What region GCN console should I buy?

So I really want to buy a gamecube, my friend had one when I was younger and I only played it a few times but I loved it, I've thought about getting my own so much over the years but I'm really serious about getting one now! I've been trying to blitz through research into the best way to play the games now but I'm still a little stuck.

~I know I want a gamecube as opposed to a bc wii, mostly for the ability to play gameboy games on it but also just because I love the look and it gives me such great memories.

~Much as I'd love a component cable I definitely can't afford to shell out over £100 for them! S-Video seems like a good middle ground, though I read that as I don't have a CRT tv the image won't be quite as sharp as it could be, but it still seems like a good compromise.

~I don't have any experience with modding further than putting files other people have created into my own sims games on my pc but I don't think that counts! I would still be open to modding a gamecube (homebrewing?) but I don't think I would be confident in making any physical modifications myself. However if I could buy an already modded one (to unlock the regions for example) then I'd be really happy with that too.

~Speaking of regions, I'm not sure what region gamecube would be the best for me to buy! I live in the UK so I'm naturally drawn to a PAL console, but I read that there were games released for america/NTSC regions that weren't released at all over here, so I don't want to miss out on any games! I know the freeloader disk is an option to get around that but I read it only worked for japan region games, is that true? I can't read japanese so I couldn't play any of those games anyway unless they had an english setting. My friend had Animal Crossing, Harvest Moon, Sims, Super Mario Sunshine on her gamecube, I loved those games so much then and I still do now! I also want all the Zelda games, and I love RPGs, recently I've been looking into JRPGs as well, and my brother will no doubt buy more realistic fighting games for it too. I don't want to buy a PAL gamecube and then find I can't play something I want to on it! People say NTSC games sell cheaper than PAL games as well, though I don't know if that's true. I also read that PAL consoles don't allow for progressive scan mode, which improves that graphics quality of the game, so that's also something for me to consider.

So I wondered what you would recommend! Should I buy two consoles, one PAL and one modded for both NSTC and NSTC-J games, or is that completely unnecessary? If only one console, should I buy PAL or NTSC? Or if I've vastly misunderstood something in my research then please correct me! I just really want to enjoy the old games I used to and discover even more along the way! Thankyou!

Most everything worth playing is available for both NTSC-U and PAL so if you can find NTSC-U titles at a reasonable price I would get a NTSC-U console and do the simple switch mod to play NTSC-J games.

Also check your local secondhand stores and private sales, last fall I found a GC with the holy grail component cable for $25 at a garage sale.

The big issue you're going to run into is with PAL\NTSC TV signals.

Even with modern HDTV's, SD is still split between PAL and NTSC. I'd recommend going with the PAL GC and then look into getting the XENO GC mod chip installed (this will allow PAL\NTSC games to be played without the need of a boot disc). 

Also, going with a PAL console will allow you to use SCART cables, which will give you a better picture, and isn't supported on the NTSC GC at all. Also, it'll give you a better picture then S-Video.

Here's a video that goes into the different video inputs you can use with the Gamecube, and how to get the best picture out of it on modern TV's

• 2 weeks later...

To add to what Linkboy said.

The PAL consoles provide the ability to output RGB via a scart cable.  

If you haven't already i suggest you check this site out as it will have a lot of information for you to consider when making your decision.  http://retrorgb.com/gamecube.html

Also There now exists mods to add HDMI for the gamecube so down the line should you want to do that you can.