Is upgrade to 4790k worth it

Hello,

so I currently have a little machine running i3-4160 and I am in need of an upgrade.

I am thinking about upgrading to 4790k as I could keep rest of my hardware, however, I am not sure if it is a good solution long term.

Would it make more sense to upgrade to Kaby Lake or even Ryzen? Or do you think the 4790k would still be capable of performing for a while?

That depends on the amount of money you have but yea the 4790k is ok

My life

It would be cheapest to upgrade to a 4790k. The extra cores would definitely improve your gaming, and if you have the motherboard for overclocking it that would be ideal. However even at stock speeds (that 4.4ghz boost clock) it's a pretty powerful processor. I am still running mine undervolted to 1.175v at 4.5ghz and it runs everything I play without issue at all. My GTX 980 is honestly more of a bottleneck most of the time.

4790k would be a great upgrade from any i3. 

and the best part is that you can continue using your DDR3 ram

what motherboard are you currently using? it could bottleneck your 4790k

Photography / Finance / Gaming

2 minutes ago, mok said:

what motherboard are you currently using? it could bottleneck your 4790k

'splane?

i dont know of a single board that would pose an issue for a 4790k, it may not support OCing, but the K is faster out the box than the non-K already ;)

Do it!  4790k is awesome.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

3 minutes ago, manikyath said:

'splane?

i dont know of a single board that would pose an issue for a 4790k, it may not support OCing, but the K is faster out the box than the non-K already ;)

ex if his current motherboard only has 4pin CPU power, wouldnt that limit his CPU even at stock speeds?

Photography / Finance / Gaming

I am currently using the MSI H81I. I do intend to upgrade in the future as I will require more expansion space... (yeah I built this machine for completely different tasks than I am using it for now...).
I am not too concerned about gaming, I mainly do music production and the i3 is not cutting it anymore, hence the need for an upgrade.
If I plan in the future to upgrade the motherboard too, would you still go with the 4790k? Or should I wait and simply replace everything at once?

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, 1llusion said:

I am currently using the MSI H81I. I do intend to upgrade in the future as I will require more expansion space... (yeah I built this machine for completely different tasks than I am using it for now...).
I am not too concerned about gaming, I mainly do music production and the i3 is not cutting it anymore, hence the need for an upgrade.
If I plan in the future to upgrade the motherboard too, would you still go with the 4790k? Or should I wait and simply replace everything at once?

Thanks!

well the 4790k would be a big boost for you, but if you are replacing the motherboard anyway you should probably just wait and upgrade everything for a more even experience. The extra cores that ryzen offers would be useful for media work.

Just now, mok said:

ex if his current motherboard only has 4pin CPU power, wouldnt that limit his CPU even at stock speeds?

well.. i have this acer board:

31fee9eff0.jpg

came as stock with an i7..

3 minutes ago, 1llusion said:

in that case i'd suggest you replace both at once, and potentially go with something that caters more towards the expansion you mentioned as a whole package.

7 minutes ago, 1llusion said:

Yeah, if you are already planning to upgrade the mobo, then waiting to get a newer one with support for newer tech would be a better option.

Not to say that an i7-4790k will hold you back at all, but you will have way more options when you can choose both at once and tailor them to your needs.