[UPDATE #1] AMD readies AGESA microcode update to improve Ryzen DDR4 memory compatibility (finally!)

So people considering buying Ryzen CPUs, rejoice!

amd-ryzen.jpg?itok=YgJ-XJ7j

AMD will be pushing out a new microcode update for its Ryzen CPU architecture, something that will provide support for 20+ new RAM kits in the wild.

Until now, the recommendation for DDR4 RAM with Ryzen processors were on Samsung's 'B die' memory chips, something that G.Skill and GeIL make. AMD's Technical Marketing Lead, Robert Hallock, confirmed that B die chips from Samsung were the best for out-of-the-box compatibility with Ryzen processors, and allowed for the highest overclocking results as well.

It looks like the info was leaked by Gigabyte's rep:

A representative for Gigabyte has been relaying information back and forth between forum members at Overclockers UK and Gigabyte. In one of his most recent posts, he indicated that Gigabyte's team is hard at work on a beta

BIOS update that will address several issues. They include the following:

• For those looking for IOMMU fixes we are hopefully going to have an option to force boot off a specific PCIe slot. It's not the grouping fix, but a work around for now.
  • Disable LAN (per request)
  • Disable Audio (per request)
  • "ROM Image update" (Being worked on with AMI, no ETA)
  • Cold boot / Won't boot. Have to re-flash BIOS. (people have referred to this as "soft brick")
  • AGESA 1006 - improve memory (Got high hopes for this one. Going to enable 20+ memory register

For comparison, here are fixes & improvements from their previous Ryzen AGESA code update:

AMD outlined those fixes and improvements in a blog post in which it noted the following changes::

We have reduced DRAM latency by approximately 6ns. This can result in higher performance for latency-sensitive applications.
    We resolved a condition where an unusual FMA3 code sequence could cause a system hang.
    We resolved the “overclock sleep bug” where an incorrect CPU frequency could be reported after resuming from S3 sleep.
    AMD Ryzen Master no longer requires the High-Precision Event Timer (HPET).

So pretty much TL;DR:

AMD is giving final touches to the latest update of AGESA micro-code of its Ryzen processors, which will improve DDR4 memory support, enabling higher memory clocks and tighter timings. The new AGESA 1.0.0.6 micro-code will be deployed through motherboard vendors as motherboard BIOS updates. It will add over 20 new registers for the "Summit Ridge" integrated memory controllers, to improve compatibility with "Intel-friendly" DDR4 memory brands.

In my opinion it's great that the update came, but it should have been here since Ryzen R7-lineup launched. It's good though that most of the RAM kits out there should be working properly after the microcode update, even the "Intel-friendly" ones.

Sources:

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/57410/amd-ryzen-microcode-update-improved-ddr4-support/index.html

https://www.techpowerup.com/233106/amd-readies-ryzen-agesa-update-to-improve-ddr4-memory-support

http://hothardware.com/news/incoming-amd-ryzen-update-expands-ddr4-memory-support

I will update the post when AMD releases their official community update with the news and release notes, here's a link to the previous one that was released almost exactly one month ago:

https://community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2017/04/06/amd-ryzen-community-update-3

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

###[UPDATE 19.05.2017]###

https://www.forbes.com/sites/antonyleather/2017/05/18/an-interview-with-amd-the-latest-on-ryzen-memory-support-game-performance-and-ryzen-3s-launch/#695a3e555ff4

The update is coming "in late May" according to Robert Hallock - AMD's head of global technical marketing:

There is one thing coming down the pipeline – enthusiasts may be aware of the AGESA BIOS updates we’ve mentioned in the Ryzen community updates. There’s another one coming in late May that will focus on the robustness and compatibility of overclocked memory. Being overclocked, it’s easy to forget that you’re not guaranteed anything, but there are some knobs and buttons we can tweak to improve things here. There will be more information on this at the end of the May.

More interesting info from James Prior (product manager for Ryzen):

I think it’s important to point out that Ryzen is not limited to memory kits with Samsung’s B-die. We’ve got Hynix-based memory kits running at 3,200MHz today in the channel – there are plenty of people doing that. It is true that the B-die offers the best compatibility with our memory controller, especially at higher speeds, but that’s not the only die that works.

This is more down to memory vendors and how they set their timings and different aspects of what they call SPD – this impacts on compatibility. This is all part of reverse-engineering a non-standard protocol. JEDEC is very easy to work with and that all works beautifully with Ryzen. When we look at the auto overclocking profiles, that’s where things get a little bit harder as it’s all tuned for a proprietary standard we don’t have full visibility into.

Depending on the manufacturers of the memory and how they decide to program the memory cells themselves, it can change the compatibility with Ryzen. There are some things we can do here but there are things memory vendors can do as well and this is what we’re doing right now. We’re increasing plug and play compatibility but also going to memory vendors and asking what drove a decision here with this module at these timings and seeing if there are ways we can increase compatibility without impacting on any other products in the market.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

6 more months and Ryzen will finally be consumer ready and i'll be able to order one ;)

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

you messed up and put almost the entire thing is a quote and also we knew this was right around the corner anyway

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

2 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

6 more months and vega will finally be consumer ready and i'll be able to order one ;)

I'd say that they took so long to release it that it should be AT LEAST ready at launch... But looking how long they took to develop Ryzen... :P Well, nothing we can do, it's either Intel literally taking advantage of us or we can buy unfinished products from AMD...

