UK government is at it again, wants "almost real time" internet monitoring and encryption backdoors

Master Disaster
Go to solution Solved by leadeater,
13 minutes ago, AUniqueName said:

Yeh, their response basically was: No, the public needs this acts because of these reasons: terrorism, terrorism.... oh and terrorism

The word terrorism is like the wild card/joker in card games, the one thing that can screw over even the best hand in the game.

Raving Loony Party FTW. Think they would do a better job :)

8 hours ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

When some random stupid terrorist do some shit to endanger as much people as you can , this shit happens.

it doesn't work. You know the NSA actually had all the pieces to put together and know about 9/11 but they were lost in the mass amount they collect. 

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

come on brits, don't be so passive when the government decides to fuck you. Rebel a tiny bit.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

1 minute ago, suicidalfranco said:

come on brits, don't be so passive when the government decides to fuck you. Rebel a tiny bit.

https://www.change.org/p/uk-government-reverse-the-investigatory-powers-bill-snoopers-charter

1 minute ago, vorticalbox said:

online activism does jack, this is how you do it

292255452_2fe643fee1_o.jpg

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

1 minute ago, suicidalfranco said:

online activism does jack, this is how you do it

292255452_2fe643fee1_o.jpg

though that would be a faster bit illegal action, change.org is a very good way to get a message to government. In the UK after so many signs it has to be debated in court, I'm sure this one will get a lot of support and the change will be ditched. 

Just now, vorticalbox said:

though that would be a faster bit illegal action, change.org is a very good way to get a message to government. In the UK after so many signs it has to be debated in court, I'm sure this one will get a lot of support and the change will be ditched. 

name one petition made online that changed anything while i'll bring out the hundreds of revolts through out history that reshaped entire nations

4 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

and not a single one of them affected or was directed toward a government

9 hours ago, Mooshi said:

Boy, I'm sure glad the Brits left the EU to get rid of the nanny state! #Brexit

Except the MP's of the EU can't be held accountable and can't be elected out of the EU parliament. Whereas we can with the UK government, because it's a democracy. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

1 hour ago, vorticalbox said:

it doesn't work. You know the NSA actually had all the pieces to put together and know about 9/11 but they were lost in the mass amount they collect. 

but they still had something to track back on , in a way it's a good thing imo, i believe soon when AI's are 1000x more powerful than today's these events will be immensely helpful & become a recognizable pattern(like a symptom based diagnosis) , the building block to predict one soon.  But it's a fairy tale for now.

Details separate people.

8 hours ago, Castdeath97 said:

Is the UK even in any serious terror danger now compared to before? With the IRA almost gone things are easily better than 80s and 90s.

isis

8 hours ago, Castdeath97 said:

That's why I said compared to 80-90s ;), the IRA was no joke back then as well.

Correction Provisional IRA, RIRA IRNA. Not the IRA.

isis make the IRA look like pussy cats, the ira would give a heads up before bombs went off for the most part. isis just want to kill shit

1 hour ago, vorticalbox said:

thats the government website not change.org and it gets debated in the house of commons not court but nice try

all this comes from the last attack when it was realised that the attacker was at least looking at whatsapp just before he started attacking people. im sorry but end to end encryption just isnt needed in things like whatsapp and imessage and the like....people bang on about there civil liberties and orwell like its some massive intrusion. its like you think there is some person there reading all your messages and looking at your dick pics.....i highly doubt the nsa/gchq give two fucks how small your member is. and please dont even start with that franklin quote, which BTW has nothing to do with invasion of privacy and was actually about paying tax.  the world is changing, so too are the threats, we need to adapt to keep up.

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

Are the government stupid enough to think that serious terrorists and criminals aren't using VPNs and encrypting the devices they are using?

You can catch the guy who messages his friend on Facebook that he's gunna kill some guys because he likes the crap ISIS is feeding them, or a pedo that's sending images through an email.

But the serious criminals the one plotting 7/7 type stuff and the ones in control of human trafficking etc aren't going to be making rookie mistakes.

tldr: it'll catch a few 'idiots' but the hardcore criminals know better.

7 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

name one petition made online that changed anything while i'll bring out the hundreds of revolts through out history that reshaped entire nations

Even the US-official We The People petitions have done absolutely nothing to convince the Obama/Trump government since the petitions started

but I guess people can sign that web page with an e-mail that may well be fake and sleep soundly knowing they made a difference

13 hours ago, jaggysnake57 said:

isis

isis make the IRA look like pussy cats, the ira would give a heads up before bombs went off for the most part. isis just want to kill shit

When you look at it potentially yes, but then again PIRA could operate much more easily in the UK and had direct state support from Libya, and the thing about giving a heads up? All it took is a splinter group to scrap it once. As far as time goes I still think the number of attacks and severity is probably still higher in the 70-90s.

13 hours ago, jaggysnake57 said:

all this comes from the last attack when it was realised that the attacker was at least looking at whatsapp just before he started attacking people. im sorry but end to end encryption just isnt needed in things like whatsapp and imessage and the like....people bang on about there civil liberties and orwell like its some massive intrusion. its like you think there is some person there reading all your messages and looking at your dick pics.....i highly doubt the nsa/gchq give two fucks how small your member is. and please dont even start with that franklin quote, which BTW has nothing to do with invasion of privacy and was actually about paying tax.  the world is changing, so too are the threats, we need to adapt to keep up.

Did they say they wanted to scrap encryption? They wanted a backdoor for encryption, and just think what would happen if hackers were to get access to this backdoor? Privacy will be the last of your concerns.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

20 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

When you look at it potentially yes, but then again PIRA could operate much more easily in the UK and had direct state support, and the thing about giving a heads up? All it took is a splinter group to scrap it. As far as time goes I still think the number of attacks and severity is probably still higher in the 70-90s.

