Why Doesn't Linus Record in 60fps

Hi1307

I'm pretty sure everyone's monitor here is 60fps (even phone screens run at 60fps). So why isn't LMG recording in 60fps? Are you telling more people have 8K screens than 60fps screens?!

YouTube has supported 60fps videos for years now, and LMG's workflow is still 30fps videos. WTF?

Reddit - /u/Hi1307

YouTube - Hi1307

Twitch - Hi1307

Pokémon GO - Hi1307

1 minute ago, PineyCreek said:

Saving space?  Maybe Channel Super Fun could benefit from it, but unless there's a lot of motion, why bother increasing storage requirements and rendering time?

Not the entire video will benefit from 60fps capture (like B-Roll), but outdoor videos, like Pimp My Wi-Fi® does benefit from 60fps recording.

Reddit - /u/Hi1307

YouTube - Hi1307

Twitch - Hi1307

Pokémon GO - Hi1307

Just now, Hi1307 said:

Not the entire video will benefit from 60fps capture (like B-Roll), but outdoor videos, like Pimp My Wi-Fi® does benefit from 60fps recording.

Well, yes, that I agree with.  However, it could put a bump in their workflow with the extra rendering time.  Seems like most YouTube channels I've seen stick to a particular standard.  Maybe 1080p30 is just theirs.  They already downscale from high-res cameras.  Also, 30fps would be more viewable for people with crap connections maybe?

14 minutes ago, Hi1307 said:

I'm pretty sure everyone's monitor here is 60fps (even phone screens run at 60fps). So why isn't LMG recording in 60fps? Are you telling more people have 8K screens than 60fps screens?!

YouTube has supported 60fps videos for years now, and LMG's workflow is still 30fps videos. WTF?

If you look at the cinema industry (appreciated that LMG isn't in cinema) but if they shoot on a digital camera they tend to shoot in 8K and master in 4K as it gives them more flexibility in post processing. Similar to photography where a higher resolution allows for more flexibility on cropping. I am assuming LMG is doing the same thing.

As for 60fps, if you run at 30 and shoot at 60 you can slow footage down if you shoot faster you can slow down even more, this is really important for things like B roll where it needs to look smooth and buttery. The shooting in 8K for the extra power in post is also useful here.

MoBo: GIGABYTE GA-AX370-Gaming 5     CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X       Cooler: Corsair H115i with Noctua NF-A14 Fans     GPU: MSI GeForce GTX970 Gaming 4G

Memory: 2x8GB Corsair LED 3200         Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO and 1TB WD Black Enterprise

PSU: Corsair RM750i           Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX TG in Grey

I never felt like it would be necessary on his content to be 60fps.the puns ain't better at high refresh rate and it never feels choppy to watch... 

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

Tell me which one is more enjoyable to watch

I think it's pretty dumb, whether or not your a fast motion content creator or something along those lines, having 60FPS video greatly improves the quality.

I think they need to stop buying $50,000 8K cameras, ranting over them to create 8k content when less than 1% of they're viewership has 8k monitors. While on the other hand, everyone has at least a 60HZ display, maybe 30 if your trying 4k for the first time on the cheap.

I literally think that this is dumb, add 60FPS guys, we don't care about 8k.

Because 60fps doesn't make any difference to the type of videos that they make. There is a difference for video game content (depending on the genre), where there is lots of fast moving things on the screen, and the tiny increase in perception time can be advantageous, but for videos where it is just Linus talking to the camera, it will make no perceivable difference.

A while ago, I think LMG released a tech quickie video in 60fps. There were quite a few people in the comments who noticed that the video looked smoother/better. The catch is that the video wasn't actually 60fps, it was a video that was shot in 30fps, and every frame was doubled, so it is exactly the same as a 30fps video in all respects except the video size. A significant part of the perceived difference in quality is therefore the placebo effect.

HTTP/2 203

60fps isn't needed. 

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

ive never felt that LTT needs 60fps

possibly CSF.

crisp high quality 8k footage > 1440p 60fps that'll get compressed to hell

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

I'm divided here, while 60 FPS is absolutely unnecessary, the difference is there and you can see it. Just watch any E3 press in 60 FPS and you can see the difference. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

It doesn't matter for talking head videos.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

2 hours ago, colonel_mortis said:

Because 60fps doesn't make any difference to the type of videos that they make. There is a difference for video game content (depending on the genre), where there is lots of fast moving things on the screen, and the tiny increase in perception time can be advantageous, but for videos where it is just Linus talking to the camera, it will make no perceivable difference.

