Gaming/PC Glasses?

Aleksbgbg

I spend quite a hefty amount of my time in front of a computer screen, as I'm sure anyone in a first country does, gamer or not. Be it iPad, iPhone, a different type of phone, or whatnot else.

I've noticed that things (like signs and the board in school) seem a bit blurry from a distance I was able to see before, and I'm not sure whether that's just me being tired at the back of the class, or because I'm typing school work 6 hours a day, plus.

Either way, I figured it might be good to get and try some of those computer screen glasses that everyone's on about, but I have absolutely no knowledge in this field. I want to get a good pair, and not just any cheap old ones.

Do you guys have any recommendations? I've heard that some Gunnar models are good. Price range is less than £150.

||| Drakon (Desktop Build) |||

|| CPU: 3800X || Cooler: Kraken X63 || Motherboard: B450 Aorus M || Memory: HyperX DDR4-3200MHz 16G ||

|| Storage: 512GB 970 Pro + 500GB 850 EVO + 250GB 850 EVO + 1TB HDD + 2TB HDD || Graphics Card: RX 5700 XT Red Devil || Case: Thermaltake Core V21 || PSU: XFX XTR 750W 80+Gold || 

never heard of these, sounds like snake oil

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

1 minute ago, DnFx91 said:

never heard of these, sounds like snake oil

I was thinking the same thing, but I'm not sure, maybe worth a try.

|| CPU: 3800X || Cooler: Kraken X63 || Motherboard: B450 Aorus M || Memory: HyperX DDR4-3200MHz 16G ||

|| Storage: 512GB 970 Pro + 500GB 850 EVO + 250GB 850 EVO + 1TB HDD + 2TB HDD || Graphics Card: RX 5700 XT Red Devil || Case: Thermaltake Core V21 || PSU: XFX XTR 750W 80+Gold || 

Just now, Aleksbgbg said:

I was thinking the same thing, but I'm not sure, maybe worth a try.

not at $60 lol, better off just going for a smoke whenever your eyes hurt 

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Maybe your screen has a night time mode? Just nice to check before you get those Gunnar glasses

Just now, MrAwesomepants said:

Maybe your screen has a night time mode? Just nice to check before you get those Gunnar glasses

It does and I use it on all my screens and electronics.

You mean like Gunnar and such? I find these snake oil at best. Fix your monitor's settings and your environment before looking at something that claims to fix all of this for you. These things like:

• Making sure your monitor isn't blindingly bright (my monitors are all set to about 30/100 brightness)
  • Making sure you're not sitting in a pitch black room all the time
  • If you need a "low blue light" thing, there are apps for that and Windows 10 Creator's Update added that feature
  • You could always look away at something else for a few minutes to prevent eye fatigue

I mean, I don't know what else these glasses could do that magically help.

3 minutes ago, Aleksbgbg said:

Snip

I have no idea if this is what you're looking for or whatever, but WAN show just advertised computer glasses in their show this week, perhaps this is what you're looking for?

9 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

You mean like Gunnar and such? I find these snake oil at best. Fix your monitor's settings and your environment before looking at something that claims to fix all of this for you. These things like:

• Making sure your monitor isn't blindingly bright (my monitors are all set to about 30/100 brightness)
  • If you need a "low blue light" thing, there are apps for that and Windows 10 Creator's Update added that feature
  • You could always look away at something else for a few minutes to prevent eye fatigue

Normally the are made to filter out most of the blue part of the color spectrum to reduce eye fatigue. Which can be achieved in other ways. ( Software, screen profiles etc.) As you mention

Just now, NoobCase said:

Normally the are made to filter out most of the blue part of the color spectrum to reduce eye fatigue. Which can be achieved in other ways. ( Software, screen profiles etc.)

Which is why I question them. What can they do that you can't by adjusting your environment?

Otherwise you're just paying $60+ for a piece of yellow plastic.

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Which is why I question them. What can they do that you can't by adjusting your environment?

Otherwise you're just paying $60+ for a piece of yellow plastic.

You. Not really questioning what you are saying. Guess it's a convenience thing

3 minutes ago, NoobCase said:

Not really questioning what you are saying. Guess it's a convenience thing

I know :P

I think I also heard at one time it helps to keep your eyes from drying out because the proximity of the lenses creates a pocket of humidity. Or some BS. On one hand sure, I wear glasses and don't really feel my eyes drying out. On the other hand... I don't wear my glasses unless I'm going out because I don't need them to see (they're more preventative than corrective, or so I was told) and my eyes are just fine.

9 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I know :P

I think I also heard at one time it helps to keep your eyes from drying out because the proximity of the lenses creates a pocket of humidity. Or some BS. On one hand sure, I wear glasses and don't really feel my eyes drying out. On the other hand... I don't wear my glasses unless I'm going out because I don't need them to see (they're more preventative than corrective, or so I was told) and my eyes are just fine.

don't know what magic glasses helps keep your eyes from drying out, but lots of people do use "computer glasses" to help their eyes and say they work. luke said someone on the team uses them all the time there.

10 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Apps like f.lux and the Windows 10 mode are great in a pinch, but they don't always work as advertised on every panel.

They're not really snake oil. They do work. Big benefit to computer glasses are that they're decoupled from your machine so which specific panel you're working with is irrelevant even if it does stupid stuff and you don't need to worry about flipping settings on and off to see truecolour.

That being said, they're not for everybody. They're far more expensive than software options, and in most cases work about as well.

If you're somebody like an editor who needs to sit in front of a machine all the time, but still frequently needs to check colour accuracy, then they can be useful. For gamers who want to save the .1% performance hit from something like f.lux they can be useful. In the vast majority of cases they're overkill.

I wear glasses full time these days, and mine have a coating that reflects a small amount of blue light to counteract screens. It definitely reduces eye strain, and I feel much more comfortable working at my PC for long periods.

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

2 hours ago, Sniperfox47 said:

Apps like f.lux and the Windows 10 mode are great in a pinch, but they don't always work as advertised on every panel.

They're not really snake oil. They do work. Big benefit to computer glasses are that they're decoupled from your machine so which specific panel you're working with is irrelevant even if it does stupid stuff and you don't need to worry about flipping settings on and off to see truecolour.

That being said, they're not for everybody. They're far more expensive than software options, and in most cases work about as well.

If you're somebody like an editor who needs to sit in front of a machine all the time, but still frequently needs to check colour accuracy, then they can be useful. For gamers who want to save the .1% performance hit from something like f.lux they can be useful. In the vast majority of cases they're overkill.

I was trying to understand how gunnars are snake oil... They're Rx certified which means you can get them in a prescription to have other issues with your eyes sorted... I was going to get a pair but I hate wearing glasses so I didn't bother myself with the glasses. People calling them snake oil is like calling sun glasses snake oil.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

Yeah. I wish people would stop using the term snake oil like that. Light reduction glasses definitely work and they definitely help.

Especially if you're color sensitive or photo sensitive like a friend of mine. She wears what are essentially Gunnar lenses all the time because otherwise she can't read white paper.

All these do is filter out blue light. So not much. its mostly bullshit. 

Personal build >  New-ish AMD main gaming setup           

PLEASE QUOTE OR @ ME FOR A RESPONSE xD 

11 minutes ago, XenosTech said:

I was trying to understand how gunnars are snake oil... They're Rx certified which means you can get them in a prescription to have other issues with your eyes sorted... I was going to get a pair but I hate wearing glasses so I didn't bother myself with the glasses. People calling them snake oil is like calling sun glasses snake oil.

To be fair there can be a great deal of difference between sunglasses and sunglasse. Take for example polarized sunglasses they do a lot more then just darkened glass sun glasses 

I owned a pair of gunnars and they pretty much collected dust. They do their job, they help with eye strain and its most noticeable when you take them off. I wear glasses day to day so swapping glasses just seemed bothersome. I think the orange tinted ones are easily replaced with software like "Night-Mode". I would consider getting some of the non-tinted ones if I decided to get Lasik one day.

You get the same effect with amber tinted gun glasses or safety glasses

I've covered this issue previously, so here's the short and curly of it:

Gaming glasses are snake oil.

If you spend lots of time in front of a PC, pay your local optician a visit, even if your vision is perfect. You can get a solid, medical recommendation for filtered lenses (0 dioptre, just the filters), you can then pick frames that you like and have a medically approved pair of eyeware for a fraction of the cost of a pair of "gaming" glasses.

I've been wearing glasses for about 18 years now and a pair of self-tinting filtered glasses (with the appropriate dioptre) are just under the price of the cheapest Gunnars I can get (and most of the price is due to the fairly special lenses I need, due to my advanced miopy). Current pair I'm using daily is about 5 or 6 years old and the only problem with them is the aging joints

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

This fully just sounds like you need actual glasses if things are blurry at a distance. As the above said, just go to the opticians and get checked out properly. I hadn't been to the opticians for a while and noticed things had started to get blurry at a distance... It was like night and day - couldn't believe the difference once I actually got glasses as it's like I can now see in to the future.

If things are blurry to you, be it from the time you wake up or after a couple hours, just go see an optometrist to know for sure you don't need actual prescription glasses.

If you've never gone to an eye exam before because "you can see just fine" that could be the result of your eye muscles straining themselves for years to allow you to see "correctly" but with age, suddenly they are no longer able to strain as much, making you lose focus, get blurry vision, etc...

You should get checked ASAP because there IS a risk of losing your vision entirely from that. Don't believe the scams you may hear online that says bullshit like "After I stopped wearing my glasses, my vision improved so much I now have a 20/20 vision!"

Because there's NO way for your eyes to "heal" by themselves, ever. Their eyes are just being strained and they will end up going blind in a few years. When you need glasses, it's because your eyes are literally not "shaped" right, this is why people need glasses. Your eyes can't suddenly change shape and become "normal".(not including Presbyopia, which comes at an older age for nearly everyone)

As for Gunnars, they are snake oil, nothing your computer can't do by itself through programs like F.lux or SunsetScreen(better than f.lux as it also allow Brightness control), there's also a built-in "Night Mode" in Windows 10 now as well to help reduce Blue Light.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I don't know much about them, but I do know people who use them.  *Crappy clickbait TypicalGamer.  I watched a few of his videos but most of them suck because they have such a fake fake storyline that he pretends to do, which makes it seem like a bad animation compared to a proper gaming video, which most people want.