn't have good capacitors and it is not recommended for OC and the EVGA, I see a lot of people buying it but I trust Corsair more. Could someone tell which one is the most trusted?

 

Thank you for your time.

Seasonic M12II 520 Evo edition.  It's around 45 USD after rebate and is fully modular, which are usually made with better quality components.  So if you can spring for it, I would definitely recommend it.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

Corsair has quite a strong line up now; removing all the garbage from their product stack. 

 

The newer VSs (400/500/600), new CXs (450/550/650) are great step up from the older models VSs (350/450/550/650) and CXs (430/500/600)

 

EVGA on the other hand is just releasing everything left right and centre. Lots of non certified shit worse than the older VS's, and lots of PSUs at or below the old CX level. 

The newer VSs still aren't great, just better than the old ones. The design is related to the EVGA B units, which are comparable in quality to the old Corsair CX units.

Link to post
Share on other sites
 

The newer VSs still aren't great, just better than the old ones. The design is related to the EVGA B units, which are comparable in quality to the old Corsair CX units.

I know, but I still think that is a great improvement and certainly the correct way to go with Corsair's products line. 

 

VS/CX/TX/RMx/RMi/HX/HXi/AX?/AXi? 

So much nicer and easily worked out which one is better.

 

I am kinda wished that Corsair went with the VX instead of the VS, it's not the same as the older VS or VXs and VX just echoed with the other Xs in Corsair's stack.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If Corsair is still using the same OEM for the VS450, it's a CWT built unit that does well for the price but uses inexpensive CapXon capacitors.

 

The EVGA 430W is an HEC/Compucase power supply, and also has CapXon capacitors inside.  In JonnyGURU's tests, it did fairly well, but didn't quite make the 80 Plus rating it was supposed to.

 

Neither one exactly makes it to lists of recommended power supplies, but if you can't afford better, then they are some of the better units at their uber-cheap price point.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

I also found the CX 430. Is it good, it costs 50 euros and due to the price I found respective for that price.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×