Laptop unplugged performance BAD

(New user to laptops here)

So I recently decided to buy an ASUS GL552 laptop, equipped with a GTX960M.

The problem (which I'm over now) is that the laptop cant run anywhere near full performance when it's unplugged.

Sources I've found suggest the battery itself isn't enough power alone to fully power the GPU, which makes sense now.

But as a consumer, shouldn't I be given SOME form of warning that performance isn't really mobile?

I don't just mean on the manufacturers product page, I mean...

I've watched probably 100 different laptop reviews before buying, seriously not even once did unplugged performance ever come up.

Google searches, reviews (video and written), nothing. Almost like everyone's been paid to keep quiet.

CALL TO ARMS, if a laptop cant run on battery, the standard should be 2 benchmarks.

-Thanks for your time ;)

battery settings -> high performance.

:) 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

It can run off battery, You just need to go into the Nvidia settings and tell it when its on battery to use the dGPU not the intel one, worry not friend you can put the pitch fork down. 

the reason why they don't is because it will tear through battery life. guess they not expecting anyone to be playing Witcher 3 on the bus commute. 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

Believe me, I've gone through all the settings.

High performance

Always prefer Nvidia high performance video (in 3D settings)

Changed around all the geforce batteryboost to be performance.

All that, it just isn't there.

People who have talked about it, say the power just isn't high enough.

It's true. My laptop (6500u and 965m) cant run off of its 55wh battery playing games.

Unfortunately, it seems like some manufacturers have decided to limit performance while on battery to extend battery life. There's nothing you can do about it.

My brother's Lenovo Z510 and my Lenovo Y520 have the similar situation. Games can only be played on low settings while on battery.

I guess set to prefer maximum performance doesn't help at all

Edited by ZM Fong

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

10 minutes ago, Duskfang said:

Believe me, I've gone through all the settings.

High performance

Always prefer Nvidia high performance video (in 3D settings)

Changed around all the geforce batteryboost to be performance.

All that, it just isn't there.

People who have talked about it, say the power just isn't high enough.

Those worked with my MSI laptop but that is a 860m so you might be right in that it just can't be done, in that case I completely agree with you about that should be mentioned and I'm off to fetch my pitchfork to help you out with some Witch burning 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

20 minutes ago, Duskfang said:

(New user to laptops here)

So I recently decided to buy an ASUS GL552 laptop, equipped with a GTX960M.

The problem (which I'm over now) is that the laptop cant run anywhere near full performance when it's unplugged.

Sources I've found suggest the battery itself isn't enough power alone to fully power the GPU, which makes sense now.

But as a consumer, shouldn't I be given SOME form of warning that performance isn't really mobile?

I don't just mean on the manufacturers product page, I mean...

I've watched probably 100 different laptop reviews before buying, seriously not even once did unplugged performance ever come up.

Google searches, reviews (video and written), nothing. Almost like everyone's been paid to keep quiet.

CALL TO ARMS, if a laptop cant run on battery, the standard should be 2 benchmarks.

-Thanks for your time ;)

It just reduces performance to extend battery life, I saw a number answer this already, so I won't repeat that, but consumers really do expect to have their cake and eat it (a perfectly normal exception really, why would you have a cake and not eat it?) but you gotta choose between battery life and performance really, an understandable trade off. 

Yours faithfully

I've gone through windows' performance settings on a DV6 6000 series laptop (HD7000 series gpu) and I managed to get unplugged performance to match the plugged in performance, BUT I fried the battery. Popped the internal fuse...

My asus GL551 with the same GPU as you, I don't dare try the same change of settings...

6 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

It just reduces performance to extend battery life, I saw a number answer this already, so I won't repeat that, but consumers really do expect to have their cake and eat it (a perfectly normal exception really, why would you have a cake and not eat it?) but you gotta choose between battery life and performance really, an understandable trade off. 

Yeah, and I totally understand that my battery life will be entirely bunk.

My point is that it's not possible even if I wanted to.

This laptop still suits the needs that I have, but as a new buyer i feel a little like the rug was pulled out underneath me.

