Car seat as a chair / Audi A8 Seat

Hi,

I´m developing one project right now, look what I´m trying to do:
I want to build one chair using one audi a8 seat, why? Because I can set the adjustments using the commands of the seat and make it warm or cold.

The seat has heater and ventilation, massage settings and adjustments for almost all the seat parts.

I found one A8 seat cheap and is working as it should, but I noticed that the deep adjustments are made in the LCD panel inside of the A8, but we can set the entire seat just connecting the PHASE and NEUTRAL to one power supply that can handle with 110v to 12v and 30A

This will work with almost all the electric seats, you just need patience and a little of help with electric diagrams.

Here is the project and some photos:

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Frame

s-l1600.jpg

Seat in white version

XDEqazM.jpg

Electric diagram of the Audi A8 Seat:

80-audia8seats_b39cd3ae21d68bdb5beb711cd

Diagram for wiring

Heatedseatwiring.jpg

Another example of wire connections:

HeatedSeatWiring.jpg~original
Wires and external connections for the seat

s-l1600.jpg

Yellow = AIRBAG PLUG - don´t touch and don´t cut, just live it alone or if you have anyone to help just remove the airbag module from the seat and sell it our trow it away

Project made with one seat from BMW E46

Project made with one seat from Citroen

Engineer of the seats:

For the seat to work properly, we need to find the electrical diagram of the seat and make the connections, fortunately most of the assemblers obey a standard in the assembly / connection of the seats, where the yellow pin is for the Airbag and we should avoid the same and Airbag may be removed from the seat to prevent accidents.

Simply plug the larger wires into a 12v and 20A or 30A power source, depending on the quality / power of your seat, if you do not want a wired chair, simply put a motorcycle battery under the chair and make a charger to plug into the socket when it is empty.

To connect the seat without a car or motorcycle battery, we need a power supply with 110 or 127/220/240 for 12v 30A or 20A (depending on your seat and number of engines).

s-l500.jpg

How to wire:

Just find the PHASE / NEUTRAL of the seat and turn on the PHASE and NEUTRAL of the source, do not forget to turn on the correct polarity, if you turn on the opposite the motors will turn in the counterclockwise direction

One project done with one BMW seat, ( google image )

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/4f/b2/99/4fb2992d0d0875d8c5dd04052844828a.jpg

I will post more photos as soon as I finish the project.

My entire home and projects:

https://hardforum.com/threads/post-your-workstations-2016.1887080/page-8#post-1042912905

Thanks

The seat and the bases made with stainless.

Vz2fbvx.jpg

doing the threads for the screws.

pHlmM18.jpg

Done

p0YRsQj.jpg

Back

CoiiWTz.jpg

Side

7vvMqqL.jpg

Now I will fix the support for the battery and start with the wiring
=]

For the cooling, does it take place in the seat or does it use the AC system?
You might not be able to use the feature.

Interesting idea. I think it'd be awfully heavy for a computer chair though, not to mention the weight needed to counter balance the chair.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

14 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Interesting idea. I think it'd be awfully heavy for a computer chair though, not to mention the weight needed to counter balance the chair.

99% sure cooling is done in the seat :D

as.jpg

10 minutes ago, dizmo said:

If it uses AC for cooling, he can just get a couple of Peltier coolers (lol, 3 days of babbling about these things. That $5.09 usd sale at Walmart has me stopping every time I drive by. Those things really kick ass. I'm thinking about putting a copper mount on the back of my mobo where the cpu is and putting another there. I'll just splice it to the one on the external intake fan. My PC is literally air conditioned now.

There is enough youth in this world, how about a fountain of smart?

For a racing sim setup I'm all for this, for a Normal chair it's insane! those chair weigh so much, and wiring all that up just seems like a wiring and getting tangled nightmare. 

But yeah enjoy man :) least its unique. 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

2 hours ago, crzyces said:

If it uses AC for cooling, he can just get a couple of Peltier coolers (lol, 3 days of babbling about these things. That $5.09 usd sale at Walmart has me stopping every time I drive by. Those things really kick ass. I'm thinking about putting a copper mount on the back of my mobo where the cpu is and putting another there. I'll just splice it to the one on the external intake fan. My PC is literally air conditioned now.

wait what. thats awesome. how large are the plates? and could you do this with a gpu? how does the cooling system dissipate heat?

