Xeon x5650 help.

Excuse me if this is gonna sound stupid but I'm thinking of buying an X5650 and want to clear a few things up. 

First off, are they overclockable (via bclk) with an X58 board? From what I've seen online they are but just want to be sure. 

Secondly, do they work with regular DDR3 ram or do I need server style? Again, from what I've seen online, they do but just want to be sure. 

And thirdly, would an HX620 be enough to power one? (I assume it would work but, again, just want to be sure). 

Thanks. 

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

Advocate for used/older hardware. Also one of the resident petrol heads. 

1.No

2.Regular is fine but check with the Mobo

3.yes

My life

Just now, Himommies said:

1.No

3.yes

hmm, thought they had unlocked multipliers... 

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

Just now, ImadKnight said:

hmm, thought they had unlocked multipliers... 

I don't think there's a single unlocked xeon

My life

1 minute ago, Himommies said:

I don't think there's a single unlocked xeon

From what I can tell, they aren't unlocked fully, BCLK is what is unlocked, so theoretically you just bump up the stock clock from its 133mhz speed to around 200 and you have a 4ghz hex core:D

http://hwbot.org/hardware/processor/xeon_x5650/

6 minutes ago, Himommies said:

1.No

3.yes

From someone who uses an x5650

1. Yes

2. Depends on the motherboard

3. Yes

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!

1 minute ago, ImadKnight said:

From what I can tell, they aren't unlocked fully, BCLK is what is unlocked, so theoretically you just bump up the stock clock from its 133mhz speed to around 200 and you have a 4ghz hex core:D

Bclk is pretty unstable woudn't reccomend.Like a .2mhz boost woudn't be noticable

My life

2 minutes ago, ImadKnight said:

I was about to say the same thing.  The unlock is limited.  For stability sake, I'd stick with the ECC if you do bump it up.....but not required.

Just now, Ashiella said:

1. Yes

3. Yes

Is the overclocking BCLK a thing with older xeons. how the hell do you have a stable PC

My life

yes you can overclock them. i am running mine on 4.05ghz and with 6 sticks of average ram. it can go higher but my ram will crap out beyond that.

ECC is stupid, it only slows down memory, especially on gaming systems it is beyond useless.

Is the overclocking BCLK a thing with older xeons. how the hell do you have a stable PC

older LGA1366 CPUs. 

older LGA1366 CPUs. 

Huh didn't know that

My life

1 minute ago, Ashiella said:

1. Yes

3. Yes

Just now, the dutch guy said:

yes you can overclock them. i am running mine on 4.05ghz and with 6 sticks of average ram. it can go higher but my ram will crap out beyond that.

aha thanks guys. Glad to also get some input from owners. Anything I should know before I get one?

Yes, BCLK only, I have mine at 185 when its normal at 133 but it's more dependent on the motherboard being capable of the heat. Lol and it's stable like any other overclock, but when you to the unstable area it's way more iffy.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

older LGA1366 CPUs. 

damn, you for beating me again. :dry:  but, yes, look to the older LGA1366 socket XEONs

Just now, Doramius said:

damn, you for beating me again. :dry:  but, yes, look to the older LGA1366 socket XEONs

sorry fam :P. (and it also worked for the i7 9xx CPUs). 

1 minute ago, Ashiella said:

Yes, BCLK only, I have mine at 185 when its normal at 133 but it's more dependent on the motherboard being capable of the heat. Lol and it's stable like any other overclock, but when you to the unstable area it's way more iffy.

ah ok. I think the board I have should be good. 

aha thanks guys. Glad to also get some input from owners. Anything I should know before I get one?

As I said, you do not have to have ECC memory for this, but it will hold the system more stable.  As someone else stated, the RAM and behave erratically from the increase.  However, there is reduction in speeds with ECC memory.  So you gotta weigh your options.

Not much, it's like any other CPU. Pm one of us if you need any help, at least I will be fine to assist with any issue so you may have. I have had one issue with the evga sli 3 And the asus saber tooth saying that it's ddr2 and that only 2gb are detected by programs like GeForce experience, even though all is usable.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Spoiler

sorry fam :P. (and it also worked for the i7 9xx CPUs). 

ah ok. I think the board I have should be good. 

