$100 headphones, any suggestions??

lolpwnd31
Go to solution Solved by kokakolia,
9 hours ago, lolpwnd31 said:

Sennheiser HD 558s are going for $100 nearby me should I just bite the bullet

YES! Do it! 

These headphones are simply awesome. You can't go wrong. 

I listen to a lot of electronic music.

I've been looking at the ATH-M40x but reviews say that they're sort of flat and although they're super clear some might find the bass to be lacking. :( 

Most of the other options seem out of reach. I've looked at the Sennheiser Momentum 2 (on-ear) as well but it seems like the same thing, plus it's ~$20 over my budget. Unfortunately I think it's the only high quality headphone(s???) available near me.

Even though I listen to electronic music, it's mostly like (VVVVVV) where detail matters. I want to hear every single aspect of the song, but at the same time, I don't want the bass to be weak, nor do I want it to smack me in my face. I just want something with a little punch in the bass, and where I can hear all the detail. I can't find anything that fits that in my budget :( 

Any suggestions? ;-;

50 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

598Cs from amazon?

Looks cool but it's $20 more. I could probably get it but my funding is mostly from birthday money and allowance lol

1 minute ago, Nimrodor said:

Used DT770's will run you ~$100. Great subbass, super comfortable, very detailed, highs can get sharp. 

Will consider, thanks!!

I did more research and people's opinions about the bass seem to vary, some find it excessive, some find it lacking. I can't decide ;-;

I would go for DT770, extremely fun headphones especially for EDM.. Although doesn't include detachable cable, it's still a great headphone..

I also advice if possible to try them out first before getting any of the headphones in a local nearby seller, quite sure they will be on display. If it's not possible, try z-reviews sound demo, not the best solution but atleast you have an idea on what the sounds are like..

Cpu R5 1600 @3.7ghz - MB Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 - RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GBx2 @3000mhz - GPU Palit GTX 1070ti Dual - Storage Kingston FuryX 120GB SSD, WD 500GB Green HDD, Seagate 1TB HDD - PSU Seasonic X650 - Case Sharkoon S25-W - Display Zowie XL2411 - Peripherals Filco Ninja Browns, Zowie FK2 & Qck Hyperbeast Ed.

16 hours ago, nicobombai said:

I would go for DT770, extremely fun headphones especially for EDM.. Although doesn't include detachable cable, it's still a great headphone..

I also advice if possible to try them out first before getting any of the headphones in a local nearby seller, quite sure they will be on display. If it's not possible, try z-reviews sound demo, not the best solution but atleast you have an idea on what the sounds are like..

I live in a pretty small town, I looked up the model on Best Buy and they don't have it in stock, so I'm guessing there's none on display...

2 hours ago, lolpwnd31 said:

I live in a pretty small town, I looked up the model on Best Buy and they don't have it in stock, so I'm guessing there's none on display...

Then go for the second option i mentioned, go to z-reviews on youtube, listen to the sound demo, so you get atleast an idea on what they sound like. The reviews are not credible, but the sound demos are okay..

Cpu R5 1600 @3.7ghz - MB Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 - RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GBx2 @3000mhz - GPU Palit GTX 1070ti Dual - Storage Kingston FuryX 120GB SSD, WD 500GB Green HDD, Seagate 1TB HDD - PSU Seasonic X650 - Case Sharkoon S25-W - Display Zowie XL2411 - Peripherals Filco Ninja Browns, Zowie FK2 & Qck Hyperbeast Ed.

I looked at the sound demos for the ATH-M40X and the Sennheiser HD 558. The Sennheiser seemed more rich while the ATH-M40X sounded a bit more tinny. Is this because of the way he recorded the audio?

1 hour ago, lolpwnd31 said:

I looked at the sound demos for the ATH-M40X and the Sennheiser HD 558. The Sennheiser seemed more rich while the ATH-M40X sounded a bit more tinny. Is this because of the way he recorded the audio?

Nah! He records every headphone the same way. 

The Sennheiser 558 sounds kinda "thick" & "warm" actually. 

The M40x is closer to a "flat" sound profile. 

4 minutes ago, kokakolia said:

Nah! He records every headphone the same way. 

The Sennheiser 558 sounds kinda "thick" & "warm" actually. 

The M40x is closer to a "flat" sound profile. 

Ok

9 hours ago, lolpwnd31 said:

YES! Do it! 

11 hours ago, kokakolia said:

YES! Do it! 

Did it, these things are awesome

I expected it to sound thin, but not at all. I tested it with a song I specifically knew was bass heavy and it blew me away.

Some songs do sound a bit odd though. Most songs transferred fine but songs by Billain sound a little muffled. I'm probably just not used to the sound signature, the effect goes away if you listen to it for a minute or two like usual. It is a bit annoying though

Otherwise, no regrets

17 minutes ago, lolpwnd31 said:

Did it, these things are awesome

I expected it to sound thin, but not at all. I tested it with a song I specifically knew was bass heavy and it blew me away.

Some songs do sound a bit odd though. Most songs transferred fine but songs by Billain sound a little muffled. I'm probably just not used to the sound signature, the effect goes away if you listen to it for a minute or two like usual. It is a bit annoying though

Otherwise, no regrets

HD558 is a great choice! Have fun :)