Suppressing Keyboard Noises?

HelixEon

I just got an entry level mechanical keyboard, the Redragon Kumara K552 today and I was wondering if I could tone the noise down a bit. After some searching, I found out about O-Rings and I would like to know the effectiveness of the o-rings in suppressing the sound.

Something that I have noticed to help is getting a large extended thick mouse pad. It makes a difference if your keyboard is on a wooded desk. Idk about other surfaces though personally.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

Just now, Orangeator said:

Something that I have noticed to help is getting a large extended thick mouse pad. It makes a difference if your keyboard is on a wooded desk. Idk about other surfaces though personally.

I have wood, that makes the sound louder?

You know that foam that YouTubers use? That stops echos? Or that stuff Linus uses in his server room? Stick some in your keyboard.

Just now, VinZie said:

You know that foam that YouTubers use? That stops echos? Or that stuff Linus uses in his server room? Stick some in your keyboard.

What dude

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Just now, Slottr said:

The rings work well

In doing what? I got Cherry MX Green clones...

Just now, HelixEon said:

I have wood, that makes the sound louder?

No it dampens the echo that you probably don't realize you are hearing. I put my KM780 Brown on an extended mouse pad and it changed the noise. It is quieter.

No it dampens the echo that you probably don't realize you are hearing. I put my KM780 Brown on an extended mouse pad and it changed the noise. It is quieter.

I put my keyboard on the mousepad... the same result, maybe placebo effect?

Just now, HelixEon said:

I put my keyboard on the mousepad... the same result, maybe placebo effect?

Do you have an extended (meaning the entire keyboard fits on the mouse pad with the mouse) mouse-pad? Also it has to be a fairly thick one.

2 minutes ago, Slottr said:

What dude

He's talking about sound foam.

1 minute ago, VinZie said:

Well I know youre talking about that, but "stick some in your keyboard" ??? 

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Do you have an extended (meaning the entire keyboard fits on the mouse pad with the mouse) mouse-pad? Also it has to be a fairly thick one.

It's the steelseries one

Just now, Slottr said:

Well I know youre talking about that, but "stick some in your keyboard" ??? 

It's banter m8

2 minutes ago, HelixEon said:

It's the steelseries one

Okay that did not answer my question, does your mouse pad fit he profile of what I described above? Lol. Moral of the story what it does is prevent the thumping from the keys, causing the wood to echo it.

2 minutes ago, Orangeator said:

Okay that did not answer my question, does your mouse pad fit he profile of what I described above? Lol. Moral of the story what it does is prevent the thumping from the keys, causing the wood to echo it.

Moral of the story is everyone else and I have to get used to the noise.

2 minutes ago, HelixEon said:

Moral of the story is everyone else and I have to get used to the noise.

Well yes that came with the purchase of a mechanical keyboard. You trade noise for a superior typing experience. I honestly like the sound of MX Browns. You could always do something stupid like build a box around the keyboard that is lined with sound dampening foam with holes to put your hands through. That would be effective but completely impractical.

Well yes that came with the purchase of a mechanical keyboard. You trade noise for a superior typing experience. I honestly like the sound of MX Browns. You could always do something stupid like build a box around the keyboard that is lined with sound dampening foam with holes to put your hands through. That would be effect but completely impractical.

Works...

1 minute ago, Orangeator said:

Well yes that came with the purchase of a mechanical keyboard. You trade noise for a superior typing experience. I honestly like the sound of MX Browns. You could always do something stupid like build a box around the keyboard that is lined with sound dampening foam with holes to put your hands through. That would be effective but completely impractical.

btw, can I drink u? thx

1 minute ago, HelixEon said:

btw, can I drink u? thx

Can you buy me a drink? Hell yeah! Can you drink me? That is an affirmative no...

21 minutes ago, HelixEon said:

I just got an entry level mechanical keyboard, the Redragon Kumara K552 today and I was wondering if I could tone the noise down a bit. After some searching, I found out about O-Rings and I would like to know the effectiveness of the o-rings in suppressing the sound.

If you bottom out when your typing yes it can help reduce the clacking or noise from the keycaps/switches.

1 hour ago, HelixEon said:

In doing what? I got Cherry MX Green clones...

46 minutes ago, W-L said:

If you bottom out when your typing yes it can help reduce the clacking or noise from the keycaps/switches.

What  he said, reduces noise a bit if you bottom out keys. I also found it made my typing less fatiguing but I slam on keys pretty hard when typing.

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

1 hour ago, Slottr said:

What dude

the correct term is

Wut. - YouTube

i5 6600k and GTX 1070 but I play 1600-900. 1440p BABY!

Still, don't put too much faith in my buying decisions. xD 

Lol, I have the same keyboard and if you want less noise, try to press the keys lighter, because when bottoming out the sound of the switch hitting the bottom is rather loud compared to half press typing. It personally doesn't bother me much as I use a typewriter on a daily basis since my printer ran out of ink....so yeah.

I suck a typing, preparw for typos.

Desktop

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x MOBO: MSI X570-A Pro RAM: 32 GB Corsair DDR4

GPUS: Gigabyte GTX 1660ti OC 6G  CASE: Corsair Carbide 100R STORAGE: Samsung Evo 960 500GB, Crucial P1 M.2 NVME 1TB   PSU: Corsair CX550M CPU COOLER: Corsair H100x

LAPTOP

Apple Macbook Pro 13 M1 Pro