"modern games 60FPS*"   "1.5 Hour Battery life during gaming sessions**"

*Only if using AC adapter

**But only using CPU graphics or half clocked geforce

Heck, maybe i want to play 1-2 matches of overwatch on my lunch break at work? sue me lol

1 minute ago, Duskfang said:

Yeah, and I totally understand that my battery life will be entirely bunk.

My point is that it's not possible even if I wanted to.

This laptop still suits the needs that I have, but as a new buyer i feel a little like the rug was pulled out underneath me.

"modern games 60FPS*"   "1.5 Hour Battery life during gaming sessions**"

*Only if using AC adapter

**But only using CPU graphics or half clocked geforce

Heck, maybe i want to play 1-2 matches of overwatch on my lunch break at work? sue me lol

The marketing teams really do that, but they aren't lying per say. If you research the parts used before you buying you get a rough idea of what to expect, my now somewhat old ROG laptop has a 47 watt TDP CPU (TDP is NOT power draw, power draw is usually under TDP but can also go over TDP, TDP is just how much heat is given off but it usually is very close to max power draw) and a 75 watt TDP GPU with an 88 Whr battery, assuming on battery with max performance, it just removes the GPU AC overclock, and turbos the CPU a little less, you'd get only an hour, and that's I got. I do wish manufactures didn't let marketing teams be so loose though, but it keeps me in "business" recommending PCs and laptops that might actually not be power hogs for those that just want lightning fast facebook for 5 hours. 

Yours faithfully

3 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

The marketing teams really do that, but they aren't lying per say. If you research the parts used before you buying you get a rough idea of what to expect, my now somewhat old ROG laptop has a 47 watt TDP CPU (TDP is NOT power draw, power draw is usually under TDP but can also go over TDP, TDP is just how much heat is given off but it usually is very close to max power draw) and a 75 watt TDP GPU with an 88 Whr battery, assuming on battery with max performance, it just removes the GPU AC overclock, and turbos the CPU a little less, you'd get only an hour, and that's I got. I do wish manufactures didn't let marketing teams be so loose though, but it keeps me in "business" recommending PCs and laptops that might actually not be power hogs for those that just want lightning fast facebook for 5 hours. 

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. Like you are saying you don't have enough watt power to fully run cpu and gpu, let alone the rest of the components.

I've chalked this up to buyer beware, and maybe a PSA if you are looking into a gaming laptop (though the new gpus coming out are far more power efficient)

Next time I'll ask the guy working at staples about wattage :P

Hey, and maybe some youtube reviewer can make a video about this!

Would this an issue for laptops with large batteries? Been debating getting one and this is kind of a bummer.

16 hours ago, Mooshi said:

Would this an issue for laptops with large batteries? Been debating getting one and this is kind of a bummer.

Someone could probably give you a better technical answer, but hey.

As far as i know, the output power would likely be the same, but it would have longer battery life.

For example, the dell inspiron has a bigger battery than the ROG, but it just gives longer battery life.

This is not a battery issue. It's a power delivery issue. there's no way for a battery to deliver the amount of voltages required to power a full load CPU + GPU without the battery exploding. 

No bigger batteries do not help because batteries can only output so much. 

And it goes both ways. When the power adapter is not sufficient, if the laptop as the bios and firmware it will draw on battery power to keep everything fully powered. (downside of this is that the laptop will run out of battery plugged in and then the laptop will TDP throttle to however much the power adapter can push out). 

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

• 5 years later...

I found a way to get usable performance from a laptop preforming near unusable when unpugged! (solution Bolded)

I have a Xiaomi Notebook Air 2017 which I recently picked up and it was performing terribly once unplugged to the point where it would freeze up almost constantly even when doing basic tasks like youtube or even trying to open up a word document. 

Anyways the solution is to go into control panel and change minimum processor state in the advanced settings of either balanced, high performance, or power saving mode and change it from whatever percent it is (mine started at 5%) and change it to 50-75%.

This in my experience even improved battery life somehow but that could just be some sort of placebo effect due to being able to complete a task while on battery life. Hope this helps, LMK if you have any questions I will try and help