DIY PC

If you have someone who is new to pc's and wants to learn more/build one, send them to this post

I know some have answered with tongue in cheek, but as a complete numpty I found the article very useful!

Thanks for the food for thought

D

helped a lot

CPU:AMD FX-8350 @ 4.7 Ghz CPU Cooler:Akasa Venom Medusa GPU:MSI Nvidia GTX 780 3GB OC MB:Gigabyte 990FX UD5 RAM:Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb 1600mhz PSU:CoolerMaster B700 85%+ SSD:Samsung 840 EVO 120GB(Windows) a 320GB Seagate(Storage) and a 500GB Western Digital(Storage) CASE:Fractal Desigh Define S

Such a nice and detailed read!! I do have one question though. In your post you said you would recommend 8GB of 1600 MHz of C9 RAM. What is the "C9" part of that? Sorry, I'm still learning.

Such a nice and detailed read!! I do have one question though. In your post you said you would recommend 8GB of 1600 MHz of C9 RAM. What is the "C9" part of that? Sorry, I'm still learning.

Latency: the two major types are C9 and C10. 

That's one great post there, happy to see mod' participate in the forums' activity.

Stop bloating nonsense, and reason to contribute in a constructive manner.

Ehat would be beeter for two moniters sli760 or one 780 im going to game on one moniter and the other aux

Ehat would be beeter for two moniters sli760 or one 780 im going to game on one moniter and the other aux

Just get a 770 or 7950 or 7970.

Here is a build I am wanting to do as soon as I get a job and get the money. Please tell me if you would change something. Note: I am aiming for ultimate budget and performance and AMD was best bang for the buck in my opinion* (All products were taken off of Newegg and rounded up to the nearest dollar. Actual price is $581.90. Everything does have free shipping on this list.)

$120 (AMD A8-6600 Richland 3.9 GHz Socket FM2 100W Quad-Core)

$60 (MSI FM2-A75MA-E35 FM2 AMD A7 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0)

$40 (XION XON-560 mATX/ITX)

$59 (Kingston HyperX XMP Blu Red Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) )

$65 (Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1TB 7200 RPM)

$50 (Kingwin ABT-750MM 750W ATX 12V)

$11 (Cooler Master R4-L2S-122B-GP 120mm 4 Blue LED case fan 2 in 1 pack)

$59 (Corsair Hydro Series H55 Quiet CPU Coolers)

$18 (ASUS 24x DVD Burner)

$100 (MSI R7770-PMD1GD5 Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB)

$582 All together

Here is a build I am wanting to do as soon as I get a job and get the money. Please tell me if you would change something. Note: I am aiming for ultimate budget and performance and AMD was best bang for the buck in my opinion* (All products were taken off of Newegg and rounded up to the nearest dollar. Actual price is $581.90. Everything does have free shipping on this list.)

$582 All together

Please create a New Thread in New Builds and Planning by clicking the "Start New Topic" button located on the right side of the page because this thread is a guide and not a thread to get advice about your build. Before creating your new thread, read this so the community can get an idea on what kind of build you want to create. 

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Please create a New Thread in New Builds and Planning by clicking the "Start New Topic" button located on the right side of the page because this thread is a guide and not a thread to get advice about your build. Before creating your new thread, read this so the community can get an idea on what kind of build you want to create. 

Thank you. I just signed up soI don't know all of the threads yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow great post. Will adding a 2nd card increase performance on 5760x1080 (3 monitor) display, or do I need more VRAM for that?

More VRAM definetly. If you have multiple 3 gb cards, you still only have in total 3 gb of dedticated graphics memory, as each card needs their own memory on their own card. The only time this rule doesn't apply is with multi chip-per-card solutions, as a GTX 690 or AMD 6990.

Intel 3570k @ 4.5GHz | Coolermaster N520 | ASUS P8Z77-V LE Plus | MSI GTX 760 Gaming Edition | Patriot Pyro 120 GB SSD | Seagate 2TB HDD | WD Black 750 GB HDD | Acer H236HL | NEC 1740CX | Razer Blackwidow Original w/ Gunmetal Grey Plasti-Dip| Razer Imperator 2012 | Moto X 32Gb

http://steamcoumminuty.com/id/precourser | https://teksyndicate.com/users/precourser | http://www.youtube.com/user/Precourser1

$582 All together

You don't need a 750w power supply at all for a 7770. 400w might even do the trick.

Intel 3570k @ 4.5GHz | Coolermaster N520 | ASUS P8Z77-V LE Plus | MSI GTX 760 Gaming Edition | Patriot Pyro 120 GB SSD | Seagate 2TB HDD | WD Black 750 GB HDD | Acer H236HL | NEC 1740CX | Razer Blackwidow Original w/ Gunmetal Grey Plasti-Dip| Razer Imperator 2012 | Moto X 32Gb

http://steamcoumminuty.com/id/precourser | https://teksyndicate.com/users/precourser | http://www.youtube.com/user/Precourser1

Great post this is awesome

• 2 weeks later...

