LinusTechTips Floatplane Club++ | Greasemonkey Script

LinusTechTips Floatplane Club++

A greasemonkey script that make the Floatplane Club feel like a real media platform, rather than a janky add-on (no offense).

Current Version 0.4.2 (6/7/2017)

View on GitHub

download

I am fully aware that the Floatplane Club is in development and will not always exist on the forum. Thus, this script will eventually break and/or become obsolete.

But for the time being, this script makes the Floatplane a more comfortable experience. This is also an opportunity for the community to pitch ideas to LMG staff while the FPClub is being developed. Let’s be real, you and I aren’t getting that coding job we all “applied” for. But that doesn’t mean you can’t use your skills to help the LMG devs. For example, I loved the way Vessel’s video player would shrink down and stick to the top of the page as you scrolled through the comments. I could just post this suggestion on the forum, and maybe a LMG employee would take it seriously. Or I could write a script that shows why it’s an innovative idea by letting you try it out (literally the reason why I am posting this thread).

The program runs on a script I wrote a long time ago called jMod (github, demo, documentation). It’s what handles user options and window/dom events.

It also uses Velocity.js (github) to smooth out scrolling animations.

Current Working Features:

• Full width videos at start
  • Stick video player to the top of the page
  • Player shrinks as you scroll through the comments
  • Add thumbnails to FP Club video list
  • Scrub through timeline with thumbnails
  • Preview video by hovering mouse over thumbnail
  • Video length is displayed on thumbnails
  • Styled console logging

Current Issues:

• None (that I am aware of)

Gallery:

Full width video59117b4700760_LTT_FP_ScrollDown.thumb.png.e44d53d64533275fbf479efdb8973b09.png59117b4c66691_LTT_FP_Settings.thumb.png.ad0682253cfe8e2fd833c13b3689908a.png59280c1cbae3b_LTT_FP_Thumbs.thumb.png.04b040ad8badadad367cbba3ec2547ad.png59280c1aacb2d_LTT_FP_Logging.thumb.png.700c0f968987a5bbcb07069f3d3d0a3b.png

Original Post:

Spoiler

Current issues:

The code in my first release is absolute garbage. It is devoid of comments and documentation. I went in with no plan whatsoever, so it’s riddled with unused variables and functions. I originally didn’t plan on adding more features, so most functions exist on the same namespace with no abstract structuring. I didn’t break up long functions, so reading my code is like reading a bad run-on sentence.

But this is a first release to see if people are interested in the project. If so, I will clean up the code and make it more modular.

(Please don't judge me for the sloppy code...it's bad, I know)

The only real issue the script has right now is the method I used to handle page scrolling. The video player and comment section don’t move at the same rate, making the transition look a little funny. It’s not a script breaking bug, but it looks funny. The damn shrinking LTT header makes it difficult to keep this smooth. I’ll have this issue fixed in the next release.

Goals:

I want to make the FPClub forum look and feel more like a video platform (things like video thumbs, etc…)

I also want to add more community oriented features. A while back, I wrote a Steam profile widget for Wikia that made it easier for users on gaming wikis to see each other’s stats and online status (demo of it running on my profile). And since the LTT forum has a “Steam Account” setting for user profiles, it would be cool to take full advantage of that. Ex: As you scroll through the comments, you can see other user’s online status and what game they are playing. Click on the game they are playing and it expands to show you their achievements and game stats. Click the steam username and it takes you to their profile in steam. I already host my own steam API to query and cache user data, so adding this feature would take virtually no effort.

Honestly, I have a million things I want to do. But if you have ideas, let me know, or write them yourself.

Edited by jgjake2
Updated script to 0.4.2

I know there is an official forum mods topic. Tag the mods and such and they will probably put it on there. Or just post it in the topic.

@colonel_mortis This seems like a good add-on. Too bad I don't have floatplane yet :b

14 minutes ago, Abyss Gaming said:

I know there is an official forum mods topic. Tag the mods and such and they will probably put it on there. Or just post it in the topic.

8 minutes ago, Abyss Gaming said:

@colonel_mortis This seems like a good add-on. Too bad I don't have floatplane yet :b

Thanks for the info, i'll get right on it

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, mrzoltowski said:

How do I install, use this?

Using Firefox: Install Greasemonkey

Using Chrome: Install Tampermonkey

Then go to this URL: https://github.com/jgjake2/LTT_FP/raw/master/LTT_FP%2B%2B.user.js

You should be asked to install the script.

I've made a few improvements since the initial release, but I suggest turning off animations in the settings for now (the LTT header will have a new gear icon. That opens the settings)

Just installed. That's very cool. I like the fact you can scroll down and the video stays. Well done!

