PROJECT SCORPIO WILL HAVE A FPS COUNTER ON THE FRONT

Lilninjsways

It is only right and fair, do the right thing

Listen, no one is going to buy what's promised to be the most powerful gaming console ever created to not know the frame rate of each game in real time. What would be more comforting than to be able to look at your console while playing and see a nice, round “60” staring back at you to let you know your money wasn't wasted?

Nothing, that's what. I want a solid, concrete way to know the console is doing what I want it to do at all times. I need that sweet, sweet gratification of knowing games look and run better on my console of choice when compared to my past console or the competition. Which is why I want that front-facing OLED display from the development kit on the retail hardware, and I won't hear a word otherwise.

We've known about the screen's existence for a while, although its function seemed to be speculative.

“The kit sports a real-time clock and battery backup, as well as an OLED screen with navigation button on the front of the box and five programmable buttons,” a Gamasutra story about the development kit stated. “This seems like a small but meaningful quality-of-life improvement for devs: if you're working with Scorpio dev kits, you should be able to set them up to display useful data like, says, frames per second, at a glance.”

And now we get to see an idea of what the screen will look like in action, and it's super sexy.

Scorpio dev kit, kinda sexy no? #ProjectScorpiopic.twitter.com/o1FLT6Siv8

— Jez Corden (@JezCorden) May 3, 2017

If this system is aimed — at least in part — at the sort of PC gamer who has looked down their nose at consoles in the past, this would be a great selling point. The screen would be the sort of data overload certain PC gamers love to see in order to feel secure in their purchases, to make sure they are always exceeding their minimum requirements for performance and speed.

I'm not the only person to think so.

@JezCorden Please keep the display with the fps. That's fantastic.

— Serg ♏️ (@Mocas360) May 3, 2017

@JezCorden I want that display on the final release

— julio77it ♏ (@WindhelmFolk) May 3, 2017

@JezCorden *whispers* Can I get a Scorpio SKU with the front screen still there displaying realtime game FPS/resolution or other optional info? plzmsft

— Phil ✈️ (@LtRoyalShrimp) May 3, 2017

You would be able to tell the Xbox Scorpio was worth the money because there are the numbers right there. You could also maybe program the screen to say other things, like “Sony? More like BALONEY!” and then give you a high-five on Twitter.

Sure, adding an OLED screen to the retail system may add a bit to the cost, but that's what we're here for. We want to get the best, and we want to know we got the best. That's the whole point of Scorpio. And it's not like other devices haven't added OLED screens to give the user more information. Look at the latest Macbooks, for example.

I don't want to have to argue about how games feel or how it's all about having “fun” and “enjoying yourself with friends and family” when it comes to games. I want the strong, pleasing embrace of hard data. Nothing else will do.

Microsoft, make this happen.

i.jpg

MY MAIN BUILD AT FATHERS HOUSE!

Spoiler

CPU: AMD FX-8300 3.3GHz 8-Core Processor CPU COOLER:  Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard

RAM: 32gb ddr3

Hard Drive:  Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Graphics Card:  MSI Radeon RX 470 DirectX 12 Radeon RX 470 ARMOR 4G OC 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Case: Rosewill TYRFING ATX Mid Tower Case

Network Adapter:  TP-Link TL-WN781ND PCI-Express x1 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter

Case Fans:  Corsair Air Series AF140 Quiet Edition 67.8 CFM 140mm Fan (PLUS THE STOCK CASE FAN)

Monitor:  Asus VG248QE 24.0" 1920x1080 144Hz Monitor

Keyboard:  Thermaltake CHALLENGER PRIME Wired Gaming Keyboard

Mouse:  MSI Interceptor DS B1 Wired Optical Mouse

Speakers: Logitech Z200 0W 2ch Speakers

If the final product looks like that it'll be badass! I might buy one hope it doesn't cost too much... although if games aren't interesting then maybe not...

1. Fix your formatting. It's absolutely horrendous.

2. That's a dev kit. Just because the dev kit has something does not mean that the real one will so please stop with the all caps click bait.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

Also if you bought a console, you pretty much are in a camp that probably cares little about the technical aspects of gaming. If you really want 60 FPS all the time at 1080p or 4K or whatever, you'd buy a PC.