I am planning on building a new gaming for under $1,000 USD. 

This is what I have planned to buy:

AMD 'RIchland' A10-6800K APU (Going to OC as much as possible)

Corsair H100i

WD 2TB Green

Corsair CX600W

ADATA XPG V2 16 GB 2400 MHz

Sapphire Radeon HD Vapor-X OC 7950 (I found one for $250)

Gigabyte GA-F2A85XN-WiFi

BitFenix Phenom Mini-ITX

DO you guys have any suggestions? And if you could what would you change to improve performance?

My Build Log on PCPartPicker FX-6300, ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3, MSI 7870 GHz Edition, Corsair Vengeance LP 1x8GB, 1TB WD Blue, Fractal Core 1000 USB 3.0, Corsair CX600, and my most recent addition that I've had forever and isnt new is a 80GB WD800 for Linux, Lenovo ThinkPad X131e, ASUS Transformer TF300T, Galaxy Note 3 Sister dropped it in a puddle I now have to use a Samsung Brightside, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm version, Blue Yeti  #TheRealKEH-JEFF | "Sometimes, if were lucky, in Australia, a family has 2 kangaroos to pick up the kids with" - marto | Your entry here | Remember kids; just because Linus has a video on it, doesn't mean that its the best choice | ts3.wferr.com the best TeamSpeak Abide by the CoC | Looking for build help? Read this before posting |

I am planning on building a new gaming for under $1,000 USD. 

This is what I have planned to buy:

AMD 'RIchland' A10-6800K APU (Going to OC as much as possible)

Corsair H100i

WD 2TB Green

Corsair CX600W

ADATA XPG V2 16 GB 2400 MHz

Sapphire Radeon HD Vapor-X OC 7950 (I found one for $250)

Gigabyte GA-F2A85XN-WiFi

BitFenix Phenom Mini-ITX

DO you guys have any suggestions? And if you could what would you change to improve performance?

Please create a new thread in New Builds and Planning and be sure to read this and answer this in your thread: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-reccomendations-please-read-before-posting/

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

This is a fantastic post, and I've linked to it several times when friends have come to me seeking advice on their first computer build!

CPU i5 4430 3Ghz | Ram: 16GB DDR3 1600 | GPU: GTX 650 Ti 1GB | Mobo: H87N-Wifi | Case: White Bitfenix Prodigy | Boot Drive: 120GB 840 Evo (Mac OS X) 120gb OCZ Vertex 3 (Windows) | Games Drive: 640GB WD Green | OS: Windows 8 & OS X 10.9.1

I love all technology. The perfection of macs for my designer side, and the hardware and fun of tinkering on the of the pc side. We can have it all, just not at the same time.

Great post. Lots of useful information for newbies like me ;P

wow very informative :) nice post

CPU: Fx 8350 | CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo Now  AMD STOCK CPU COOLER | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 (rev 1.1)   NOW MSI 990FXA-GD80 | Ram: Corsair Vengence 8GB DDR3 Motherboard detects 7gb for some weird reason | Graphics Card: SAPPHIRE HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB GDDR5 |  HDD: 1 TB samsung 

Case: CM elite 310 | Monitor: Aoc e2050S

OS: Windows 8 Professional 64 Bit NOW  Wndows 10 Professional 64 Bit

Power Supply: Cooler Master Thunder 500W NOW GX 650W v2

• 3 weeks later...

Awesome post.. Many people just spend on a better motherboard.. faster ram and other "necessary" parts thinking it will help improve the overall experience..

The matter of fact is like what u mentioned.. "the performance over cost diminishes above a certain point" and buying the right components is crucial. Every 1st time builder should take a look at that.

Awesome and Informative post!:)

• 2 weeks later...

sli and crossfire increase performance so much and usually you can get a fairly cheap setup this way

I was wondering if the fine folks here could lend their opinion of my components list for my first build. If you have any recommendations, particularly as to if I might be wasting money or spending too much. All in all I feel I am making a respectable machine with current budget of 1500 which actually includes a few peripherals.

Corsair C70 mid-tower military green case- 119

Intel i5 4670K- 234

EVGA GeForce GTX760 2Gb- 259

Corsair Vengeance 16Gb DDR3 1600- 149

Samsung 840 EVO 250Gb SSD- 175

Corsair GS700 PSU- 109

MSI C87 G45 1150 Motherboard- 153

Corsair H100i Cooler- 99

ASUS 24x DVR/RW Drive - 25

Thoughts, suggestions, any and all would be appreciated. Particularly my curiosities lie with the processor (if AMD can be equally suited and with a fairer price tag, although there I am more concerned with quality and longevity) the graphics card, there are so many i never really know, and RAM. Mainly, could I cut cost but putting in the 8Gb (2x4Gb) set and then at a later date just swapping out the sticks for the 2x8 set. Thanks again in advance everyone, I plan on starting this project as soon as I get home from Afghanistan and before school starts. Could not be more excited.

Regards,

D

Stay Frosty,

D.