A while ago, I think LMG released a tech quickie video in 60fps. There were quite a few people in the comments who noticed that the video looked smoother/better. The catch is that the video wasn't actually 60fps, it was a video that was shot in 30fps, and every frame was doubled, so it is exactly the same as a 30fps video in all respects except the video size. A significant part of the perceived difference in quality is therefore the placebo effect.

8k isn't necessary for their content.

Just now, IsaacThePooper said:

8k isn't necessary for their content.

No, but 60fps is not necessary either. 8K does allow them to be more flexible in post production though, because they can zoom the footage after the fact and it still look crisp in 4K. That was the reason that they gave for switching to 4K early too.

HTTP/2 203

6 hours ago, AUniqueName said:

Tell me which one is more enjoyable to watch

This isn't real 60fps, but ethier way, i personally love the hyper real effect of 60fps, we are just so used to 24fps.

YouTube supports 8K60, just sayin

AMD Ryzen 7 1700, 3.75GHz, 1.3625v, AMD Wraith Spire.

Gigabyte GTX 1080 Windforce, 1950MHz, 10.5GHz.

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200, running at 2933. CMK16GX4M2B3200C16.

MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon, Bios v1.4.

EVGA 650GQ.

2x Sandisk SSD Plus 240GB running in raid 0.

4TB HDD.

Thermaltake View 28 Case.

LG 25" 2560x1080 IPS 60Hz, 25UM58-P. (ikr, upgrading soon).

3x Corsair SP120.

Redragon K550 RGB Mechanical Keyboard.

Logitech G300s.

Steelseries qck+ mousepad.

18 minutes ago, Arty said:

This isn't real 60fps, but ethier way, i personally love the hyper real effect of 60fps, we are just so used to 24fps.

Well no obviously not, but it was just to demonstrate that IMO, some things just look wrong in 60fps

The purpose for buying 8k cameras right now is so you can do zoom in effects post recording without a loss in quality. They don't actually render and upload anything in 8k even if they are recording at the resolution.

8 minutes ago, mail929 said:

The purpose for buying 8k cameras right now is so you can do zoom in effects post recording without a loss in quality. They don't actually render and upload anything in 8k even if they are recording at the resolution.

for $150K, you can literally buy as many 4k cameras as you can, constant aperture zoom lenses, accessories, and also hire people and still have money left over, and you saved storage space (maybe not).

ok maybe im overreacting a little bit

lol

AMD Ryzen 7 1700, 3.75GHz, 1.3625v, AMD Wraith Spire.

Gigabyte GTX 1080 Windforce, 1950MHz, 10.5GHz.

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200, running at 2933. CMK16GX4M2B3200C16.

MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon, Bios v1.4.

EVGA 650GQ.

2x Sandisk SSD Plus 240GB running in raid 0.

4TB HDD.

Thermaltake View 28 Case.

LG 25" 2560x1080 IPS 60Hz, 25UM58-P. (ikr, upgrading soon).

3x Corsair SP120.

Redragon K550 RGB Mechanical Keyboard.

Logitech G300s.

Steelseries qck+ mousepad.

12 minutes ago, MedoKn said:

for $150K, you can literally buy as many 4k cameras as you can, constant aperture zoom lenses, accessories, and also hire people and still have money left over, and you saved storage space (maybe not).

lol

You have to remember that LTT is a tech channel, and part of the reason for buying an 8K camera is because it's cutting edge. They can do videos on the camera itself.

So yeah buying multiple 4K cameras might be cheaper, but you lose some of that potential and some of that "wow cool" factor that will draw in more audience.

4 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

I'm divided here, while 60 FPS is absolutely unnecessary, the difference is there and you can see it. Just watch any E3 press in 60 FPS and you can see the difference. 

Err those are gameplay videos. There's a clear and distinct advantage to 60 FPS when it comes to things like Gameplay videos from E3. You cannot objectively compare that to LTT videos and say they are the same - it's misunderstanding the differences, at best.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

14 minutes ago, MedoKn said:

lol

No you aren't, you have a valid point. RED makes shit hardware (compared to Sony or Cannon) and prices it high because it has a cool looking skull on it. Like wtf linus why the fuck did you buy that shit