LG 5K Montor - a PC User's Perspective

LinusTech

I think it is a beautiful monitor and when it gets it's software updates it will be a all around great monitor

Displayport 1.3 can carry 5k at 60hz, and wikipedia says that usb c can carry displayport 1.3, do current laptops still have displayport 1.2? Or why can't they carry 5k @ 60hz if they are using displayport 1.3?

source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB-C#Alternate_Mode_partner_specifications

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort#Resolution_and_refresh_frequency_limits_for_DisplayPort

17 minutes ago, Colin Donoghue said:

I think it is a beautiful monitor and when it gets it's software updates it will be a all around great monitor

You can't fix the resolution issue with software updates, at least if what linus said is fully accurate.

They simply need to make the monitor with a DisplayPort 1.4 port, which would support up to 8K at 60 hz and 10bit color + HDR, and it also supports DSC (Display Stream Compression, visually lossless real time compression) which is required above 4k@120hz or 5k@60hz or 8k@30hz.

Yet another reason not to get a PC.

Oh crap what did I just say? People will hate me now. :)

25 minutes ago, Darth Revan said:

You mean, yet another reason not to get hardware with old displayport implementations (seems to be 1.2), Although I agree that there are many reasons not to use windows.

44 minutes ago, Darth Revan said:

GoodBytes and AluminumTech will hate you for saying that ????

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

crossover episode!

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

For controlling the display, does it work using a DDC/CI controller application?

For example, can a program like screenbright control it? http://www.softpedia.com/get/Desktop-Enhancements/Other-Desktop-Enhancements/ScreenBright.shtml

WpbI5R4.gif

The application is very basic, but is a good way to test if a display supports DDC/CI controls (most monitors do)

PS, if you are using custom adjustments on the OSD for your monitor, do not make adjustments using this app, as it will adjust those settings, which can be annoying if you did not take a pic or copy down the values you set your display to.

If so then it may be possible to add complete granular control on windows if they released some drivers for it.

Symless/synergy does not play nicely with vmware. Symless does not seem to care by looking at the year old report https://github.com/symless/synergy/issues/5226

If you are exclusive windows user and also use vmware Stardock's Multiplicity is a much better choice.

I used earlier 30% rebate to purchase Symless and they do not make the refund process easy.

Okay, if LG 5K is not the best choice for PC User which USB-C monitor should I get? Whenever I try research google for that I get the same list of monitors which are either ridiculously expensive or not available on the other side of the pond (Europe)... Could anyone on this forum help me out on a quest of finding one decent option?

HP Envy 27 - only available in Europe as an '27s' model without USB-C

LG 4K - it's a bit too small

LG 5K - price tag + whatever was said in this review - for which I'm thankful!

Lenovo ThinkVision X1 - at this price point (770EUR ~= 850USD) it could offer some sort of decent adjustment

Acer H277HU - so far it's shaping as the decent alternative to all mentioned above, so I'm leaning towards it - though, it's a bit old and not 4K

A bit....cringey to be frank but still a good video. But please, simple B-roll and still shoot will do, there is no need pointing to everything by hand.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Why exactly are the colors on this particular monitor better on mac?

8-bit only on windows with usb-c for now?

17 hours ago, mariushm said:

@LinusTech or some moderator, may want to correct the thread title, there's an i missing

you are right it says montor for those of you wondering it should say monitor.

Well now all we need is the n to go missing and it will say motor!

I loved the thing you did with the  'techquickie linus' skit.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

10 hours ago, Castdeath97 said:

A bit....cringey to be frank but still a good video. But please, simple B-roll and still shoot will do, there is no need pointing to everything by hand.

Oh, come on! This was a great video.

On 5/7/2017 at 2:22 PM, Castdeath97 said:

I thought it was quite a good video with neat integration. 

Sent from my Casio fx-991ES

I've just posted the same in the comments on YouTube, but I figured you might see it here, as I have a couple of corrections/amendments to your video (one of which is correcting your correction!)

First off, I'm not sure why you've added text at 4m 7s to say that the power provided by the LG Ultrafine 5K display is only 60W to the MacBook Pro when the original dialog said otherwise, because that's now untrue. That display absolutely does provide 85W to the Mac for sure - I have this setup with 2 of the 5K displays, and it absolutely does provide the correct amount of power. The only time it does not (with the MBP) is if you connect with a non Thunderbolt 3 grade USB-C cable (because the cable can't supply it).

Perhaps you've become confused with the 4K ultrafine as that can only provide 60W (because it is not Thunderbolt 3 using the DP dual channel bodge) - and when you connect that 4K display to a 15" MBP, if you push the demand on energy consumption up, you'll see the battery slowly drain (and eventually the Mac goes off - a few hours later once demand outstrips total available supply from the monitor + battery combo). However, this is not the case if you use the 5K + 15" MBP because it *is* supplying the correct power (and is confirmed in the Mac System information too!).

Also.. you mention the brightness being a pain to control (or not controllable) in Windows. It's also not as good as you stated on Mac (7m 45s) & indeed not really fully controllable without hassle when you connect 2 of those displays, the Mac brightness controls only control the 5K display that was first detected/connected, and the other one cannot be controlled with those hot keys - you have to go into the settings > display and manually change the sliders on each monitor, which is also rubbish as you can't (apart from max or min) really set them to the same brightness...