Intel tells Core i7-7700K owners to stop overclocking

Mr.Meerkat

In our internal investigation, we did not observe temperature variation outside of the expected behavior and recommended specifications.

We do not recommend running outside the processor specifications, such as by exceeding processor frequency or voltage specifications, or removing of the integrated heat spreader (sometimes called 'de-lidding'). These actions will void the processor warranty. - Intel

Intel basically shrugged off the temperature spikes as being normal, and telling them to run their unlocked CPUs at stock settings rubs salt in the wound. -PCG

Hmmmm...what can I say? Some people are going to be a tad pissed as they spent more money just to OC? On the bright side they have addressed the poor thermal perf of Kabylake CPUs...by making some people really pissed off xD 

Anyway, I don't think this will affect intel too much so...meh I guess? 

source: http://www.pcgamer.com/intels-tells-core-i7-7700k-owners-to-stop-overclocking-to-avoid-high-temps/?

Edit: Fuck, I'm 2 mins late :/ 

Second edit: Maybe not, looks like someone hasn't been following guidelines :P 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

To quote from the link, an Intel spokesperson is claimed to have said:

We do not recommend running outside the processor specifications, such as by exceeding processor frequency or voltage specifications, or removing of the integrated heat spreader (sometimes called 'de-lidding'). These actions will void the processor warranty.

I think this is nothing more than generic butt-covering. If Intel were to say "it's fine, do what you want" then when it breaks, they could be liable for that. The stance is nothing more than "you could do it, we don't recommend it, so if you break anything, it is 100% your problem, not ours". That's standard overclocking risks.

Basically pcgamer is trying to blow up a non-event into a story.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

2 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I'll just say it because someone else will: Intel, stop using crappy TIM underneath the IHS and solder the damn thing to the processor.

Supposedly it can't be soldered due to the size as it would cause the die to crack. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

This too retarded to even bother properly responding to...........

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Just now, XCalinX said:

With the Ryzen 1700 costing pretty much the same, the 7700k is dead to me anyway.

Why? That makes no sense. "Oh I have product X, which performs function A well but not function B. But Product Y performs function B well, but not function A, so Product Y is dead to me."

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

Supposedly it can't be soldered due to the size as it would cause the die to crack. 

I doubt that it couldn't be soldered but the TIM currently being used is supposed to be more reliable which is beneficial to Intel.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

On 5/4/2017 at 1:41 PM, Mr.Meerkat said:

Hmmmm...what can I say? Some people are going to be a tad pissed as they spent more money just to OC? On the bright side they have addressed the poor thermal perf of Kabylake CPUs...by making some people really pissed off xD 

Anyway, I don't think this will affect intel too much so...meh I guess? 

source: http://www.pcgamer.com/intels-tells-core-i7-7700k-owners-to-stop-overclocking-to-avoid-high-temps/?

Edit: Fuck, I'm 2 mins late :/ 

Second edit: Maybe not, looks like someone hasn't been following guidelines :P 

Intel: "Buy our K series CPUs, and Z/X series mobos so you can overclock!"

Consumer: "Sounds cool, I just bought both. I'm gonna give it a light OC to make it run faster"

Intel: "WAIT NO DON'T DO THAT EVEN THOUGH THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT YOU BOUGHT IT FOR YOU'RE GONNA KILL IT M8"

GG Intel, you're officially fucking retarded

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

5 minutes ago, N1ghtshade said:

Why? That makes no sense. "Oh I have product X, which performs function A well but not function B. But Product Y performs function B well, but not function A, so Product Y is dead to me."

But.. Ryzen is GOOD for gaming.

so it's this:

Product 1 can do A really well, and B good enough for 99% of people.

Product 2 can do B really well, and is bad for B.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

10 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I'll just say it because someone else will: Intel, stop using crappy TIM underneath the IHS and solder the damn thing to the processor.

The Kaby Lake TIM is basically the paste you used at school when you were 5 to make shitty macaroni art.

