Can companies get it together with naming?

Saw this on Hexus and thought it was funny and horrible on the naming...  

http://hexus.net/tech/news/graphics/105250-evga-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-sc2-gaming-hybrid-icx-introduced/

5adeb373-4cf0-45ff-ba2f-f81623a722fb.jpg.8c4097adab5eaf324a760a31207d1640.jpg

I mean the only thing on this shot that is not a part of the product name is the 'water cooled perfection'.  Otherwise, I think that this might be trying to compete for the longest named GPU on the market... Love that there are 4 or 5 trademark logos on the graphic here for the name.xD

Still doesn't compete with Nvidia... Titan, Titan Black, Titan Z, Titan X. Titan XP, Titan Xp....

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

1 minute ago, Orangeator said:

Still doesn't compete with Nvidia... Titan X. Titan XP, Titan Xp....

There was no Titan XP to begin with. 

Just Titan X Pascal and then Titan Xp.

Stop being special. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

3 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

There was no Titan XP to begin with. 

Just Titan X Pascal and then Titan Xp.

Stop being special. 

There was a Titan X, a Titan X, then the Xp... Every person on earth called the second Titan X the Titan XP due to it being the Pascal version of the Titan X. So not being special.

43 minutes ago, Orangeator said:

There was a Titan X, a Titan X, then the Xp... Every person on earth called the second Titan X the Titan XP due to it being the Pascal version of the Titan X. So not being special.

Some tools decided to call the Titan X Pascal the Titan XP. That is the definition of being special.

Nvidia did not call the Titan X Pascal the Titan XP so there was no reason too. 

The difference between the Titan X Maxwell and Titan X Pascal was obvious enough imo. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

I've been saying for awhile now that nVidia should just call it Titan 20__ and update the year as needed. In general, hardware product names are dumb and overly complicated. 

Corsair K70

VS.

Cooler Master Masterkeys Pro S RGB tenkeyless mechanical gaming keyboard with Cherry MX Brown switches

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

1 hour ago, DildorTheDecent said:

The difference between the Titan X Maxwell and Titan X Pascal was obvious enough imo. 

Please enlighten me. What was the big difference when just saying the name? The day the new Titan X was released everybody had to add extra words or letters to the name because it was the successor to the brilliantly named Titan X. At the time and currently, there are two totally different GPU's with the EXACT SAME NAME.

3 hours ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Corsair K70

K70 LUX RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard — Cherry MX RGB Brown (via Corsair website)

I used to be quite active here.

I honestly don't see what the problem is. It describes the video card just fine:

• GeForce GTX 1080 Ti - What GPU it uses
  • SC2 - SuperClocked version 2. At the very least it means it has a factory overclock
  • Hybrid - Uses water cooling
  • With iCX - It uses whatever marketing name EVGA came up with for their overall cooling solution

If EVGA sold their entire GTX 1080 Ti SKU lineup as "EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti", then you would have people asking a zillion questions what the difference between the half dozen "GeForce GTX 1080 Ti's from EVGA" are.

Once again, I am going to leave this here:

Entry-level X800 SE, X800, X800 GT
Mid-range X800 GTO, X800 PRO, X800 XL, X850 PRO
High-end X800 XT, X850 XT
Enthusiast X800 XT PE, X850 XT 

Notice that they have both AGP and PCIe versions as well.

Also Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980Ti Xtreme Gaming Waterforce Edition comes to mind.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Was really confused at a listing on Staples a while back, was thinking they were still selling 1st gen iPads at full price.

iPad

iPad 2

The New iPad

iPad 4

iPad Air

iPad Air 2

iPad Pro

iPad Pro 9.7

iPad 

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

2 hours ago, Orangeator said:

Still doesn't compete with Nvidia... Titan, Titan Black, Titan Z, Titan X. Titan XP, Titan Xp....

Well, I mean, even Apple has nVidia beat here: The New iPad 2017 WiFi + 4G 128GB Rose Gold. Or my personal favorite: Apple Watch Edition White Ceramic 42mm Case with Cloud Sport Band. Not to mention all Apple products from the same product line (iPad, MacBook, MBP, MBPr, iMac, etc.) are packaged in boxes that look IDENTICAL among all SKUs, so having worked retail selling these things I can tell you it was absolute HELL making sure you had the right box.

Now, I'm not asking for giant lettering on every single SKU'd item, since that would raise packaging costs a lot, and never be as efficient as making a generic box with a sticker on it. But for the LOVE of my sanity, there is no reason they can't print MACBOOK PRO RETINA on the outside of ALL MBPr boxes, just so we don't get them confused with the MBP, MB, and MBA boxes.

Same goes for the iPad boxes - when you walk into a storage room and see a wall of white boxes all the same size, how do you quickly know what box contains the iPad Air 2 WiFi + 4G 128GB model? You don't! You get to sort through rows and rows of boxes that could contain one of the following iPads:

• iPad 4 WiFi
  • iPad 4 WiFi + 4G
  • iPad Air WiFi
  • iPad Air WiFi + 4G
  • iPad Air 2 WiFi
  • iPad Air 2 WiFi + 4G

Then multiply each category by 2, 3, or 4, depending on color options for each generation, and then by 2, 3, or 4 AGAIN depending on capacities. Color and capacity aside, there is no reason they couldn't have at least denoted the iPad GENERATION in big letters on the outside of each box, and then put the nitty details on the SKU sticker. Ugh.

2 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Sounds like they wired the guy that used to work at Microsoft coming up with the name.

