Inform new users?

1 minute ago, NumLock21 said:

I hate those too, wait to be approved by a mod. But the minimum post count before you can create a topic is okay I guess. Can't remember which one I visited a while back. Minimum was like 5 or 10 post count before you can start creating a topic. And it was easy, comment in bunch of random threads and viola, create thread achievement unlocked.

It's still stupid. If I have a question I'm not going to want to post 10 comments first. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

It's still stupid. If I have a question I'm not going to want to post 10 comments first. 

i guess it's their way to know if that member is going to stay or not

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

2 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

I hate those too, wait to be approved by a mod. But the minimum post count before you can create a topic is okay I guess. Can't remember which one I visited a while back. Minimum was like 5 or 10 post count before you can start creating a topic. And it was easy, comment in bunch of random threads and viola, create thread achievement unlocked.

I'm assuming you meant "voila"? 

I agree with setting a 5 post minimum unless there can be a way for temporary accounts to be created and deleted after a day or two.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Just now, ARikozuM said:

I'm assuming you meant "voila"? 

I agree with setting a 5 post minimum unless there can be a way for temporary accounts to be created and deleted after a day or two.

never heard of voila. It was some other forum a long time ago.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

3 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

i guess it's their way to know if that member is going to stay or not

2 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

I don't see the problem with one time posters who just want a question answered but don't want to partake in the forum. 

1 minute ago, NumLock21 said:

He meant, the word is "voila" not "viola".

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just now, NumLock21 said:

Instead of "comment in ... and viola" it should be "and voila". Unless you meant the musical instrument...

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Returning to the original topic

• No, we will not enforce a minimum post count before members can start topics - a lot of accounts are created just to ask a question, and to require those members to make other posts just to be able to ask their question is just going to drive them away and/or make them spam to get there. Not happening.
  • We would like to implement some system for helping users to become more engaged and to show them things like quote, report, etc. However, the forum software doesn't have any relevant features, so it's not an easy thing to implement. It is something that we (I) will look into seriously in the future though, subject to time constraints.

HTTP/2 203

31 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

Returning to the original topic

• No, we will not enforce a minimum post count before members can start topics - a lot of accounts are created just to ask a question, and to require those members to make other posts just to be able to ask their question is just going to drive them away and/or make them spam to get there. Not happening.
  • We would like to implement some system for helping users to become more engaged and to show them things like quote, report, etc. However, the forum software doesn't have any relevant features, so it's not an easy thing to implement. It is something that we (I) will look into seriously in the future though, subject to time constraints.

Is there no way to prompt the user with a page that they have to dissmiss upon successfully making an account? Like a TOS page -- I know some forums have that, although I don't recall if they were on IPBoard.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Is there no way to prompt the user with a page that they have to dissmiss upon successfully making an account? Like a TOS page -- I know some forums have that, although I don't recall if they were on IPBoard.

No, but even if there was, I suspect that the click through rate would be exceptionally high - if someone has created an account to post a question, they aren't going to read a tutorial about how to use the site. A successful solution would have to be more seamless than that.

HTTP/2 203

2 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

No, but even if there was, I suspect that the click through rate would be exceptionally high - if someone has created an account to post a question, they aren't going to read a tutorial about how to use the site. A successful solution would have to be more seamless than that.

I was thinking hiding the continue button somewhere in the concluding paragraph or something rather than in a more traditional spot. But it's not an option anyway. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

I was thinking hiding the continue button somewhere in the concluding paragraph or something rather than in a more traditional spot. 

That wouldn't fix it though, it would just annoy people. How many time do you read the terms of service/license agreement for a piece of software, regardless of what tricks they have to make you pretend to read it (such as making your scroll to the bottom)? From your point of view, the guide is far more interesting and useful than ToS, but from a user who is just registering to ask their question, it has the same effect.

Something inline, or after they have posted, would probably be more effective, but the only way to know for sure is to actually try it.

HTTP/2 203

Just now, colonel_mortis said:

That wouldn't fix it though, it would just annoy people. How many time do you read the terms of service/license agreement for a piece of software, regardless of what tricks they have to make you pretend to read it (such as making your scroll to the bottom)? From your point of view, the guide is far more interesting and useful than ToS, but from a user who is just registering to ask their question, it has the same effect.

Something inline, or after they have posted, would probably be more effective, but the only way to know for sure is to actually try it.

If a TOS was short and simple I would probably read it. So in this "guide" I would just make a few bullet points and have a picture or two and put the "agree" button somewhere in the last sentence. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

If a TOS was short and simple I would probably read it. So in this "guide" I would just make a few bullet points and have a picture or two and put the "agree" button somewhere in the last sentence. 

I still think that relatively few of the people who need to would actually read it properly, but there's no built in mechanism for it anyway, so there's nothing that we can do about it at the moment. If I add do end up implementing something, I will do a more thorough test to see what system works well, but that won't happen for a while.

HTTP/2 203

My gaming community has a website where you can sign up and the application has a bunch of questions that are technically optional in order to submit the form but are pretty much required to be answered. We have a pretty high rate of people that just ignore those questions, and this is a site that gets 1/1000 of the traffic of LTT or even less. 

TL;DR Humans are lazy.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz