Is there a better 7.1 soundcard than Sennheiser GSX 1000?

workstationguy

I have Sennheiser hd 598 and I want a decent sound card for gamming and movie. The audio quality from this headphone is already good for music but I need virtualization for gaming as well. And I just came across this product. Is there a better soundcard than this on market? If not I will buy this card.

1 minute ago, workstationguy said:

I have Sennheiser hd 598 and I want a decent sound card for gamming and movie. The audio quality from this headphone is already good for music but I need virtualization for gaming as well. And I just came across this product. Is there a better soundcard than this on market? If not I will buy this card.

First off. You don't need a sound card for gaming. Second off. this is an external amp not a sound card. for getting good quality music you can get better sound from a soundcard/amp/dac but not use for gaming. and with 598s (though great headphones) aren't good enough in sound quality to constitute buying a $200 amp for them 

I didn't know Sennheiser had such a product. There must be too much money in meaningless gaming peripherals for Sennheiser to not be in that business.

But to answer the question.

If you really feel like you need virtual surround sound, then try Razer Surround first. 

It's free and it'll probably as good a solution as a dedicated brick-on-a-desk from Sennheiser. 

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

Good stereo > virtualisation.

Virtualisation is gimmicky and imo doesn't improve your ability to tell where a sound is coming from.

Virtual barber shop is the perfect example. You don't need virtualisation to be able to place where the sound is coming from.

The same is true of games.

The only reason to buy an amp/DAC/soundcard is if your headphones don't get loud enough or your onboard audio sucks.

Those headphones will not see much benefit from a soundcard unless your onboard audio can't drive them.

if there is a better soundcard(USB amp) out there better than sennheiser GSX 1000? simple answer is A LOT.

i totally agree that good stereo > virtualisation.

But Sound is about personal preference, whatever i says good doesnt automatically apply to the others. Better try it your self, go to the really big audio store where you can try an AMP or soundcard, and bring your Sennheiser hd 598 and see which one you like.

• 5 months later...

An old topic, I know. But I really wanted to chime in here. No there is currently nothing better than the gsx 1000. Or even close to it in terms of virtual surround. It's technology is pretty damn new. That's thanks to Sennheisers new Bi-naural rendering engine.

Also wanted to bring up what others posted. Stereo IS better than poor virtual surround. But throwing together top tier headphones with the gsx is better than stereo in everyway.

For those of you who haven't  tried it out yet, check out hardwarecanucks test of the hardware to get an idea what it's like.

It really is next gen sound rendering.

3 hours ago, IrishNoodles said:

An old topic, I know. But I really wanted to chime in here. No there is currently nothing better than the gsx 1000. Or even close to it in terms of virtual surround. It's technology is pretty damn new. That's thanks to Sennheisers new Bi-naural rendering engine.

Also wanted to bring up what others posted. Stereo IS better than poor virtual surround. But throwing together top tier headphones with the gsx is better than stereo in everyway.

For those of you who haven't  tried it out yet, check out hardwarecanucks test of the hardware to get an idea what it's like.

It really is next gen sound rendering.

it sounds fake as fuck, it isn't even funny, you can hear the whole tonality get this very very artificial sound to it, it is nasty.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

4 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

it sounds fake as fuck, it isn't even funny, you can hear the whole tonality get this very very artificial sound to it, it is nasty.

Because it is fake. It simulates surround sound better than any sound card out there. Key word there being 'simulates'. It's really quite impressive. A buddy of mine has one. What it does to the sound stage is remarkable, it really does expand it and give a CRAZY sense of bi-naural audio awareness. Just purchased it this morning, can't wait til it gets here.

Unfortunately there's no direct competitor right now, so the price is quite high.

1 hour ago, IrishNoodles said:

Because it is fake. It simulates surround sound better than any sound card out there. Key word there being 'simulates'. It's really quite impressive. A buddy of mine has one. What it does to the sound stage is remarkable, it really does expand it and give a CRAZY sense of bi-naural audio awareness. Just purchased it this morning, can't wait til it gets here.

Unfortunately there's no direct competitor right now, so the price is quite high.

I could NEVER get myself buy that, even when it runs normal stereo it is at best meh.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

30 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

I could NEVER get myself buy that, even when it runs normal stereo it is at best meh.

Virtual surround is not for everyone. But to knock it before you try it is just silly. As there's nothing else like it on the market. Innovation breeds success. I have an oculus rift and I would describe this technology akin to VR. It's that good.

