I picked up a working PC out of the Recycle Bin...

PSUGuru

I went to a computer repair store earlier yesterday just because. It's an okay place, there's a lot of used hardware, including some PSUs I've never heard of before.

Anyway, I picked up an HP Inspiron for free out of the recycling bin. I booted it, but it had a hard disk failure. The guy said he would take the two of the sticks of RAM, leaving me with one stick.

Here are the specs:

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 630

Cooler: Stock Cooler

Motherboard: Not sure. It has four DIMM slots, AM3, and it's MicroATX.

Memory: 2gb 1333MHz DDR3

Storage: 250gb 5400 RPM 2.5" HDD (It had a 750 gb 3.5" HDD from seagate, but it's dead)

PSU: HP 300 watt

Case Fan: 80mm fan, exhaust.

Since I've paid nothing for it, I want to have some fun with this thing. I will probably use this for web browsing and light gaming, but I have a laptop and another PC, so it's not like I care too much about performance.

Have any ideas of anything fun I can do with this thing?

For the image below, ignore the Corsair PSU. I was testing a few old GPUs I had that required a 6 pin power connector.IMG_0196.thumb.JPG.c1645dda1faa900409955581ee904707.JPG

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AX1600i owner. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_GMev0EwK37J3zZL98zIqF-OSBuHlFEHmrc_SPuYsjs/edit?usp=sharing My WIP Power Supply Guide.

Just now, frozeNNN said:

Well you were lucky as hell, nice catch :D 

The HDD is SLOW AS HELL. I think I'll slap in an SSD just for the lols.

But it's actually pretty decent, however the X4 630 has no iGPU, and I have no working GPU. So, there's no gaming potential here. Not yet.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AX1600i owner. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_GMev0EwK37J3zZL98zIqF-OSBuHlFEHmrc_SPuYsjs/edit?usp=sharing My WIP Power Supply Guide.

Lol, throw in  a rx 550/gtx 1030 and give it to a cousin or something 

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

10 minutes ago, QuantumElement said:

Storage: 250gb 5400 RPM 2.5" HDD

4 minutes ago, QuantumElement said:

The HDD is SLOW AS HELL.

i'd say that was to be expected.

nice catch either way

fun for me would be to overclock it till it dies or just play around with mining alt coins (but you won't ever make a profit with that lol)

Intel 7600K Over Clocked to 4.8 jibahurtz, GTX 1080 Founders Edition space heater, Cooler Master 212 Evo jet engine, 8GB DDR4 Ballistic Ram, 250GB hyperX ssd, Fractel Design Define S, Blue snowball on an arm mount, mismatched god monitors, dual keyboards, LG mouse (no vital signs, Think it died.)

Just now, Damascus said:

Lol, throw in  a rx 550/gtx 1030 and give it to a cousin or something 

I need it for an engineering project for now. I have a NVIDIA GTS 8800 but it doesn't work.

i'll have to see what I can pull out of the recycle bins for GPUs.

I'd get it into working order and drop it off at an orphanage or something. A good deed always makes one feel better ;)

CPU R7 1700    Motherboard Asus Prime X370 Pro  RAM  24GB Corsair LPX 3000 (at 2933Mhz)    GPU EVGA GTX1070 SC  Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M    

Storage 1 x 1TB m.2, 1x 500GB SSD, 1x 1TB HDD, 1x 8TB HDD  PSU Corsair RM1000  Cooling Thermalright Macho Rev B (tower)

Synology NAS 1 x 4TB 1 x 8TB

Just now, unholyprfection said:

fun for me would be to overclock it till it dies or just play around with mining alt coins (but you won't ever make a profit with that lol)

Athlon X4 630 can overclock?

no idea never had one or looked it up. but were theirs a will theirs a way xD

Intel 7600K Over Clocked to 4.8 jibahurtz, GTX 1080 Founders Edition space heater, Cooler Master 212 Evo jet engine, 8GB DDR4 Ballistic Ram, 250GB hyperX ssd, Fractel Design Define S, Blue snowball on an arm mount, mismatched god monitors, dual keyboards, LG mouse (no vital signs, Think it died.)

Just now, FIXXX said:

I'd get it into working order and drop it off at an orphanage or something. A good deed always makes one feel better ;)

My best friend has a potato. AMD E-450 processor. I'll probably end up giving it to him by the time I finish having fun with it.

His birthday is this monthe, so I think it'll be a pleasant surprise.

4 minutes ago, QuantumElement said:

My best friend has a potato. AMD E-450 processor. I'll probably end up giving it to him by the time I finish having fun with it.

His birthday is this monthe, so I think it'll be a pleasant surprise.

Do it, that CPU upgrade is huge.

CPU R7 1700    Motherboard Asus Prime X370 Pro  RAM  24GB Corsair LPX 3000 (at 2933Mhz)    GPU EVGA GTX1070 SC  Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M    

Storage 1 x 1TB m.2, 1x 500GB SSD, 1x 1TB HDD, 1x 8TB HDD  PSU Corsair RM1000  Cooling Thermalright Macho Rev B (tower)

Synology NAS 1 x 4TB 1 x 8TB

6 minutes ago, FIXXX said:

Do it, that CPU upgrade is huge.

Yeah. I am going to put 100-150$ into it, maybe do some case modding, and bam. Surprise him on his birthday. It'll literally be the best computer he will have ever owned.

I would actually destroy that drive ... for the previous owner's sake , and even for yours ( who knows what's on there ) .

Plus it just isn't a good idea to use a used drive you know nothing about . It could fail without notice.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

HP Inspiron? You mean Dell? 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

49 minutes ago, QuantumElement said:

I went to a computer repair store earlier yesterday just because. It's an okay place, there's a lot of used hardware, including some PSUs I've never heard of before.

Anyway, I picked up an HP Inspiron for free out of the recycling bin. I booted it, but it had a hard disk failure. The guy said he would take the two of the sticks of RAM, leaving me with one stick.

Here are the specs:

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 630

Cooler: Stock Cooler

Motherboard: Not sure. It has four DIMM slots, AM3, and it's MicroATX.

Memory: 2gb 1333MHz DDR3

Storage: 250gb 5400 RPM 2.5" HDD (It had a 750 gb 3.5" HDD from seagate, but it's dead)

PSU: HP 300 watt

Case Fan: 80mm fan, exhaust.

Since I've paid nothing for it, I want to have some fun with this thing. I will probably use this for web browsing and light gaming, but I have a laptop and another PC, so it's not like I care too much about performance.

Have any ideas of anything fun I can do with this thing?

For the image below, ignore the Corsair PSU. I was testing a few old GPUs I had that required a 6 pin power connector.IMG_0196.thumb.JPG.c1645dda1faa900409955581ee904707.JPG

That's a Dell, I can tell just from the RAM slots and the CPU cooler, and if the Foxconn stickers on the motherboard didn't already give it away.

How many SATA slots does it have? Turn it into backup NAS, smartest thing I did with a junker PC.

25 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

I would actually destroy that drive ... for the previous owner's sake , and even for yours ( who knows what's on there ) .

Plus it just isn't a good idea to use a used drive you know nothing about . It could fail without notice.

The 250gb drive is mine.

It had a 750gb drive, but it's dead.

13 minutes ago, H0R53 said:

That's a Dell, I can tell just from the RAM slots and the CPU cooler, and if the Foxconn stickers on the motherboard didn't already give it away.

How many SATA slots does it have? Turn it into backup NAS, smartest thing I did with a junker PC.

I think it has four SATA 3gb/s.

id cook some bacon on it, I personally cook bacon or overclock till death anything under core duo

Elemental 

Spoiler

Intel i5 6500 @3.8ghz - 8GB HyperX - 600w Apex PSU - GTX 1060 G1 GIGABYTE 6GB - s340 Black - 240gb Toshiba Q300 - Cooler master TX3i - MSI z170-A PRO.

Old Build (sold for 290€)

Spoiler

Intel i3 540 @ 3.9ghz (On stock cooler, Hits 80c max) - 8gb ram - 500w power supply - P7H55-M LE  120gb SSD - Talius Drakko case

Project Frug 50$ Water loop

Laptops

Spoiler

13" Macbook Air - Alienware m14x r2 -  2009 15" Macbook Pro (I was give all of these and would never buy them myself)

Just now, Julian5 said:

id cook some bacon on it, I personally cook bacon or overclock till death anything under core duo

That doesn't look like a Core Duo though. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

2 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

That doesn't look like a Core Duo though. 

My bad I thought It was older. Try overclocking anyways, its fun

Elemental 

Spoiler

Intel i5 6500 @3.8ghz - 8GB HyperX - 600w Apex PSU - GTX 1060 G1 GIGABYTE 6GB - s340 Black - 240gb Toshiba Q300 - Cooler master TX3i - MSI z170-A PRO.

Old Build (sold for 290€)

Spoiler

Intel i3 540 @ 3.9ghz (On stock cooler, Hits 80c max) - 8gb ram - 500w power supply - P7H55-M LE  120gb SSD - Talius Drakko case

Project Frug 50$ Water loop

Laptops

Spoiler

13" Macbook Air - Alienware m14x r2 -  2009 15" Macbook Pro (I was give all of these and would never buy them myself)

1 minute ago, Julian5 said:

My bad I thought It was older. Try overclocking anyways, its fun

Locked processor, unfortunately. 

2 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I'd slap on an old Radeon HD 5450 or something, and use it as an XP box. Or maybe just stick something from that era in there anyway.

That's assuming you have any games that work better on XP.

I'll probably give it a 4gb stick, and find some old GPU that works better than the integrated graphics of an E-450. (shouldn't be hard at all)

dude that's a corsair psu. It looks like my MB, but it's for athlon. i use a core 2 duo (in my signature)