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

1 minute ago, RadiatingLight said:

But.. Ryzen is GOOD for gaming.

so it's this:

Ryzen is decent for gaming, 7700k is better

7700k is decent for productivity stuff, Ryzen is better

it's more like this

Product 1 does A really well, and does B decently also

Product 2 does B really well, and does A decently also

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

8 minutes ago, N1ghtshade said:

Then a UNLOCKED CPU doesnt make any sense either

You buy an unlocked cpu for 1 thing and 1 thing only .... OVERCLOCKING 

Edit, NVM i just read youre other posts

Let's agree to disagree

Just now, N1ghtshade said:

Ryzen is decent for gaming, 7700k is better

7700k is decent for productivity stuff, Ryzen is better

it's more like this

Product 1 does A really well, and does B decently also

Product 2 does B really well, and does A decently also

you can't actualy tell me that a 7700K can edit videos and stream nearly as well as Ryzen 7

but Ryzen 7 can game nearly as well as a 7700K

TBH a 1600X would be a better comparison, as it's cheaper, but is higher clocked so it's good for games.

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

Just now, MrTiC said:

???

Where did you get all this from, I was responding to the guy who said that the 7700k was dead to him because of Ryzen

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

1 minute ago, MrTiC said:

technically the K skus have higher base clocks and boost clocks too

Desktop:

Laptop:

5 minutes ago, N1ghtshade said:

Becausse with Product X (Ryzen 1700) you can just overclock it to 4ghz or however high you can get it and call it a day while still having your warranty in tact

But with Product Y (7700k) your warranty is voided just by overclocking their unlocked CPU, then if you don't want terrible thermal performance, you need to buy a delidder ($20-$30), liquid metal ($10), knowledge on how to delid and relid or seat in the socket wihtout shifting the cpu. Then you have a faster processor just for gaming. At which point, it doesn't make much sense unless you know how to do all of the above and are willing to do so from the start. For non-enthusiasts and just gamers in general, the 7700k is pretty much equivalent in buying power to the 1700 with a small performance hit, but for less money. It's basically a trade off between the two processors, where one is bought over the other in the above scenario.

2 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

Product 1 is A for Good and not B

Product 2 is B and not A but A squared

Just now, RadiatingLight said:

you can't actualy tell me that a 7700K can edit videos and stream nearly as well as Ryzen 7

but Ryzen 7 can game nearly as well as a 7700K

TBH a 1600X would be a better comparison, as it's cheaper, but is higher clocked so it's good for games.

No, I cannot. You are correct in that regard. Ryzen is much better for video editing and streaming.

And you can't actually tell me a Ryzen 7 can game nearly as well. 7700k has fewer faster cores. Only in a few cases like BF1 will Ryzen perform the same/better

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

Just now, Organized said:

Product 1 is A for Good and not B

Product 2 is B and not A but A squared

What did I just read

That made no sense

1 minute ago, mattebad said:

Becausse with Product X (Ryzen 1700) you can just overclock it to 4ghz or however high you can get it and call it a day while still having your warranty in tact

But with Product Y (7700k) your warranty is voided just by overclocking their unlocked CPU, then if you don't want terrible thermal performance, you need to buy a delidder ($20-$30), liquid metal ($10), knowledge on how to delid and relid or seat in the socket wihtout shifting the cpu. Then you have a faster processor just for gaming. At which point, it doesn't make much sense unless you know how to do all of the above and are willing to do so from the start. For non-enthusiasts and just gamers in general, the 7700k is pretty much equivalent in buying power to the 1700 with a small performance hit, but for less money. It's basically a trade off between the two processors, where one is bought over the other in the above scenario.

And you can get good thermal performance on a 7700k, you just need a good cooler. And you don't need a delidder. Delidding is very risky, and not worth it imho.

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

Just now, N1ghtshade said:

What did I just read

That made no sense

Then you passed the test.

3 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

technically the K skus have higher base clocks and boost clocks too

True, but i aint gonna pay 10% more for a 1% clock increase 

Let's agree to disagree

Just now, MrTiC said:

True, but i aint gonna pay 10% more for a 1% clock increase 

I suppose it'd be good if you had a non Z/X mobo and wanted a little frequency bump without OC'ing. And K isn't too much more expensive. But still, you're right tbh. If you're not gonna OC, it makes no sense to buy a K CPU

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

24 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

soldering reduces maximum lifespan. Dont believe me? Read up on soldering.