6 minutes ago, IrishNoodles said:

Virtual surround is not for everyone. But to knock it before you try it is just silly. As there's nothing else like it on the market. Innovation breeds success. I have an oculus rift and I would describe this technology akin to VR. It's that good.

I have tried it. It sounds like ass utter ass, it fucks up the audio quality a lot and even if you run it with no virtual thing selected then it still doesn't really sound that good compared to other stuff you can get. 

Just now, Dackzy said:

I have tried it. It sounds like ass utter ass, it fucks up the audio quality a lot and even if you run it with no virtual thing selected then it still doesn't really sound that good compared to other stuff you can get. 

Interesting, must be a defective unit or perhaps the headphones used were sub par? It's an amplifier. The sound is fantastic, I witnessed great highs and suprisingly punchy lows even when using an open back headset.

43 minutes ago, IrishNoodles said:

Interesting, must be a defective unit or perhaps the headphones used were sub par? It's an amplifier. The sound is fantastic, I witnessed great highs and suprisingly punchy lows even when using an open back headset.

really? No the headphones were not sub-par, not even close. It was tested with HD 600, HD 800, K612 and HE 560, which I think everyone can agree on that they aren't sub-par, 3 of which I either own right now or have owned and no the unit was not faulty since they just tested it before giving it to me. "They" is the store that loaned it to me for testing, it was one among 3 and they all sounded the same.

it is also not just an amp, if it was just an amp then it would just amplify an analog signal, but this also makes a digital signal into an analog one, meaning it has a DAC and amp in it, meaning it is a DAC and amp combo. And no an amp is not just an amp and a DAC is not just a DAC. The detail level of it is meh at best and it sounds kinda compressed. I would take a fulla 2 over it or a monoprice desktop amp (the MDA is a combo even though the name just says amp), hell it cost 225$ or something like that, you can get a schiit modi 2 and magni 3 for that price which is miles better, sure they lack virtual surround.

Also if there isn't a mic then it is called headphones, not a headset.

If you want 7.1 sure go for it, but it isn't going to compete with other options in this price range when it comes to normal stereo

13 hours ago, Dackzy said:

really? No the headphones were not sub-par, not even close. It was tested with HD 600, HD 800, K612 and HE 560, which I think everyone can agree on that they aren't sub-par, 3 of which I either own right now or have owned and no the unit was not faulty since they just tested it before giving it to me. "They" is the store that loaned it to me for testing, it was one among 3 and they all sounded the same.

it is also not just an amp, if it was just an amp then it would just amplify an analog signal, but this also makes a digital signal into an analog one, meaning it has a DAC and amp in it, meaning it is a DAC and amp combo. And no an amp is not just an amp and a DAC is not just a DAC. The detail level of it is meh at best and it sounds kinda compressed. I would take a fulla 2 over it or a monoprice desktop amp (the MDA is a combo even though the name just says amp), hell it cost 225$ or something like that, you can get a schiit modi 2 and magni 3 for that price which is miles better, sure they lack virtual surround.

Also if there isn't a mic then it is called headphones, not a headset.

If you want 7.1 sure go for it, but it isn't going to compete with other options in this price range when it comes to normal stereo

I think you miss understood what I was saying. I know it's not JUST an amplifier. I know what the device is. But there clearly was something wrong with your device, as I heard no compression. Was very clear and I could hear plenty of mid range details. You kinda seem like you're bickering a little bit lol. I'm already married I don't need another wife thanks.

I'm aware it's not going to compete with a $300+ amp/dac. I never said it would. But o answer the OP it's as close to true surround as it's ever gotten before. Hence whyits the best sound card on the market. 

8 hours ago, IrishNoodles said:

I think you miss understood what I was saying. I know it's not JUST an amplifier. I know what the device is. But there clearly was something wrong with your device, as I heard no compression. Was very clear and I could hear plenty of mid range details. You kinda seem like you're bickering a little bit lol. I'm already married I don't need another wife thanks.

I'm aware it's not going to compete with a $300+ amp/dac. I never said it would. But o answer the OP it's as close to true surround as it's ever gotten before. Hence whyits the best sound card on the market. 

oh stop it. Stop that bad device BS, that is just something you say to defend your purchase, 3 units are not going to be defective they came straight from them have been tested by Sennheiser and the store and then later by me.

What devices have you actually tested? Anything can be great if that is the only thing you have heard.

