Intel tells Core i7-7700K owners to stop overclocking

Mr.Meerkat
1 minute ago, tom_w141 said:

they should solder the IHS imo.

That's what I corrected. :D They can't solder it http://overclocking.guide/the-truth-about-cpu-soldering/ However, I do agree that saying that you shouldn't overclock a K CPU is bs and laughable

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

z6xe2gbbxtvy.jpg.ad614267ff2a9b6ba2be6a22c3ddeccc.jpg

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

5 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

I thought Intel warranties its K CPUs for overclocking?    That if it dies after being OC'd you can just RMA it for a new CPU.  

FIVR, what's that?

Fully Integrated Voltage Regulator, pretty much Intel integrated VRM directly into Haswell and Broadwell based CPU, thus enabling it to consume a lot less power when idle..

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

On ‎04‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 9:45 PM, porina said:

To quote from the link, an Intel spokesperson is claimed to have said:

I think this is nothing more than generic butt-covering. If Intel were to say "it's fine, do what you want" then when it breaks, they could be liable for that. The stance is nothing more than "you could do it, we don't recommend it, so if you break anything, it is 100% your problem, not ours". That's standard overclocking risks.

Basically pcgamer is trying to blow up a non-event into a story.

hasn't this always been the case? Overclocking is a user choice and officially support and not covered in warranty.  

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

6 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

hasn't this always been the case? Overclocking is a user choice and officially support and not covered in warranty.  

I don't have a problem with overclocking not being covered under warranty, but don't charge a premium for an unlocked chip and a premium for an overclockable chipset and then say "we do not recommend running outside the processor specifications, such as by exceeding processor frequency or voltage specifications". By selling overclockable hardware at a premium they are recommending users to overclock -- although, it could also be argued that with a K sku you also get a higher base-clock and so you're not necessarily paying for the overclockabiliy of it. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

19 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

I thought Intel warranties its K CPUs for overclocking?    That if it dies after being OC'd you can just RMA it for a new CPU.  

The warranty does not cover overclocking, not even for K series CPUs.

In fact, Intel used to sell a special warranty which did cover overclocking. It was called the Performance Tuning Protection Plan.

After looking it up, they still do apparently. 30 dollars for a 7700K.

The thing is though, the manufacturer has no way of checking if you have overclocked your processor or not. So unless you tell them that you overclocked, they will have no way of knowing.

Just now, LAwLz said:

Overclocking does not cover overclocking, not even for K series CPUs.

In fact, Intel used to sell a special warranty which did cover overclocking. It was called the Performance Tuning Protection Plan.

After looking it up, they still do apparently. 30 dollars for a 7700K.

The thing is though, the manufacturer has no way of checking if you have overclocked your processor or not. So unless you tell them that you overclocked, they will have no way of knowing.

I think you mean "The warranty" 

Anyway, maybe things have changed, but my 4790k warranty covers overclocking. It just doesn't cover anything else that's damaged by overclocking. 

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

13 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

I think you mean "The warranty" 

Fixed now. =)

13 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Anyway, maybe things have changed, but my 4790k warranty covers overclocking. It just doesn't cover anything else that's damaged by overclocking. 

Are you 100% sure it does? Got a link?

On 5/6/2017 at 5:02 PM, N1ghtshade said:

And yes, I know this. That doesn't change anything. AM4 is new, meaning it doesn't have as much selection. But the thing is, it most likely still won't be ass supported as LGA socket in a few years just because Intel has such a huge hold on the industry and Ryzen is an up-and-coming platform

Ohhhh I very much doubt it. History proves you wrong: remember Intel's Sandy and Ivy Bridge chipsets? Yeah, those that launched around the time AM3 platform did. They died long time ago, whereas AM3+ got new motherboards released just last year with updated features such as M.2 support, different new types of USB ports, RGB etc...

Why would it be different this time? LGA1151 is not a new platform as it is already, only to make it even more in favor of AM4. And this time, APUs and Athlons will also be on AM4, so that's nice too.

Remember that Ryzen 3 and the cheapest AM4 chipset weren't released yet too.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

On 04/05/2017 at 10:18 PM, Prysin said:

Over time, as you heat it up fast (going from zero to max load) you get heat spikes. As this heat travels extremely quickly through the metal, it suddenly causes the cooler to kick in and increase its cooling. Thus causing microfractures. Tiny nanometer and micrometer long cracks. Over time, the metal essentially becomes like a fractured windshield, molecularly. This wastly reduces the heat transfer capability over time, causing higher average heat, and much greater deterioration of the internals of the CPU. Eventually the CPU dies.

A great example of this is the infamous YLOD and RROD :P 

Edit: As in the solder fracturing, not how heat transfer capability is reduced. 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

27 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Ohhhh I very much doubt it. History proves you wrong: remember Intel's Sandy and Ivy Bridge chipsets? Yeah, those that launched around the time AM3 platform did. They died long time ago, whereas AM3+ got new motherboards released just last year with updated features such as M.2 support, different new types of USB ports, RGB etc...

Why would it be different this time? LGA1151 is not a new platform as it is already, only to make it even more in favor of AM4. And this time, APUs and Athlons will also be on AM4, so that's nice too.

The only reason AM3+ continued to get new boards was because there was no other high end AMD platform.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 hour ago, djdwosk97 said:

The only reason AM3+ continued to get new boards was because there was no other high end AMD platform.