From my experience up to 1.4125v is safe, probably more but I haven't tested further.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Spoiler

I appreciate that everyone who responded for the most part was very informative and helpful. I've been a lot of places on the web where if you mention using older xeons (which are still perfectly good depending on the application) you get linched.

Nod to 

@Ashiella

@Himommies

@Doramius

⬇ - PC specs down below - ⬇

The Impossibox

CPU: (x2) Xeon X5690 12c/24t (6c/12t per cpu)

Motherboard: EVGA Super Record 2 (SR-2)

RAM: 48Gb (12x4gb) server DDR3 ECC

GPU: MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB

Case: Modded Lian-LI PC-08

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500Gb and a 2Tb HDD

PSU: 1000W something or other I forget

Display(s): 24" Acer G246HL

Cooling: (x2) Corsair H100i v2

Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 LUX RGB MX Browns

Mouse: Logitech G600

Headphones: Sennheiser HD558

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Folding info so I don't lose it: 

WhisperingKnickers

Join us on the x58 page it is awesome!

x58 Fan Page

2 minutes ago, Doramius said:

As I said, you do not have to have ECC memory for this, but it will hold the system more stable.  As someone else stated, the RAM and behave erratically from the increase.  However, there is reduction in speeds with ECC memory.  So you gotta weigh your options.

I think I'll just go with regular RAM for now. The overclocking will be more for fun than anything else to be honest. 

Just now, Ashiella said:

From my experience up to 1.4125v is safe, probably more but I haven't tested further.

I'll keep that in mind, and probably stick below 1.4v. 

4 minutes ago, Ashiella said:

Not much, it's like any other CPU. Pm one of us if you need any help, at least I will be fine to assist with any issue so you may have. I have had one issue with the evga sli 3 And the asus saber tooth saying that it's ddr2 and that only 2gb are detected by programs like GeForce experience, even though all is usable.

Thanks, and will do. Planning to run AMD so that probs won't be a problem. 

don't go above 1.35. anything above that will degrade the cpu and give almost no real gains above that voltage, unless you need a space heater...

just cap it at 1.35 and see how far you can push it on that voltage.

ps: also lap your cpu! the 1366 series are more crooked then a politician. it can easly shave off 20c if you have a decent cooler. DO NOT DELID!

Just now, WhisperingKnickers said:

I appreciate that everyone who responded for the most part was very informative and helpful. I've been a lot of places on the web where if you mention using older xeons (which are still perfectly good depending on the application) you get linched.

Nod to 

@Ashiella

@Himommies

@Doramius

I agree, and that's why I like this forum so much. Everyone that responded has been very helpful and nice. Also why the hate to old xeons, they seem like great CPUs? 

1 minute ago, the dutch guy said:

don't go above 1.35. anything above that will degrade the cpu and give almost no real gains above that voltage, unless you need a space heater...

just cap it at 1.35 and see how far you can push it on that voltage.

Ok, thanks. Il try to keep it as safe and stable as possible. 

1 minute ago, ImadKnight said:

I agree, and that's why I like this forum so much. Everyone that responded has been very helpful and nice. Also why the hate to old xeons, they seem like great CPUs?

Yeah I have had that same experience, I really like it here. I'm not sure why there is so much hate, right now I'm building a dual x5690 build and I received some hate for it. But really why? For what I'm going to use it for 3.4Ghz with 12 cores and 24 threads is going to be perfect and I saved a lot of money doing it. I don't think I can overclock with the board I have but I don't really mind.

⬇ - PC specs down below - ⬇

The Impossibox

CPU: (x2) Xeon X5690 12c/24t (6c/12t per cpu)

Motherboard: EVGA Super Record 2 (SR-2)

RAM: 48Gb (12x4gb) server DDR3 ECC

GPU: MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB

Case: Modded Lian-LI PC-08

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500Gb and a 2Tb HDD

PSU: 1000W something or other I forget

Display(s): 24" Acer G246HL

Cooling: (x2) Corsair H100i v2

Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 LUX RGB MX Browns

Mouse: Logitech G600

Headphones: Sennheiser HD558

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Folding info so I don't lose it: 

WhisperingKnickers

Join us on the x58 page it is awesome!

x58 Fan Page

old xeons are great. i bought my asus P6T7 supercomputer back in 2008 with a 920 and only upgraded the cpu to a 6 core xeon wich i got from ebay for 100 euro or so and with some overclocking can still kick the ass of a lot of current i5 and i7's from today.