Main Rig | Personal Build | Windows 10 | R7 2700x 3.7~4.3ghz | ASUS ROG Strix B450-I | 16gb DDR4 3200mhz | GTX 1080 FE | Coolermaster Elite 130 | Corsair H60 | WD Blue SN500 500GB NVMe SSD + 1tb WD Green HDD + 1tb WD Blue HDD

Laptop | HP m6-w102dx | Windows 10 | i7-5500u 2.4~3.0ghz | 8gb DDR3L | GT 930m 2gb| 120gb Sandisk SSD

Phone | Pixel 3 | Verizon | 64gb

39 minutes ago, SlipperyPete said:

wait what. thats awesome. how large are the plates? and could you do this with a gpu? how does the cooling system dissipate heat?

That was how I stumbled on them. I was looking for alternatives to water cooling, as in the summer, if it's 90 in the room, well the water/liquid eventually gets that warm too. Anyway, they are perfect for gpu's or cpu's. I saw some very bad attempts at using them in heatsinks, but the science was all wrong, since electro-thermal cooling releases heat from one side and the other side is freezing. That's a big reason normal AC's need an exterior vent.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/12V-60W-TEC1-12706-Heatsink-Thermoelectric-Cooler-Peltier-Cooling-Plate-Module/565254255?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=7728&adid=22222222227071838347&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=182798752292&wl4=pla-340106729927&wl5=9002203&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=115059135&wl11=online&wl12=565254255&wl13=&veh=sem

All the heatsinks had them in the middle, like an upside down sandwich (which would work with two fans on each side I guess, but not well), it was weird. So on a cpu, cold side down, hot side up, another heatsink, then fan. I'm sure it would work on a gpu, it would just be a matter of fitting a plate/heatsink, and a fan. You would want the fan facing down with nothing below it though do to chance of condensation, unless you could finagle a trough type of thing to ensure there was not enough accumulated moisture to drip. Like I said, it gets cold.

15 hours ago, dizmo said:

Not really, is just a fan and I need to build one switch like fan controller for computer and adapt in the seat, which is pretty easy but I want to know how to power the heater element in the seat, anyone know how to calculate the switch ?

15 hours ago, 8-Bit Ninja said:

as.jpg

Yes, it is.

Pretty easy to turn it on.

=]

15 hours ago, crzyces said:

I will use only the fan for refrigerate the seat in the summer, there is no need to use the AC in the seat since we have central HVAC at home

=]

14 hours ago, Not_Sean said:

For a racing sim setup I'm all for this, for a Normal chair it's insane! those chair weigh so much, and wiring all that up just seems like a wiring and getting tangled nightmare. 

But yeah enjoy man :) least its unique. 

Not really , the total weight is about 35 pounds and we just need to wire phase and neutral to work.

I will try to fix the youtube videos link over here

I just need a little help to figure out how to control the heater in the seat, I need to build one switch like this:

https://www.google.com.br/search?q=heat+seat+switch&safe=active&hl=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj9pMfyvOXTAhUDj5AKHXlxB6AQ_AUICigB&biw=1366&bih=648

24 minutes ago, hotsauce2007 said:

Not really, is just a fan and I need to build one switch like fan controller for computer and adapt in the seat, which is pretty easy but I want to know how to power the heater element in the seat, anyone know how to calculate the switch ?

Yes, it is.

Pretty easy to turn it on.

=]

I will use only the fan for refrigerate the seat in the summer, there is no need to use the AC in the seat since we have central HVAC at home

=]

Not really , the total weight is about 35 pounds and we just need to wire phase and neutral to work.

I will try to fix the youtube videos link over here

I just need a little help to figure out how to control the heater in the seat, I need to build one switch like this:

https://www.google.com.br/search?q=heat+seat+switch&safe=active&hl=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj9pMfyvOXTAhUDj5AKHXlxB6AQ_AUICigB&biw=1366&bih=648

35lbs isn't to bad. I use a lazy boy recliner at my PC desk. Weighs about the same. It's not like your going to be gaming with it strapped to your back ;^) . You might want to think about throwing some rollers on the bottom though.

