DIY PC

Wow did you write this for a school project?

Great post and very informative. I wish there were resources as great as these around when I first started getting into computers.

It does not have to be expensive if you buy the right components for the budget

It is demonstrated in this video 

300$ is not really enough for gaming, a good graphics card will cost more than that whole budget all together. $300 is cutting it REALLY tight not to mention you'll be stuck with the stock cooler, and on my fx-8350 it sounds like a hair-dryer when it's under 50% + load

300$ is not really enough for gaming, a good graphics card will cost more than that whole budget all together. $300 is cutting it REALLY tight not to mention you'll be stuck with the stock cooler, and on my fx-8350 it sounds like a hair-dryer when it's under 50% + load

I know it was just to prove that pcs do not have to be expensive and also you can spend $600 and you will be set with a decent pc if you spend the money right

Join the Linus Tech Tips Conglomerate in Star Citizen 

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/UOLTT

Enlist NOW to join the fleet!!!

Great post ^^

but you can build a cheap gaming computer;

- like if you hit up tetris real hard on ultra graphics, you won't have to spend that much..

- if you want to do BF3 (not sure about BF4) on ultra graphics then you should prolly spend like... a couple hundred on a video card and ram, but seriously not too much. To be fair though, you can search the internet on like 20 different sites and compare each part you want to buy, you can save a decent amount of money that way...

e.g. I was looking for Notua NF-F12 PWM fans, i searched about 20 sites (out of curiosity) and found that:

- 2 (10%) sold them for $17+ (*on sale) / $20+ (normal)

- 17 (85%) sold them for $24+ (normal)

- 1 (5%) sold it for $45+ (normal)

So you can see that on average if you shop around you can shave a few bucks off here and there (the more it cost, the more you save), but you can also see that if you look at the wrong seller online you can pay an absurd amount for an item.

I know it was just to prove that pcs do not have to be expensive and also you can spend $600 and you will be set with a decent pc if you spend the money right

true, true, my first pc cost me like £400 so about $540 it could play battlefiled 3 on high settings and it was 4 years old

Awesome guide for starters like me :D

My Rigs:

Spoiler

System 1:

Spoiler

Purpose: Gaming

OS: Windows 10 Pro | CPU: Intel Core i5 6500 | Mobo: Asrock B150M Pro4 Hyper | GPU: MSI RX480 Gaming X 8G | Storage: 120GB SSD ADATA + 1 TB Seagate Baracuda | RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2133MHz | PSU: 600 Watt Cooler Master B600 | Display: LG 24MP88HM-S FHD Monitor | Accessories: ASUS Cerberus Gaming KB & Mouse Kit

System 2:

Spoiler

Purpose - NAS/Virtualization

OS: Ubuntu KDE 18.04 | CPU: Core i3 4130 | Mobo: Gigabyte H81M DS2 | RAM: 8 GB DDR3 1600Mhz | PSU: Corsair VS550 | DVD Drive: LG DVD Multi | Display: Acer G195HQ | Storage: 4TB 1+1+2 | Accessories: Logitech Classic K100 & Leviathan ELE G1 Gaming Mouse.

Laptop: Lenovo Essentials B490

Spoiler

Purpose: Server - HP ProLiant DL360 Gen5

OS: Ubuntu Server 18.04 | CPU: 2 x Intel® Xeon® Processor E5440 4 Cores | RAM : 16 GB DDR2 ECC | Storage: 146GB SAS Disk

Sound System: Creative SBS A-120 2.1

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering will you be doing any bench and reviews of the new M.2 SSD and other supported devices? 

Wow did you write this for a school project?

Great post and very informative. I wish there were resources as great as these around when I first started getting into computers.

Left school a while ago :P Just wrote it because I had the time.

I was wondering will you be doing any bench and reviews of the new M.2 SSD and other supported devices? 

Nope.

Awesome thread. Thanks a lot.

Mid-2013 11" MacBook Air — Intel Core i5 @ 1.3GHz 8GB RAM.

BitFenix Prodigy ITX — Intel Core i5 4570 — MSI H87I — 8GB RAM — Gigabyte Windforce R9 280X — Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB — XFX TS650.

• 2 weeks later...

I might build a really over kill system and need to know how much watt i need on my psu so im thinking 3 780 ti,4770k, 6 WD black 4Tb, 3 1Tb samsung evo, 1 128gb intel something ssd, and might water cool it at some point.  

I might build a really over kill system and need to know how much watt i need on my psu so im thinking 3 780 ti,4770k, 6 WD black 4Tb, 3 1Tb samsung evo, 1 128gb intel something ssd, and might water cool it at some point.  

1200w however you're also going to want a RAID card and probably to move to LGA 2011 for PCI bandwith.

• 2 weeks later...

WAYY too true. The biggest misconception is that of you have a really good CPU, you can run games amazingly, which is false. You need to depend on a Graphics card.

Error 404: No signature found.

Well, I'll have to bookmark this thread.. I'll redirect many newcomer friends that I have  ^_^

Humpty Dumpty was pushed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a Sony Vaio VGN-NR120e that I'm working on upgrade.  I'd like to find some documentation on potential mobo upgrades for this laptop.  Does anybody have any links/documentation they can throw at me?  I've been googling a ton, but nothing obvious has surfaced for me.

• 2 weeks later...

i would like to have a DIY case something not very common. What do you suggest ???

I have a Sony Vaio VGN-NR120e that I'm working on upgrade.  I'd like to find some documentation on potential mobo upgrades for this laptop.  Does anybody have any links/documentation they can throw at me?  I've been googling a ton, but nothing obvious has surfaced for me.

Mobo upgrades in a laptop are pretty rare and difficult.

i would like to have a DIY case something not very common. What do you suggest ???

Use your imagination. :P 

• 2 weeks later...

i have a post that could be tied into this that has some different prices and purposes of pre made lists, maybe you could put somthing like that on this thread

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome, short and sweet, covers the subject really well.

Hey guys I'm thinking of building a new gaming PC and i was wondering if this setup is ok:

Fractal Design Arc XL

Corsair CS Series Modular CS650M

ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer

AMD FX-6350 3.9GHz

Corsair Hydro Series H110

EVGA GeForce GTX 770 Superclocked w/ EVGA ACX Cooler

Samsung 840 EVO 120GB SATA-III 2.5 inch SSD

Seagate Enterprise 1TB SATA-III 7200 RPM 128MB

Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1866MHz (2x4)

With this rig I'm all most at my budget limit, I'm also thinking of buying a new monitor with the rest.

So is there anything you would change? 

Hey guys I'm thinking of building a new gaming PC and i was wondering if this setup is ok:

Fractal Design Arc XL

Corsair CS Series Modular CS650M

ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer

AMD FX-6350 3.9GHz

Corsair Hydro Series H110

EVGA GeForce GTX 770 Superclocked w/ EVGA ACX Cooler

Samsung 840 EVO 120GB SATA-III 2.5 inch SSD

Seagate Enterprise 1TB SATA-III 7200 RPM 128MB

Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1866MHz (2x4)

With this rig I'm all most at my budget limit, I'm also thinking of buying a new monitor with the rest.

So is there anything you would change?

I would suggest dropping the h110 and get a cheaper air cool and upgrade the cpu to a 8320 or 8350 if possible.