My First 45drives NAS

My first post on LTT Forums, so hi everyone!

So my build starts here, got my first batch of WD RED 8TB going into my 45drives enclosure.

This will supplement my other two NAS builds which are getting a bit old, Server 1 is roughly 120TB and Server 2 is about 40TB, the are both based on the Lian-Li PC-V2100 PLUS II in black, really nice cases for a NAS in my opinion.

Hopefully this new build will reach just over 200TB of usable space.

18297043_10154524090092393_781146053_o.jpg

Red drives they only rate for 8 drive enclosures :)

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

1 minute ago, Spork829 said:

Welcome to the forum! What on earth do you need all this space for?

I concur. What do you need all this space for? I mean I'd get that much if I could also. 

Spoiler

i7-6700k OC'd 4.5Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1070 SC

31 minutes ago, Spork829 said:

Welcome to the forum! What on earth do you need all this space for?

Cat videos or gifs

OAS || AAS || LLS

22 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Red drives they only rate for 8 drive enclosures :)

This is true, but the system is write once, read occasionally. The drive loading is quite low and drive vibration shouldn't be an issue.

I looked at the ironwolf drives, but the extra power draw, noise and increased rpm on the ironwolf pushed me to the REDs

Regarding what the storage is used for, various things.

Nextcloud is one example, got it setup for friends and family.

I've been into storage for years now, going back to roughly 1999. Some people like having 4 Titan Xp, I like storage :)

Just now, Superspeed07 said:

Cat videos or gifs

Linux distros...

40 minutes ago, GreasyGaming said:

Linux distros...

I'm kinda curious who has the biggest collection of actual linux distros that are bookable. I'm only at around 200 gb. 

have a look on /r/DataHoarder/ probably someone there with a few TB of linux distros

Thanks to FedEx failing to deliver my storinator, I'm currently sat with HDDs on my desk and empty rails in the rack.

I'm like a kid at Christmas, why is time moving so slowly!

It has arrived, up and running in no time.

I need to get an inline fan controller to slow the fans down, wow they are loud and move a lot of air!

1.jpg

Just out of curiosity what software and raid levels do you use to run this server? ZFS/Storage Spaces/hardware or something else?

5 x 9drive Rz2 (8TB) on the 45drives (freenas)

Other two run a risky JBOD setup in windows, will move them to freenas shortly though as I'm moving all data onto the 45drives so i can service and upgrade the other two boxes.

My second batch of wd red arrived today, one was unfortunately DOA

Never had a drive that is DOA before.

Had two faulty drives from new now.

One DOA another had much louder head searching than the others.

10% arrival faulty rate on these, hope they are reliable going forward.

On that note does anyone else run full hard drive tests on new drives when you get them.

Its always been something I have run on all new drives before putting them into use. Both desktop and server drives.

Its been surprising how many have lower than expected SMART readings out of the box. (Which I normally RA straight away).

I don't give them a full sector test as to be honest I am too impatient.

First thing is listen to them spinup and initialise, then if I have purchased more than one, I deploy them into a zfs array and write to them for a few hours, then scrub the data and then decide if I want to return any.

I've been purchasing HDD since the late 90's and I've only had two drives arrive faulty, these two from recently.

Everything else has survived a fair lifespan from installation. I still have PATA HDDs that work from 2001.

I've only had catastrophic loss from a few drives in that time, I recently had a 2tb Barracuda die suddenly, it is a 7 year old drive, so it has lasted well IMO.

3 hours ago, GreasyGaming said:

I don't give them a full sector test as to be honest I am too impatient.

First thing is listen to them spinup and initialise, then if I have purchased more than one, I deploy them into a zfs array and write to them for a few hours, then scrub the data and then decide if I want to return any.

I've been purchasing HDD since the late 90's and I've only had two drives arrive faulty, these two from recently.

Everything else has survived a fair lifespan from installation. I still have PATA HDDs that work from 2001.

I've only had catastrophic loss from a few drives in that time, I recently had a 2tb Barracuda die suddenly, it is a 7 year old drive, so it has lasted well IMO.

Well in a perfect scenario you order sets of drives from different vendors in hopes of getting different production batches to avoid multiple bad disks. Nobody does that I'm aware of however.

I wonder how close the serial numbers are between your dead disks? Not sure if there are batch numbers etc.. written on them but would be interesting.

The only dead disks I've had are one I knocked off a 7 foot bookshelf and a SSD I killed with a SQL database. I've also been buying disks since the late 90s, but that was 1 a year or as need vs now... lol.

Had one fail in service overnight.

That is three failures from 10 drives

28 MAR 2017 must have been a bad day on the production line for the WD RED 8Tb drives!

I'm starting to think is RaidZ2 enough redundancy!

26 minutes ago, GreasyGaming said:

I'm starting to think is RaidZ2 enough redundancy!

For those drives definately go with Raid-Z3

too risky if parity calculation fail.

Main;Ryzen 2700X, ASROCK X370 KillerSLI,48GB DDR4 2933Mhz, Sapphire 5700XT Pulse,CM SilentPro M2 720W+Fractal Core 3000, Philips 346P1CRH
Server1: Atermiter X99,Intel Xeon E5-2650LV3 12core,56GB DDR4 RDIMM 2133Mhz
Denon AVC-A11XV|UDM-PRO|Zyxel XGS1930-28

I want to know what the speeds are

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Expanded up to 27 x 8Tb drives now

That should do for a little while :)