.edu account

apaar123

Guys is it true that anyone with an .edu account gets unlimited storage on Google drive? I will be soon going to college and maybe this can help me and I have also seen .edu accounts on eBay for 5-10$. Are they legit? And will I be able to store anything? Thank you 

I think you might need to provide proof with you student ID card.

3 minutes ago, VinZie said:

I think you might need to provide proof with you student ID card.

Someone said on some other forum that he has already stored 450tb on Google drive using.edu account from ebay

Just now, apaar123 said:

Someone said on some other forum that he has already stored 450tb on Google drive using.edu account from ebay

I highly doubt it. .edu accounts must go through the school to be setup. He probably bought the account from the kid with the preset password and stuff. He doesn't own it. The school does, so it can be taken anytime.

1 minute ago, apaar123 said:

did he provide any proof of this?

2 minutes ago, VinZie said:

I highly doubt it. .edu accounts must go through the school to be setup. He probably bought the account from the kid with the preset password and stuff. He doesn't own it. The school does, so it can be taken anytime.

Yeah so if I leave my college will that account be gone?

1 minute ago, RollinLower said:

did he provide any proof of this?

I didn't asked for one but I can 

Just now, apaar123 said:

I didn't asked for one but I can 

Yeah ask for proof.

Just now, apaar123 said:

Possibly, you can ask them.

37 minutes ago, apaar123 said:

Depends on the school. When schools first starting giving .edu email addresses, they stopped working shortly after graduation (an easy way for admins to do it is purge anyone who hasn't signed up for classes after the cutoff for the next semester, but policies varied). Nowadays some schools, like JMU, promise that you will be able to keep using your .edu email forever. In response, some companies have started placing a 4 or 5 year limit on any .edu privileges your acccount recieves. You'll have to check the fine print on Google's "unlimited storage for .edu" profram to find out if they do this.

Also, in regards to buying a .edu email address, that falls under the same impersonation laws as a fake ID or identity fraud. And more than likely those emails aren't being sold by students, they are from someone hacking into a school's email system (not all schools can afford a large and thorough IT staff)

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

24 minutes ago, brwainer said:

Depends on the school. When schools first starting giving .edu email addresses, they stopped working shortly after graduation (an easy way for admins to do it is purge anyone who hasn't signed up for classes after the cutoff for the next semester, but policies varied). Nowadays some schools, like JMU, promise that you will be able to keep using your .edu email forever. In response, some companies have started placing a 4 or 5 year limit on any .edu privileges your acccount recieves. You'll have to check the fine print on Google's "unlimited storage for .edu" profram to find out if they do this.

Also, in regards to buying a .edu email address, that falls under the same impersonation laws as a fake ID or identity fraud. And more than likely those emails aren't being sold by students, they are from someone hacking into a school's email system (not all schools can afford a large and thorough IT staff)

Well I will be going for masters and will be trying for CMU and Stanford so hopefully they give forever 

1 hour ago, apaar123 said:

Guys is it true that anyone with an .edu account gets unlimited storage on Google drive? I will be soon going to college and maybe this can help me and I have also seen .edu accounts on eBay for 5-10$. Are they legit? And will I be able to store anything? Thank you 

If the school is using Google Apps for Education/G Suite, yes, it's true.

The accounts on eBay are probably legit, however it's likely you will lose access to the accounts in time due to the school or Google terminating it. Yes, you will be able to store things -- unless whoever had access to the account got the Drive permissions removed (by abusing it).

That said, the IT can see how much storage you're using and as far as I'm aware, go through the files stored in that Drive.

13 minutes ago, Jade said:

If the school is using Google Apps for Education/G Suite, yes, it's true.

The accounts on eBay are probably legit, however it's likely you will lose access to the accounts in time due to the school or Google terminating it. Yes, you will be able to store things -- unless whoever had access to the account got the Drive permissions removed (by abusing it).

That said, the IT can see how much storage you're using and as far as I'm aware, go through the files stored in that Drive.

hopefully my uni will be using it

2 minutes ago, apaar123 said:

hopefully my uni will be using it

Tread carefully, they can and will terminate it if you abuse it. Don't store data you can't afford to lose on it.

7 minutes ago, Jade said:

Tread carefully, they can and will terminate it if you abuse it. Don't store data you can't afford to lose on it.

abuse it like how?

19 minutes ago, apaar123 said:

abuse it like how?

Don't store obscene amounts of data (half a petabyte like that one person is... a lot); it'll greatly increase your chances of losing access. Don't store pirated media (at least, that they can identify.) Just... use common sense.

4 hours ago, apaar123 said:

To my understanding .edu accounts for students are only valid while you are enrolled. Also, if Google found out some way, they could charge you with fraud. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

6 hours ago, apaar123 said:

Sounds a bit far fetched. Besides, how much data do you really want to store? These days with 10TB disks being reasonably cheap you could create your own mass archival storage and set it up to be accessed from anywhere.

And as Donut117 stated if you got found out the jig would be up and repercussions could be harsh.