What headphones should I buy?

Guest Storm10
Go to solution Solved by SSL,
15 minutes ago, aithos said:

I knew when I bought the HD650s that they were a stepping stone, but I get where you're coming from too... because for a lot of people the HD650 may be as far as they care to go and they want them to sound as great as possible!

I've "gone farther" than the HD 650, if by farther you mean shelling out thousands of dollars on "better" headphones. At the end of the day, it was fruitless. There just isn't a lot in the realm of full-sized headphones that is legitimately better than the HD 650, at least in terms of technicalities.

I need recommendations and I'm new to audio.

budget?

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, themctipers said:

budget?

Any price.

Just now, mpsparrow said:

and what are you using them for? Gaming? Music?

I'm not going be listening to music very often and I will game most of the time.

6 minutes ago, Storm10 said:

Any price.

That's really not useful. Tell us what budget you're aiming for. Look over here, anyway.

17 minutes ago, Storm10 said:

Any price.

https://en-nz.sennheiser.com/sennheiser-he-1 

cough*

CPU: Intel i7-4790K @ stock for now --- RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16Gb --- MOBO: Asus Maximus VII Formula --- GPU: MSI Gaming GTX 980ti --- PSU: Corsair AX860i  ---  Storage: Samsung 850 250gb(OS), 3x Western Digital Blue 3tb (one for game and programs, two for media), 3tb WD Green(somewhat backup) and a Crucial M550 120gb SSD (caching games and programs drive)  --- Case: Fractal Define R5 --- Cooler: Corsair H100i with Noctua 2000rpm, Industrial Fans --- OS: Windows 10 --- Monitor: Asus PB298q + AOC l2260SWD --- Mouse: Logitech G502 Spectrum --- Keyboard: Corsair K70 (Cherry MX Red) Red LED's --- Audio: Audio Engine A2's (yes the originals), Sennheiser HD 58x Jubilee Audio-Technica ATH-AD900x, Audio-Technica ATH-M50x, Ant Lion Mod Mic V4 --- Laptop: Dell XPS 9750 

9 minutes ago, Storm10 said:

@Jade@mpsparrow, @themctipers $1000 and up.

oh O.o

Well... that limits your options quite a bit, but to only the best so that's good I guess? :P 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

26 minutes ago, Storm10 said:

@Jade@mpsparrow, @themctipers $1000 and up.

With that sort of budget, you NEED to go into a proper audio store and try some out.

CPU: Intel i7-4790K @ stock for now --- RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16Gb --- MOBO: Asus Maximus VII Formula --- GPU: MSI Gaming GTX 980ti --- PSU: Corsair AX860i  ---  Storage: Samsung 850 250gb(OS), 3x Western Digital Blue 3tb (one for game and programs, two for media), 3tb WD Green(somewhat backup) and a Crucial M550 120gb SSD (caching games and programs drive)  --- Case: Fractal Define R5 --- Cooler: Corsair H100i with Noctua 2000rpm, Industrial Fans --- OS: Windows 10 --- Monitor: Asus PB298q + AOC l2260SWD --- Mouse: Logitech G502 Spectrum --- Keyboard: Corsair K70 (Cherry MX Red) Red LED's --- Audio: Audio Engine A2's (yes the originals), Sennheiser HD 58x Jubilee Audio-Technica ATH-AD900x, Audio-Technica ATH-M50x, Ant Lion Mod Mic V4 --- Laptop: Dell XPS 9750 

33 minutes ago, SCGazelle said:

The Sennheiser HD 800 are the most expensive ones of pcpartpicker so they must be good right?

That's not exactly good reasoning, but they are quite good.

32 minutes ago, astrosheen said:

With that sort of budget, you NEED to go into a proper audio store and try some out.

That sounds like a good idea personally.  Or if you do order online, make sure you can do it from somewhere that returning isn't a hassle.  For that kind of money, you want to be happy, and have no reason not to be.

--

Have you given any thought to what amp and DAC you'll be using?  Anything at that pricepoint deserves one and it will make a difference.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Any price?

Please go ahead and get the Sennheiser Orpheus. Unless you be specific on what you want, likings and how much you want, people will either troll you or give you viable suggestions.

Cpu R5 1600 @3.7ghz - MB Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 - RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GBx2 @3000mhz - GPU Palit GTX 1070ti Dual - Storage Kingston FuryX 120GB SSD, WD 500GB Green HDD, Seagate 1TB HDD - PSU Seasonic X650 - Case Sharkoon S25-W - Display Zowie XL2411 - Peripherals Filco Ninja Browns, Zowie FK2 & Qck Hyperbeast Ed.

11 hours ago, Storm10 said:

I need recommendations.

The blue lola's have amazing sound quality, but there are some newer headphones by blue which will give you a great music experience as well as gaming experience. The modeling on the lola's are a bit big but I dont care how they look as long as they deliver on sound quality. They do and I choose blue, getting there newest wireless headphones when they come out.

11 hours ago, Storm10 said:

I need recommendations.

For gaming, get some nice 'gaming' headphones. I recommend the razer manowar 7.1 because they have nice surround sound.

12 hours ago, Storm10 said:

I'm not going be listening to music very often and I will game most of the time.

I think this was subconsciously overwritten in my brain when I saw you had a $1000+ budget... good thing I went back to reread.  Frankly, this seems like a waste.  People buy expensive audio gear for music and movies, not gaming.  For gaming, you'll want good imaging to you can tell where people are, and quality that doesn't leave you wanting for more, but those are not really that hard to get and certainly don't require spending $1000.

7 hours ago, dylants said:

For gaming, get some nice 'gaming' headphones. I recommend the razer manowar 7.1 because they have nice surround sound.

7.1 Headphones

Is the Sennheiser - HMD280-PRO a good headset for gaming?

6 minutes ago, Storm10 said:

Is the Sennheiser - HMD280-PRO a good headset for gaming?

You don't need a new thread, you can continue that here

I would go for a good quality headphone and a seperate detachable mic, like ModMic for example and a reasonable open back headphone, but that depends if open back suits your environment since everyone will be able to hear you and you will be able to hear everyone, but you will hear you enemies with increased precision.

1 hour ago, ZeBigLOL said:

I would go for a good quality headphone and a seperate detachable mic, like ModMic for example and a reasonable open back headphone, but that depends if open back suits your environment since everyone will be able to hear you and you will be able to hear everyone, but you will hear you enemies with increased precision.

Like the Beyerdynamic T1 which are semi-open and Antlion Modmic 5?

54 minutes ago, Storm10 said:

Like the Beyerdynamic T1 which are semi-open and Antlion Modmic 5?

sure get T1's are prepare for ear bleeding treble.

You must give us something. What DAC and amp do you have? What kind of sound signature are you looking for?

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

On 5/11/2017 at 7:55 AM, Dackzy said:

sure get T1's are prepare for ear bleeding treble.

You must give us something. What DAC and amp do you have? What kind of sound signature are you looking for?

Is this a good dac/amp? http://amzn.to/2qf8XYQ