Windows XP 64-bit Professional with Media Center 2005 Live for Human Edition Plus! With XBox Live

I wrote a comment on reddit similar to your amazingly named version of Windows a while back specifically for the iPad lineup:

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

15 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

K70 LUX RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard — Cherry MX RGB Brown (via Corsair website)

OK, fine. You proved my point.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

2 hours ago, DildorTheDecent said:

Some tools decided to call the Titan X Pascal the Titan XP. That is the definition of being special.

Nvidia did not call the Titan X Pascal the Titan XP so there was no reason too. 

It wasn't about the difference in performance. It was about differentiating it in conversation. "Titan X Pascal" can be easily shortened to "Titan XP," and it would make sense when you have a video card with essentially the same name, but with capitalized letters that represents another version of the product. 

After the Titan XP situation, we also started calling Titan X Maxwell "Titan XM." And I shall continue doing that.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

The one I like the most is Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10 [:

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

3 hours ago, Orangeator said:

There was a Titan X, a Titan X,

We have a Titan Black that's gray and a Titan X that's black :P

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

3 hours ago, Orangeator said:

THROWBACK
PrTwRxv.png

and yes, I made that a couple months before the Titan X was announced.

The original Titan X.
I can predict the future, fight me

I make bad life decisions.

10 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I honestly don't see what the problem is. It describes the video card just fine:

• GeForce GTX 1080 Ti - What GPU it uses
  • SC2 - SuperClocked version 2. At the very least it means it has a factory overclock
  • Hybrid - Uses water cooling
  • With iCX - It uses whatever marketing name EVGA came up with for their overall cooling solution

If EVGA sold their entire GTX 1080 Ti SKU lineup as "EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti", then you would have people asking a zillion questions what the difference between the half dozen "GeForce GTX 1080 Ti's from EVGA" are.

I guess my biggest problem with most of this is that it's beginning to feel like the companies are adding more words to describe their products in order to increase the price they charge you...  If you look at EVGAs site, they offer seven different versions of the 'GeForce GTX 1080Ti' ranging from a Founders Edition at $700.00 to this Hybrid Edition of the Superclocked 2 Gaming at $810.00.  It just seems kind of crazy all the different little things they tack on between each 'edition' of a 1080Ti which then apparently ups the price of the card between $10.00 and $30.00 per an edition.  

As an example in EVGAs case, if you compare the EVGA GeForce GTX 1080Ti SC Black Edition Gaming with iCX Cooler & LED to the EVGA GeForce GTX 1080Ti SC2 Gaming with iCX Technology & RGB LED, the main difference I can see for $30.00 is that the SC2 has the 9 iCX sensors, the LEDs are RGB and there is a difference in coloring on the cards, otherwise all of the actual hardware specs. Of course you can also currently buy the EVGA GeForce GTX 1080Ti SC2 Elite Gaming with iCX Technology & RGB LED for a $25.00 Rebated Price of $744.99 or $5.00 less than the non-Elite Gaming card.

Just now, WMGroomAK said:

I guess my biggest problem with most of this is that it's beginning to feel like the companies are adding more words to describe their products in order to increase the price they charge you...  If you look at EVGAs site, they offer seven different versions of the 'GeForce GTX 1080Ti' ranging from a Founders Edition at $700.00 to this Hybrid Edition of the Superclocked 2 Gaming at $810.00.  It just seems kind of crazy all the different little things they tack on between each 'edition' of a 1080Ti which then apparently ups the price of the card between $10.00 and $30.00 per an edition.  

The hybrid edition comes with a water cooler. That has to account for some thing. And factory overclocking requires a little more work in the QA department. You could've easily saved yourself the $30 or whatever for that and hope the Silicon Gods are favorable to you and overclock it yourself (assuming you can get the custom cooler without an overclock).

As an example in EVGAs case, if you compare the EVGA GeForce GTX 1080Ti SC Black Edition Gaming with iCX Cooler & LED to the EVGA GeForce GTX 1080Ti SC2 Gaming with iCX Technology & RGB LED, the main difference I can see for $30.00 is that the SC2 has the 9 iCX sensors, the LEDs are RGB and there is a difference in coloring on the cards, otherwise all of the actual hardware specs. Of course you can also currently buy the EVGA GeForce GTX 1080Ti SC2 Elite Gaming with iCX Technology & RGB LED for a $25.00 Rebated Price of $744.99 or $5.00 less than the non-Elite Gaming card.

That $30 is paying that poor software developer and electrical engineer who had to put in a silly little feature that a majority of the PC gaming market thinks is cool.

Most of the PC gaming market is filled with nonsensical crap that ultimately does zero for performance. But it's what sells for some dumb reason.

7 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Most of the PC gaming market is filled with nonsensical crap that ultimately does zero for performance. But it's what sells for some dumb reason.

And this is a part of my biggest issue with the whole naming...  EVGA lists zero performance difference between the SC Black Edition Gaming, the SC2 Gaming and the SC2 Elite Gaming so why even have a SC and an SC2 label?  Then you have the FTW3 label, which provides a 13 Mhz gain on the base and boost over the SC/SC2 cards. Personally, I'm not going to bother with any of these as my system runs fine as it is, but I would like to see some more sense in the naming and cutting back on a lot of the nonsensical crap.

And this is a part of my biggest issue with the whole naming...  EVGA lists zero performance difference between the SC Black Edition Gaming, the SC2 Gaming and the SC2 Elite Gaming so why even have a SC and an SC2 label?  Then you have the FTW3 label, which provides a 13 Mhz gain on the base and boost over the SC/SC2 cards. Personally, I'm not going to bother with any of these as my system runs fine as it is, but I would like to see some more sense in the naming and cutting back on a lot of the nonsensical crap.

FTW usually includes more power phases, allowing for better overclocking that you can do on your own. But otherwise yeah.

I just zoom in on the clock speed and ignore everything else.