2 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

you messed up and put almost the entire thing is a quote and also we knew this was right around the corner anyway

Yeah, sorry. I fixed it, the quotes are annoying AF. This post is directed mainly to people who considered buying Ryzen and waited for the RAM compatibility update, as well for those who eagerly wait to push their kits to their advertised speeds (that they paid for) instead of running them without XMP.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

So by 2019 this product won't be in beta stages anymore.

Sweet.

11 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

6 more months and vega will finally be consumer ready and i'll be able to order one ;)

Yeah, like the slowest VEGA is GTX 1070 equivalent

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

Jesus do you not remember the issues of x58 and x99? It's brand new architecture and is normally the same. Remember it isn't a tick tick of existing tech like the i5/i7 have been since sandybridge 

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

14 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

Jesus do you not remember the issues of x58 and x99? It's brand new architecture and is normally the same. Remember it isn't a tick tick of existing tech like the i5/i7 have been since sandybridge 

Well, yeah. It goes both sides though, when did R7 lineup launch? 3/2/2017? I mean, for AMD to say that "Samsung's 'B die' memory chips, something that G.Skill and GeIL make" are the only confirmed and recommended memory kits for that long is a bit too much IMO. They should have fixed that earlier...

Let's hope the update comes soon and more people can enjoy performance benefits of Ryzen when paired with high-speed RAM ^_^

I knew waiting would pay off. Now I would love to see some tests.

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

11 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Well, yeah. It goes both sides though, when did R7 lineup launch? 3/2/2017? I mean, for AMD to say that "Samsung's 'B die' memory chips, something that G.Skill and GeIL make" are the only confirmed and recommended memory kits for that long is a bit too much IMO. They should have fixed that earlier...

Let's hope the update comes soon and more people can enjoy performance benefits of Ryzen when paired with high-speed RAM ^_^

Again it is nothing new, but only because a new platform has launched. Remember all ram works just not at the rated speeds I have non Samsung b die running 293hz right now. 

I remember when sticks didn't work full stop if not on the qvl for both Intel and amd 

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

Although no confirmation on it, I did hear rumors that the IMC wasn't designed in-house so that's why they've been scrambling to optimize for it. Of course, no way to find out unless a reliable source confirms it.

I'm not sure how much this update will do. It might be a disappointment especially if people expect to run like 4000 MHz RAM.

Just now, Trixanity said:

I'm not sure how much this update will do. It might be a disappointment especially if people expect to run like 4000 MHz RAM.

Beyond 3200MHz the performance benefits are not worth the price difference. As long as most kits up to 3200MHz work, that'd be sufficient in my opinion.

Just now, Morgan MLGman said:

Beyond 3200MHz the performance benefits are not worth the price difference. As long as most kits up to 3200MHz work, that'd be sufficient in my opinion.

That's true but was also thinking of overclocking. Have been hearing a lot of people wanting to overclock but can't.

Makes me happy when I get around building my rig with Ryzen early July.

Now lets hope DDR4 pricing doesn't skyrocket even further than it already has.

Ye ole' train

That was announced few days ago and also others posted it here.

But yeah, it's a good thing, they keep optimising it and trying to deliver better performance and optimisation.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

Yay progress. Can't wait to see Ryzen at its full potential.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

3 hours ago, Darth Revan said:

So by 2019 this product won't be in beta stages anymore.

Sweet.

4 hours ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

6 more months and Ryzen will finally be consumer ready and i'll be able to order one ;)

People just love to forget x99. :D

It's a new architecture built from the group up, not just the same thing with a 5-10% improvement like Intel, or in Kabylake's case, 0% improvement.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

21 minutes ago, 2Buck said:

People just love to forget x99. :D

It's a new architecture built from the group up, not just the same thing with a 5-10% improvement like Intel, or in Kabylake's case, 0% improvement.

someone is salty o.O

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

1 minute ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

someone is salty o.O

How exactly? Just pointing out facts... :I

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

2 hours ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

Makes me happy when I get around building my rig with Ryzen early July.

Now lets hope DDR4 pricing doesn't skyrocket even further than it already has.

You can buy the RAM now. DDR4 is going to be around for a long time anyway.

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 11 650W

Logitech K830

Xbox One Wireless Controller

Logitech Z623 Speakers/Subwoofer

Windows 10 Pro

Just now, 2Buck said:

How exactly? Just pointing out facts... :I

so were we...

Ahh about time they got this update ready...

2 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

so were we...

Yeah and at the same time neglecting or conveniently forgetting that intel had the same problem on a platform that costed you your first born just for the cpu's alone let alone the motherboards

Then again this is LTT forums... What are objective arguments ?

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

Just now, XenosTech said:

Yeah and at the same time neglecting or conveniently forgetting that intel had the same problem on a platform that costed you your first born just for the cpu's alone let alone the motherboards

Then again this is LTT forums... What are objective arguments ?

...and...another one

50e.jpg