That's awesome. I've always thought about using a proper Recaro racing seat as a chair. Probably a lot easier than this.

And if you ever get a A8 at least you've a seat ready to go in it :) 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

29 minutes ago, crzyces said:

35lbs isn't to bad. I use a lazy boy recliner at my PC desk. Weighs about the same. It's not like your going to be gaming with it strapped to your back ;^) . You might want to think about throwing some rollers on the bottom though.

yah, is pretty light.

right now I need a little help with the switch for the heater and fan part, here is some buttons:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/98-01-AUDI-A8-FRONT-HEATED-SEAT-SWITCH-OEM-4D0-963-563-D/192020870603?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D40130%26meid%3D71faeca92668423e838957c911723301%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D201919589919

I just need to figure out how to calculate the amp to control the heat and the fan, for the van probably I think I just need to wire the phase and neutral in one switch with dimmer and it´s done. for the heat element i have no Idea how to calculate the switch or if I have to calculate it, maybe is just plug one button and wire one 12v line with xAmp value and it´s done, anyone knows or have any idea? I´m not a expert in electronic wiring.  =[

On 2017-5-10 at 11:18 AM, DildorTheDecent said:

That's awesome. I've always thought about using a proper Recaro racing seat as a chair. Probably a lot easier than this.

And if you ever get a A8 at least you've a seat ready to go in it :) 

If you just need one chair with car seat, that is what you want :x

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/4f/b2/99/4fb2992d0d0875d8c5dd04052844828a.jpg

Here i thought you were gonna put a goddamn system in that chair. Lol. I should have started reading all before take a look at pictures

6 hours ago, Yahtadi said:

Here i thought you were gonna put a goddamn system in that chair. Lol. I should have started reading all before take a look at pictures

not really, the seat comes with all integrated.

The first part is done folks. Lets start with the wiring phase.

• 2 months later...
14 minutes ago, hotsauce2007 said:

With restarms:

looks really good

Main Rig | Personal Build | Windows 10 | R7 2700x 3.7~4.3ghz | ASUS ROG Strix B450-I | 16gb DDR4 3200mhz | GTX 1080 FE | Coolermaster Elite 130 | Corsair H60 | WD Blue SN500 500GB NVMe SSD + 1tb WD Green HDD + 1tb WD Blue HDD

Laptop | HP m6-w102dx | Windows 10 | i7-5500u 2.4~3.0ghz | 8gb DDR3L | GT 930m 2gb| 120gb Sandisk SSD

• 2 months later...
6 hours ago, hotsauce2007 said:

We found how to turn on the ventilation and probably the heating, I will post some news soon...

im eagerly anticipating more news :P

On 5/9/2017 at 5:41 PM, 8-Bit Ninja said:

as.jpg

It all depends on whether or not the seat used the HVAC system to actually cool the seat. Using a fan is one thing but to actually lower the temperature it needs to be either connected to the HVAC system in the car or have its own.

• 1 year later...

Hello,

I have an audi 2012 A8 seat arriving this coming tuesday, I just want to confirm with you that all you needed to get the controls on the seat itself on left hand side to work was to connect the phase and neutral from the red plug into a 12v 30amp power source correct?

• 5 months later...
On 1/17/2019 at 1:42 AM, FSUPRIME said:

Hello,

I have an audi 2012 A8 seat arriving this coming tuesday, I just want to confirm with you that all you needed to get the controls on the seat itself on left hand side to work was to connect the phase and neutral from the red plug into a 12v 30amp power source correct?

Hi

Yah, all you need is a 12v power supply and wire the correct wires to get all the seat powered up

=]

got it?

the problem with a car seat is the ergonomics is for driving, so feet on pedals, and hands on a steering wheel, that is also why all "racing seat" for office use, is a ergonomic nightmare. 

i would as earlier support this fully for a "car sim" i have one, and i must admit, it would be nice with a bit more comfy seat, than the OMP that i am running, it don´t need all the seat supports since i don´t pull real life G´s... so running 4 hours IRacing sessions, can become quite hot.

But nice work.