Also I did never compare it to $300+ amps and DACs, I compared it to two 100$ DAC and amp combos (which both beats it) and then a 100$ amp with a 100$ DAC

10 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

oh stop it. Stop that bad device BS, that is just something you say to defend your purchase, 3 units are not going to be defective they came straight from them have been tested by Sennheiser and the store and then later by me.

What devices have you actually tested? Anything can be great if that is the only thing you have heard.

Also I did never compare it to $300+ amps and DACs, I compared it to two 100$ DAC and amp combos (which both beats it) and then a 100$ amp with a 100$ DAC

Whoa whoa calm down son. Stop getting triggered. You're the one changing the topic. I was just tryna answer the OP's question with facts.

Just now, IrishNoodles said:

Whoa whoa calm down son. Stop getting triggered. You're the one changing the topic. I was just tryna answer the OP's question with facts.

I am not being triggered in any way, I just want to get thigs straight and sure if OP wants virtual surround that sounds fake and doesn't mind getting a DAC and amp that sounds compressed with little detail compared to other offerings and basically just offer bad value, then get it.

34 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

I am not being triggered in any way, I just want to get thigs straight and sure if OP wants virtual surround that sounds fake and doesn't mind getting a DAC and amp that sounds compressed with little detail compared to other offerings and basically just offer bad value, then get it.

So what sound card would you suggest? because the consensus on the internets is that the GSX is the best sound card, that doesn't have that tinny bathroom reverb effect.

Just now, IrishNoodles said:

So what sound card would you suggest? because the consensus on the internets is that the GSX is the best sound card, that doesn't have that tinny bathroom reverb effect.

I don't recommend getting any soundcard, it is a waste of money unless you cannot live without that virtual surround sound. I would recommend getting one of the things I have mentioned since that will give you better normal stereo and they all have a wider sound than your standard onboard, which is going to help you pin point things. I do know that some games even have some form of virtual surround sound.

1 hour ago, Dackzy said:

I don't recommend getting any soundcard, it is a waste of money unless you cannot live without that virtual surround sound. I would recommend getting one of the things I have mentioned since that will give you better normal stereo and they all have a wider sound than your standard onboard, which is going to help you pin point things. I do know that some games even have some form of virtual surround sound.

Okay, I see where you're coming from. But virtual surround when done well can give excitement or an extra wow factor to a game that is perhaps gone a bit stale. At least imo it's very enjoyable. 

39 minutes ago, IrishNoodles said:

Okay, I see where you're coming from. But virtual surround when done well can give excitement or an extra wow factor to a game that is perhaps gone a bit stale. At least imo it's very enjoyable. 

and again it sounds very very artificial to me, but it is good that you enjoy it.

• 4 months later...

Dackzy, you do realize that the gsx 1000 is only rated for headphones with 150 ohms max right? Cuz the hp's you have listed are all over 300 ohms. 

On 5/4/2017 at 10:03 AM, Volbet said:

I didn't know Sennheiser had such a product. There must be too much money in meaningless gaming peripherals for Sennheiser to not be in that business.

But to answer the question.

If you really feel like you need virtual surround sound, then try Razer Surround first. 

It's free and it'll probably as good a solution as a dedicated brick-on-a-desk from Sennheiser. 

razer surround isnt that great of virtual surround imho

there are many algorithms out there that do fine, I havent had the experience of sennhiesers but I prefer sbx

1 hour ago, dabears46d said:

Dackzy, you do realize that the gsx 1000 is only rated for headphones with 150 ohms max right? Cuz the hp's you have listed are all over 300 ohms. 

@Dackzy I'm eagerly awaiting your science lesson to be unleashed.

7 hours ago, dabears46d said:

giphy.gif 

Will wait for @Dackzy, but from my experience, ohm is not the absolute factor that  determines the power you need to drive the headphones. Fostex T50rp mk3 are really fucking hard to drive for example and they are 50 ohms. You will get the idea once you drop into the pit of headphones :P

Cpu R5 1600 @3.7ghz - MB Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 - RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GBx2 @3000mhz - GPU Palit GTX 1070ti Dual - Storage Kingston FuryX 120GB SSD, WD 500GB Green HDD, Seagate 1TB HDD - PSU Seasonic X650 - Case Sharkoon S25-W - Display Zowie XL2411 - Peripherals Filco Ninja Browns, Zowie FK2 & Qck Hyperbeast Ed.