Did they say they wanted to scrap encryption? They wanted a backdoor for encryption, and just think what would happen if hackers were to get access to this backdoor? Privacy will be the last of your concerns.

there asking for a backdoor into messaging apps not all types of end 2 end. there is a difference. 

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

Just now, jaggysnake57 said:

there asking for a backdoor into messaging apps not all types of end 2 end. there is a difference. 

Even for messaging apps by the way, imagine someone gets some sensitive or private date and tries to blackmail you on it. Worse, imagine what authoritarian governments would do! Previously you could at least have some sort of net, now? Well good luck saying anything that government may not like.....

And let's not forget, that's assuming that we get the backdoor in the messaging app itself not at the encryption level.

Pascal laptops guide

Just now, Castdeath97 said:

Even for messaging apps by the way, imagine someone gets some sensitive or private date and tries to blackmail you on it. Worse, imagine what authoritarian governments would do! Previously you could at least have some sort of net, now? Well good luck saying anything that government may not like.....

And let's not forget, that's assuming that we get the backdoor in the messaging app itself not at the encryption level.

1 why are you sending sensative data via whatsapp!

2 an authoritarian government would outlaw it anyway ...china

3 of course the back door would be at the app level encryption isnt a one size fits all thing....if you break the encryption on whatsapp its not going mean you can hack banks

Just now, jaggysnake57 said:

1 why are you sending sensative data via whatsapp!

2 an authoritarian government would outlaw it anyway ...china

3 of course the back door would be at the app level encryption isnt a one size fits all thing....if you break the encryption on whatsapp its not going mean you can hack banks

1- You can't deny that some do, remember the celeb gate? But then again, what sort of sensitive data are we talking about?

2- Well, no they don't have to! Not all of them do by the way.

3- I'm no encryption expert, but I assume you are right with this one.

Pascal laptops guide

Just now, Castdeath97 said:

1- You can't deny that some do, remember the celeb gate? But then again, what sort of sensitive data are we talking about?

2- Well, no they don't have to! Not all of them do by the way.

3- I'm no encryption expert, but I assume you are right with this one.

people who send things like account details and the like deserve to get hacked its stupid. 

no they dont but my point is the uk not doing this isnt going to stop other governments from doing it.

the question you really should be asking yourself is does the government care about what your sending? are you an isis sympathiser? are you playing an attack? or are you just chatting shit with your friends?  for the average person there messages are never looked at by anyone.

On 6-5-2017 at 0:26 PM, Kumaresh said:

In case you haven't heard, there's this organization called ISIS which is hellbent on world domination. They have this penchant for sending people to western countries to behead people, stab them, run them over, shoot em up, etc. They are also hellbent on enforcing their ideology on everybody by any means necessary. They are extremely socially backward and barbaric. They keep discussing ways to send people over to western countries and stir up trouble as a more viable strategy than fighting in the middle east, where they are losing. Enough about them though, we are starting to get off topic here :/

statistically speaking the extreme right and isis trade blows in Brittan about 50/50, the IRA not counted. isis is often said to be organized but a lot of terrorist from them nowadays don't appear to have a real connection by them only influenced by them.

34 minutes ago, Kumaresh said:

I hardly hear anything about "extreme right" attackers on any news in London. You mean like rioters or some other terrorist organizations discounting the IRA ?

as someone else posted here
Capture.JPG

1 minute ago, Kumaresh said:

This list seems to be comprised very heavily of either IRA attacks or radical Islamic terrorism. But there hardly appear to be any IRA attacks as of late. I'm not seeing much of any other groups...

thats my point, no right extremists groups but there are still right extremist committing acts of terror. its split 50/50 with islamic motivated terrorists and right motivated extremists.

NordVPN uses double encryption to tunnel soooo maybe the best option for UK users?

At NordVPN, we’re passionate about privacy. That’s why we have created Double VPN, a privacy solution that sends users’ Internet traffic through two VPN servers. The double encryption may not be necessary if you simply want to unblock services that are inaccessible in your location, like WhatsApp or media content. However, in cases where high level of anonymity matters, DoubleVPN can be extremely useful.

Usually, when a user connects to the internet, the traffic travels from A (user) to B (destination). With a VPN, it first passes through a VPN server where it gets encrypted, so the connection is A – VPN Server – B.

With Double VPN, the connection is A – VPN Server 1 – VPN Server 2 – B. First, the traffic is protected with the military-grade encryption between the user’s device and the first VPN server. Then it’s encrypted again on its way to the second VPN server. In other words, the connection goes through two different servers in different locations: once traffic gets encrypted on the first one, IP changes and gets re-encrypted on the second server in another location. In the end, you get enhanced encryption, security and anonymity.

We currently offer several Double VPN combinations, including US-Canada, UK-Netherlands and Taiwan-Hong Kong. For the full Double VPN selection, check our server list.

I love Microsoft, but I can say nice stuff of other companies ;) I am a fanboy but not that type... I use a Xiaomi Mi Notebook Air 13.3" but secretly I love and want a Razer Blade. I love Xbox titles, dogs and fitness. I play with my Xbox and PC sometimes. Add me whenever you want, I am Barraguesh everywhere, fuck yeah! xD

On 5/6/2017 at 4:52 AM, Tech_Dreamer said:

When some random stupid terrorist do some shit to endanger as much people as you can , this shit happens.

This isn't about terrorism. That's just the excuse that's being used.

Royal Rumble: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/N3v3r3nding_N3wb/saved/#view=NR9ycf

"How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think." -- Adolf Hitler

"I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught." -- Winston Churchill

"We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools." -- Martin Luther King Jr.