Noone said that it won't be the case this time as well, that AM4 won't get a few next upgraded generations of Ryzen like AM3 did...

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

1 hour ago, Morgan MLGman said:

remember Intel's Sandy and Ivy Bridge chipsets? Yeah, those that launched around the time AM3 platform did.

Eh... I don't know or care about what your conversation is about but I just want to inform everyone that:

AM3 = released in 2009.

LGA 1155 (Z68) = Released in 2011.

LGA 1155 (Z78) = Released in 2012.

So you're off by 2-3 years.

26 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Eh... I don't know or care about what your conversation is about but I just want to inform everyone that:

AM3 = released in 2009.

LGA 1155 (Z68) = Released in 2011.

LGA 1155 (Z78) = Released in 2012.

So you're off by 2-3 years.

I meant the AM3+, sorry, forgot to add the '+'. I wrote it correctly the next time I mentioned it in the post though.

1 hour ago, Morgan MLGman said:

I meant the AM3+, sorry, forgot to add the '+'. I wrote it correctly the next time I mentioned it in the post though.

AM3+ was mainly introduced to fix the bugs found in AM3 as well as add compatibility for the Bulldozer line (which my Aunt is luckily enough to not see, her PC is based around a 3GHz Phenom II X4 from before AM3+ and only has dust issues every month.) Think of it as a proper refresh.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

5 hours ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Like what @djdwosk97 said, AM3+ only got new mobos cause it was the only high end AMD CPU option.

The newness of the platform isn't what i'm referring to here, although it does have some effect on the end result. I'm saying AM4 is not gonna have as much options as stuff like LGA1151 because of how much of a stranglehold Intel has on the market.

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

Just now, N1ghtshade said:

Like what @djdwosk97 said, AM3+ only got new mobos cause it was the only high end AMD CPU option.

The newness of the platform isn't what i'm referring to here, although it does have some effect on the end result. I'm saying AM4 is not gonna have as much options as stuff like LGA1151 because of how much of a stranglehold Intel has on the market.

But does it really matter? There are already a plethora of AM4 motherboards. The only thing we're missing is mITX boards. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

10 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

The 9590 was a special binned CPU for OCers.  That was the market they were aiming for.  But, they didn't sell like hotcakes because they had found binned lower 8xxx CPUs to tinker with instead.

Eh, even still that's ridiculous. Although I really can't complain about AMD, Intel thinks they deserve $1700 for a CPU that is only slightly faster than a Ryzen 7 for 3x the cost

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

But does it really matter? There are already a plethora of AM4 motherboards. The only thing we're missing is mITX boards. 

In the grand scheme of things, no, not that much. But my point was that AM4 doesn't have much options for things like coolers and mobos. And yeah, that's only one thing, but what if I want to do a compact Ryzen build? Then i'm SOL unless more mITX AM4 mobos come out soon

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

Just now, N1ghtshade said:

In the grand scheme of things, no, not that much. But my point was that AM4 doesn't have much options for things like coolers and mobos. And yeah, that's only one thing, but what if I want to do a compact Ryzen build? Then i'm SOL unless more mITX AM4 mobos come out soon

I'm sure we'll get some mITX boards shortly. In the grand scheme of things there are already a ton of boards, just look at PCPP and compare the number of Z170 or Z270 boards (since a lot of Z270 boards are basically refreshes of the Z170 version) to the number of B350+X370 boards, there really aren't that many boards for Intel. And didn't most of the good coolers offer AM4 mounting hardware as well?  

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

54 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Prices get jacked in enthusiast markets.

As always

1 hour ago, djdwosk97 said:

I'm sure we'll get some mITX boards shortly. In the grand scheme of things there are already a ton of boards, just look at PCPP and compare the number of Z170 or Z270 boards (since a lot of Z270 boards are basically refreshes of the Z170 version) to the number of B350+X370 boards, there really aren't that many boards for Intel. And didn't most of the good coolers offer AM4 mounting hardware as well?  

Hopefully yes. I'd love to see some soon. And no no haha what I meant was that in the grand scheme of things it didn't matter that much :P And some did, but not all.

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/6/2017 at 7:07 PM, djdwosk97 said:

I'm still hoping that they cut the cost of a 7740k dramatically compared to a 7700k and make up the profit difference on the more expensive X199 chipset -- that way they encourage users to get on the HEDT platform (where they'll hopefully upgrade to a better X199 chip) while not affecting Intel's bottom line too much. Although the more interesting now is that the 8700k is rumored to be a 6c/12t chip....so it'll be interesting to see how that plays out. 

We all live in hope that Intel starts pricing their products at reasonable levels, I am not holding my breath though

Bulk thermal paste was bought by Intel confirmed. 

|EVGA 850 P2| |1440p PG279Q| |X570 Aorus Extreme| |Ryzen 9 3950x WC| |FE 2080Ti WC|TridentZ Neo 64GB| |Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB x3

|Logitech G900|K70 Cherry MX Speed|  |Logitech Z906 |  |HD650|  |CaseLabs SMA8 (one of the last ones made)

On 5/4/2017 at 4:06 PM, Prysin said:

soldering reduces maximum lifespan. Dont believe me? Read up on soldering.

Total bullshit. 

Yo soy el hombre murciélago