8 minutes ago, RotoCoreOne said:

If the final product looks like that it'll be badass! I might buy one hope it doesn't cost too much... although if games aren't interesting then maybe not...

they rumour around 600 usd

Spoiler

CPU: AMD FX-8300 3.3GHz 8-Core Processor CPU COOLER:  Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

Graphics Card:  MSI Radeon RX 470 DirectX 12 Radeon RX 470 ARMOR 4G OC 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Case Fans:  Corsair Air Series AF140 Quiet Edition 67.8 CFM 140mm Fan (PLUS THE STOCK CASE FAN)

9 minutes ago, Stevoisboss said:

title is slightly misleading :(

sorry bout that :(

Spoiler

Isn't that the dev unit? And at any rate, it'd also need to show the minimums at the same time as the average (because if those are bad, then the average framerate means fuck all).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

@Lilninjsways Please ensure your thread follows the posting guidelines of the Tech News and Reviews Section, as of currently the thread has been moved until those requirements are met. 

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/11724-posting-guidelines-read-before-posting/

• Your thread must include some original input to tell the reader why it is relevant to them, and what your personal opinion on the topic is.
  • Your thread must include a link to at least one reputable source. Most of the time, this should be a respected news site.
  • Your thread should also include quotes from the cited source(s). While you shouldn't just copy the entire article, your quote should give the reader a summary of the article in a way that gives the key details, but also leaves room for them to read the full article on the linked website. Please use quote tags (the speech bubble at the top of the editor, under the  :)) to show that you have copied this content from another site.
  • The title of your thread must be relevant to the topic and should give a reader a good idea of the contents of the thread. Copying the title of the source is permitted but absolutely not required.
  • If your article is about a product or some form of media, images are always appreciated, although they are not required.

On 5/3/2017 at 4:48 PM, Lilninjsways said:

It is only right and fair, do the right thing

Listen, no one is going to buy what's promised to be the most powerful gaming console ever created to not know the frame rate of each game in real time. What would be more comforting than to be able to look at your console while playing and see a nice, round “60” staring back at you to let you know your money wasn't wasted?

Nothing, that's what. I want a solid, concrete way to know the console is doing what I want it to do at all times. I need that sweet, sweet gratification of knowing games look and run better on my console of choice when compared to my past console or the competition. Which is why I want that front-facing OLED display from the development kit on the retail hardware, and I won't hear a word otherwise.

We've known about the screen's existence for a while, although its function seemed to be speculative.

“The kit sports a real-time clock and battery backup, as well as an OLED screen with navigation button on the front of the box and five programmable buttons,” a Gamasutra story about the development kit stated. “This seems like a small but meaningful quality-of-life improvement for devs: if you're working with Scorpio dev kits, you should be able to set them up to display useful data like, says, frames per second, at a glance.”

And now we get to see an idea of what the screen will look like in action, and it's super sexy.

Scorpio dev kit, kinda sexy no? #ProjectScorpiopic.twitter.com/o1FLT6Siv8

— Jez Corden (@JezCorden) May 3, 2017

If this system is aimed — at least in part — at the sort of PC gamer who has looked down their nose at consoles in the past, this would be a great selling point. The screen would be the sort of data overload certain PC gamers love to see in order to feel secure in their purchases, to make sure they are always exceeding their minimum requirements for performance and speed.

I'm not the only person to think so.

@JezCorden Please keep the display with the fps. That's fantastic.

— Serg ♏️ (@Mocas360) May 3, 2017

@JezCorden I want that display on the final release

— julio77it ♏ (@WindhelmFolk) May 3, 2017

@JezCorden *whispers* Can I get a Scorpio SKU with the front screen still there displaying realtime game FPS/resolution or other optional info? plzmsft

— Phil ✈️ (@LtRoyalShrimp) May 3, 2017

You would be able to tell the Xbox Scorpio was worth the money because there are the numbers right there. You could also maybe program the screen to say other things, like “Sony? More like BALONEY!” and then give you a high-five on Twitter.

Sure, adding an OLED screen to the retail system may add a bit to the cost, but that's what we're here for. We want to get the best, and we want to know we got the best. That's the whole point of Scorpio. And it's not like other devices haven't added OLED screens to give the user more information. Look at the latest Macbooks, for example.

I don't want to have to argue about how games feel or how it's all about having “fun” and “enjoying yourself with friends and family” when it comes to games. I want the strong, pleasing embrace of hard data. Nothing else will do.

Microsoft, make this happen.

Im sorry but you wont get 60fps. It literally says the console has 6 tf of computing power and uses polaris chips. Guess what i have? An overclocked 480. Guess what its "computing power" is. 6.5 tf. And can you guess whether or not i get a solid 60fps in 4k maxed settings?

And that sony comment. MS fanboys lmao. Sony's console may not be as good as the scorpio, but NO ONE will buy a shitty rebrand of the xbox if there are no games on it, which, spoiler alert, there arent. 

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200