Did I brick my GTX 1080ti?

AndersT2
Go to solution Solved by AndersT2,

Got it working again. Crisis aworded.

Reinstalled Windows and everything seems to be working. Did a couple of minutes in "Tomb Raider" and it works without glitches. (Kinda impressed by the card, didn't start the fans anytime during the short test)

Thanks to everyone who took time to help.

Lession leaned, don't touch a GPU bios again.

Don't know what happened, but it seems somehow the Gigabyte way of flashing the bios, .exe file downloaded from the cards support site on gigabyte.com did f. up Windows somehow.

I tried to update the bios on my Gigabyte Aorus 1080TI Extreme Edition yesterday.

Downloaded the F4 bios their website, and ran the exe files. It went through what it needed, and I got the "It was a success" message, and rebooted as it wanted to.

After that, a few seconds after Windows loads, (I see the desktop), it stops and reboots.

It runs fine in Windows Safe mode.

Anybody know what I can do to fix it?

Sorry for the few off Capital letters in my posts, it does it on its own when I Write in English, since my OS is in another Language. It's annoying.

Why did you try to update the bios of your card...?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

19 minutes ago, johnny5c said:

Exactly, if it runs fine in safemode it's most likely a driver issue.

It doesn't use the GPU core in Safemode, I had a 770 that would boot fine in Safemode but would crash/artifact in Windows.  While it uses the GPU's outputs it runs all graphical tasks on the processor

idk

Yup me too.... I had the GTX 770 that was doing weird things.... Both fans worked but you wouldn't think they were because one fan would go haywire at 100% and then the other fan would just spin normally. I booted into safe mode to see what would happen and nothing happened. A lot of instructions aren't being pushed into the GPU in safe mode.

I guess the thermal controller was broke because temps were fine but the card was not performing as well when I first got it 8 months prior. It was just slowly dying and Zotac took it back right away with no issues and handed me the GTX 970.

Not sure this is bricked but maybe you should try to flash it again in safe mode if possible.

I know the feeling, lol. 

Download DDU and follow this video. 

|EVGA 850 P2| |1440p PG279Q| |X570 Aorus Extreme| |Ryzen 9 3950x WC| |FE 2080Ti WC|TridentZ Neo 64GB| |Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB x3

|Logitech G900|K70 Cherry MX Speed|  |Logitech Z906 |  |HD650|  |CaseLabs SMA8 (one of the last ones made)

4 minutes ago, ChubChub86 said:

NO, you did not brick your GTX 1080ti.

This is wrong. Very wrong.

I think you shou

17 hours ago, AndersT2 said:

I tried to update the bios on my Gigabyte Aorus 1080TI Extreme Edition yesterday.

Downloaded the F4 bios their website, and ran the exe files. It went through what it needed, and I got the "It was a success" message, and rebooted as it wanted to.

After that, a few seconds after Windows loads, (I see the desktop), it stops and reboots.

Just reflash the old bios 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

6 hours ago, Jumper118 said:

Just reflash the old bios 

Tried that. But just the same with the one from Gigabyte.

But are going to try it the hard way, with a DOS startup, and NVflash. Found a few instructions online.

If that don't work, I'll see if I can get some help localy, before trying the hardest way, and resetting it on the card.

Found some instructions on other cards that one can short a couple of pins, like on the motherboards, BUT that will take some serious research to find the right ones,

if it's at all possible on this card.

Sorry for the few off Capital letters in my posts, it does it on its own when I Write in English, since my OS is in another Language. It's annoying.

Techpowerup might have a BIOS for it you could try.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

1 hour ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

Techpowerup might have a BIOS for it you could try.

Tbh he should have already saved the stock one before updating it

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

2 hours ago, kronickiller said:

Thanks.

I was a little confused about the techpowerup, since it has more of the same one.

But now I can test a few different ones.

Question: All the guides I find on how to do the DOS flash, says to use another graphics card. Is this so one can use the computer to get the things set up, or is it needed to run the DOS enviroment?

Since my card runs, and I have another computer to fix the boot drive ect, Do I need to take the step of adding another card?

I have a AMD card I can use, so it won't confuse it with another Nvidia card, but if it's really not needed, I could jump over that step.

2 hours ago, AndersT2 said:

Question: All the guides I find on how to do the DOS flash, says to use another graphics card. Is this so one can use the computer to get the things set up, or is it needed to run the DOS enviroment?

Since my card runs, and I have another computer to fix the boot drive ect, Do I need to take the step of adding another card?

I have a AMD card I can use, so it won't confuse it with another Nvidia card, but if it's really not needed, I could jump over that step.

It's just to run the DOS environment. Make sure to set the card number to 1 instead of 0 in the line, as using 0 would select the card currently being used as a display (most of the time, anyway. There's a command to figure out which number is which card, but I cannot remember it).

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

47 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

It's just to run the DOS environment. Make sure to set the card number to 1 instead of 0 in the line, as using 0 would select the card currently being used as a display (most of the time, anyway. There's a command to figure out which number is which card, but I cannot remember it).

Where do I set the card numbers?

Just now, AndersT2 said:

Where do I set the card numbers?

In the command used in the DOS environment to flash the card, you see how there's a 0? You might need to change that to a 1. You cannot set the value that the card uses, so you'll have to run the command to figure out which card is what.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

On 5/9/2017 at 9:50 PM, AndersT2 said:

load your old bios onto it. if you didnt save.. your fucked and you kinda brought it upon yourself. always save the bios. you could try @kronickillers bios too
i doubt drivers are the issue

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

aparently this card has dual bios

Gigabyte is including a vast array of monitor outputs: 1x DVI, 3x DisplayPort, and 3x HDMI. These outputs are more than the NVIDIA GPU can support, so Gigabyte lets you switch between DVI and two additional HDMI ports (one HDMI is always active). An automated switching mechanism handles everything, but requires a reboot; during startup, the connected monitors are checked and the appropriate BIOS is selected. This could also serve as remedy during a failed BIOS flash - connect a different monitor to make the card select the second BIOS, so you can at least use the system. Flashing back isn't possible, though, because I'm not aware of any way to switch the BIOS before initiating the flashing process while the system is running.

20 hours ago, TheRandomness said:

In the command used in the DOS environment to flash the card, you see how there's a 0? You might need to change that to a 1. You cannot set the value that the card uses, so you'll have to run the command to figure out which card is what.

I think you have to dumb it down a little bit for me. I'm unfamiliar with the dos enviroment, so I don't know how to change it.

I've run the nvflash and it says it's been changed, but still it won't work. It could be because of the dual bios on the Card?

EDIT: Found where it says "0" now, but not how to change it to "1"

12 minutes ago, AndersT2 said:

I think you have to dumb it down a little bit for me. I'm unfamiliar with the dos enviroment, so I don't know how to change it.

I've run the nvflash and it says it's been changed, but still it won't work. It could be because of the dual bios on the Card?

EDIT: Found where it says "0" now, but not how to change it to "1"

Are you typing a command similar to 'nvflash.exe -f -p 0 bios_name.rom'?

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats