Tutorial on TS-451

Are there any good tutorials out there on how to set up and use a TS451 (or similar NAS). Mine simply sits on my desk and I'm sure I'm not getting the most out of it simply because I don't have a clue. Everything I've searched on thus far is either way off topic or not a similar enough model for me to gain anything out of it.

Things I'd like to learn about:

1) Setting it up in RAID0, and then later RAID5 as I get HDD's

2) Making it available for use throughout my home (easiest way of accessing it via my media center, via my wife's laptop...etc)

3) A General tutorial - I was expecting to be able to treat it as just another drive through my PC, but so far I've been having to go through the web interface for everything....??

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if this is still relevant but I think I might be able to help you. I have two QNAP Nas at home and I can show you all you need to know.

So let's start by telling me what you've done so far and we'll work from there.

Don't worry, there are no dumb questions here.

On 2017-5-5 at 11:14 AM, Logun said:

Are there any good tutorials out there on how to set up and use a TS451 (or similar NAS). Mine simply sits on my desk and I'm sure I'm not getting the most out of it simply because I don't have a clue. Everything I've searched on thus far is either way off topic or not a similar enough model for me to gain anything out of it.

Things I'd like to learn about:

1) Setting it up in RAID0, and then later RAID5 as I get HDD's

2) Making it available for use throughout my home (easiest way of accessing it via my media center, via my wife's laptop...etc)

3) A General tutorial - I was expecting to be able to treat it as just another drive through my PC, but so far I've been having to go through the web interface for everything....??

Most of this should be pretty intuitive, but there are probably some guides.

I would checkout the user manual, and read through it thoroughly. Not sure if this one applies to your specific model, but it should be pretty similar:

http://docs.qnap.com/nas/4.1/Home/en/index.html?raid_management.htm

For #1, you need to go to the Web UI, go to the storage manager, and through there you can select drives and assign them into RAID or whatever.

For #2, to make the NAS available to computers, you need to map the shared folder.

Generally, the shared folder will have a "syntax" like this:

"\\myserverhostname\sharename"

You can map that share to a drive letter in Windows (So, drive "E:\" for example), and then it's just as accessible as any other drive.

For #3, all SETTINGS AND CONFIGURATION changes will happen via the Web UI. Actually using the NAS, storing files, etc, happens via Windows Explorer.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)