4 minutes ago, mrzoltowski said:

Just installed. That's very cool. I like the fact you can scroll down and the video stays. Well done!

Appreciate it :) i'm working on updates right now. I'm trying to fix it so you can navigate comment pages without any issues. The forum uses history editing to prevent full page loads when navigating comment pages. This lets the video stay at the top of the page, as long as you start at page one. It's annoying to detect, but Vessel did the same thing and I wrote a script for that so it shouldn't take too long.

Just make sure you set Greasemonkey or Tampermonkey to check for script updates every day, or every few days. Or just follow the Github project.

7 minutes ago, jgjake2 said:

Appreciate it :) i'm working on updates right now. I'm trying to fix it so you can navigate comment pages without any issues. The forum uses history editing to prevent full page loads when navigating comment pages. This lets the video stay at the top of the page, as long as you start at page one. It's annoying to detect, but Vessel did the same thing and I wrote a script for that so it shouldn't take too long.

Just make sure you set Greasemonkey or Tampermonkey to check for script updates every day, or every few days. Or just follow the Github project.

Will do! As we say in England "That's crakin' mate"!.

Script Updated

Version 0.3.4

• Animated video thumbnails
  • Fixed issue with video player grow/shrink not working with an unpinned LTT header
  • Added a styled console logger
  • General bug fixes and speed improvements

If your browser doesn't auto update to the new version, click here to install manually

11 hours ago, jgjake2 said:

Script Updated

Version 0.3.4

• Animated video thumbnails
  • Fixed issue with video player grow/shrink not working with an unpinned LTT header
  • Added a styled console logger
  • General bug fixes and speed improvements

If your browser doesn't auto update to the new version, click here to install manually

Thanks! Been suing it for a week almost now .. love it. The video thumbnails are great too!

Script Updated

Version 0.4.0

• Dramatic performance improvements (damn near loads instantly)
  • Redesigned the video player's grow/shrink behavior, and now it's buttery smooth!
  • General bug fixes

Let me know if there are any issues or if you have any feature requests. I've got the most important features working, so I need ideas.

Just now, jgjake2 said:

Script Updated

Version 0.4.0

• Dramatic performance improvements (damn near loads instantly)
  • Redesigned the video player's grow/shrink behavior, and now it's buttery smooth!
  • General bug fixes

Let me know if there are any issues or if you have any feature requests. I've got the most important features working, so I need ideas.

mmmm buttery

Script Updated

Version 0.4.1

• Added module for pulling video meta data, and grab video duration from "m3u8" playlist files
  • Added duration to video thumbnails

On 20/05/2017 at 11:07 AM, jgjake2 said:

Using Firefox: Install Greasemonkey

Greasemonkey still exists? I just use Tampermokey on Firefox it is a lot superior, I don't even knew that Greasemonkey was still around.

Spoiler

FKcisKG.png

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 minute ago, Princess Cadence said:

Greasemonkey still exists? I just use Tampermokey on Firefox it is a lot superior, I don't even knew that Greasemonkey was still around.

Honestly, I didn't know Tampermonkey put out a stable build for FF. Last time I tried (within the last year) it was unusable. Maybe i'll check it out.

• 2 weeks later...

Script Updated

Version 0.4.2

• Can now scrub through timeline with thumbnails (hover mouse at bottom of thumb to move around in time)

• 3 weeks later...

Notice (fixed):

My servers went down earlier today and i'm on vacation. I don't know the cause, restarting didn't work, and I don't have access to my private keys to fix it. I will be home in a week.

If you already have the script installed, jMod should be cached. If not the script will NOT execute correctly.

I will make a post when the problem is fixed.

Edited by jgjake2
Issue fixed

Notice update:

The server issues appear to have resolved themselves. I think it was an AWS load balancing issue.

Installs should be working again. Let me know if you have any issues installing.

• 2 months later...

Is this project still going?

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN RESPONDING

Please Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It. Take Time & Explain

New TOS RUINED the meme that used to be below :( 

9 hours ago, Jrock said:

Is this project still going?

Yea, I just haven't had too many goals to achieve (a.k.a. I ran out of ideas). I've written some optimizations/minor improvements that I have yet to push to github. But the core of the project is pretty rock solid and nothing needs fixing. Thumbnails bug out a little on occasion but that's it (that I know of).

If you have any ideas or feature requests, let me know. I would love to get back into it.

• 2 weeks later...

Script Updated

Version 0.4.3

• Updated to handle new header

• 4 weeks later...

Can this be used in Edge?

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),