Resource heavy on reply in Edge

jossi

Hi Guys,

not sure if this was reported previously by anyone, but I already stumbled upon this twice. Whenever I open reply box on a topic in Edge it starts going bonkers on CPU load and memory use. Below you can see it for yourself - it stays that way until I leave the page.

My battery suffers from that and I love reading the Forum on the go!.

Did anyone else experience something similar?

I'll try to see whether this also happens for me in Chrome.ltt_resource_heavy.thumb.png.b89726cfbc811dc2da34e6fde928a20d.png

It does spike resource usage for me but no higher than 15% of the CPU and 300mb of memory...It may be that your computer is moderately underpowered or edge has issues. I'll try it on edge now.

I suck a typing, preparw for typos.

Desktop

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x MOBO: MSI X570-A Pro RAM: 32 GB Corsair DDR4

GPUS: Gigabyte GTX 1660ti OC 6G  CASE: Corsair Carbide 100R STORAGE: Samsung Evo 960 500GB, Crucial P1 M.2 NVME 1TB   PSU: Corsair CX550M CPU COOLER: Corsair H100x

LAPTOP

Apple Macbook Pro 13 M1 Pro

I've made all of my 4,000+ posts using Edge, and I've never experienced something like this.

But you know how windows is. nearly every install of windows is borked in one way or another.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Hmm edge causes absolutely no spike or extra usage in task manager...replying typing reacting browsing, no effect. Might be something else.

I suck a typing, preparw for typos.

Desktop

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x MOBO: MSI X570-A Pro RAM: 32 GB Corsair DDR4

GPUS: Gigabyte GTX 1660ti OC 6G  CASE: Corsair Carbide 100R STORAGE: Samsung Evo 960 500GB, Crucial P1 M.2 NVME 1TB   PSU: Corsair CX550M CPU COOLER: Corsair H100x

LAPTOP

Apple Macbook Pro 13 M1 Pro

Hey Guys,

just tested it out in Chrome. Some new findings - it happens on LTT Official section of the Forum on single reviews - no need to even hit that reply box.

On Chrome it's not as memory heavy, but it's still eating up CPU like hell.

I'm on i5-6200U - it's not a performance beast, but I experienced something similar only on extremely ad-heavy websites.

ltt_resource_heavy_2.thumb.png.f73310d9345da959f8a3aa76d6ac3a6e.png

After the Creators Update, displaying the contents of a PDF file on screen (Using Edge) uses 90% + of my CPU (i5-6500) and temps go crazy (Not to mention it takes so long to just display the content). And this happens every time I scroll. So your not the only one with these issues. I'm hoping it will be fixed in the next update.

I can't reproduce this in Edge on my Windows 10 VM, which is not currently running the creators' update, and neither can I reproduce it in Chrome running directly on Linux. I have an i7 6500U, which shouldn't be much more powerful than your i5.

CPU usage does increases a bit when scrolling, and gifs can also cause an increases in CPU usage, which might be what is causing your issues, but the site seems to work fine for me.

HTTP/2 203

Maybe this is really tied to Creators' Update - I ran it on my Desktop which is on Insiders' Preview and I witnessed the same thing - strange.

Anyway, still huge fan of your work guys!

EDIT: Just been thinking a little bit more about it -> could it be that some JS doesn't recognize the OS/Browser which makes it start some endless looping? 

EDIT2: @colonel_mortis I just fired up a console and this is what I've found:ltt_resource_heavy_3.png.e9736a6d207ce1b0cb897d5c43694aae.png

As you can see in the right corner, the number of errors is quite high - it's because they are being fired in an endless loop.

Edited by jossi
New insights

22 hours ago, jossi said:

Maybe this is really tied to Creators' Update - I ran it on my Desktop which is on Insiders' Preview and I witnessed the same thing - strange.

Anyway, still huge fan of your work guys!

EDIT: Just been thinking a little bit more about it -> could it be that some JS doesn't recognize the OS/Browser which makes it start some endless looping? 

EDIT2: @colonel_mortis I just fired up a console and this is what I've found:ltt_resource_heavy_3.png.e9736a6d207ce1b0cb897d5c43694aae.png

As you can see in the right corner, the number of errors is quite high - it's because they are being fired in an endless loop.

Those errors are being triggered by the YouTube player, so it is possible that there is a problem with the YouTube player, but it's not something that we can control.

HTTP/2 203