Opinions on this home theater package.

X1XNobleX1X
Go to solution Solved by ShearMe,

Managed to buy a really nice set of speakers today CM9 by B&W absolutely amazing!

I'v set them up, but the problem seems to be with the Edifier

. It not working with the pre-out on the amp. 

Am I suppose to connect it to the aux in on the very top or the Audio in where it says SW in red?\

I have a sub woofer cable, do I need a cable like this instead? 

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/5m-Mercury-AV-1RCA-2RCA-High-End-Subwoofer-Y-Cable-/370810193148?pt=AU_Television_Accessories&hash=item56560284fc&_uhb=1

Thanks!

edifier-s550-2.jpg

Please don't tell me you're using that cheap subwoofer with those nice floorstanding speakers....

Look up!

You don't have to quote me, this is the only subforum I read.  ;)

It seems Windows doesn't know the HDMI is connected. Can you temporarily connect a monitor or TV via the receiver's HDMI out just for troubleshooting?

Look up!

Check this area to make sure that its not disabled possibly:

2013-12-1322_05_34-NVIDIAControlPanel.pn

You don't have to quote me, this is the only subforum I read.  ;)

It seems Windows doesn't know the HDMI is connected. Can you temporarily connect a monitor or TV via the receiver's HDMI out just for troubleshooting?

Yes that could be a problem I have never tried to pass just audio via HDMI, usually the audio is tagging along with video. I wonder if just audio will work, especially through a GPU. The one setting that may fix this would be found in the receiver that allows the TV's stuff to pass through the receiver to the TV. If you disable this the computer will see the receiver not the TV. I dont know what to call this feature but I should have given you enough info to find it in your manual. Also the other option he has if he just want to do audio is to use one of the two spdif output to send audio to the receiver as thats what its made for only digital audio. I should also ask which Nvidia GPU are you using @X1XNobleX1X as if its pre 400 series youll have to connect the GPU to the spdif header on your motherboard via a cable as those cards didnt have built in audio.

Check this area to make sure that its not disabled possibly:

Yes that could be a problem I have never tried to pass just audio via HDMI, usually the audio is tagging along with video. I wonder if just audio will work, especially through a GPU. The one setting that may fix this would be found in the receiver that allows the TV's stuff to pass through the receiver to the TV. If you disable this the computer will see the receiver not the TV. I dont know what to call this feature but I should have given you enough info to find it in your manual. Also the other option he has if he just want to do audio is to use one of the two spdif output to send audio to the receiver as thats what its made for only digital audio. I should also ask which Nvidia GPU are you using @X1XNobleX1X as if its pre 400 series youll have to connect the GPU to the spdif header on your motherboard via a cable as those cards didnt have built in audio.

7icq.pngThis is what my Nvidia Control panel looks like.

Also I'm using two GTX Titans so that shouldn't be a problem. 

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

7icq.pngThis is what my Nvidia Control panel looks like.

Also I'm using two GTX Titans so that shouldn't be a problem.

My suggestion then find the feature in your receiver that allows the computer to see the tv not the receiver or just use either optical or coaxial spidif since your only using this for audio.

Also the only reason I'm using HDMI is that Optical Compressors the Audio.

Even though people say it's not a noticeable difference, If I can get it to work then why not? 

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

Also the only reason I'm using HDMI is that Optical Compressors the Audio.

Even though people say it's not a noticeable difference, If I can get it to work then why not?

Optical does not compress the audio unless you turn that feature on. Those features would be called DTS Connect and Dolby Digital Live. If those are NOT on the PC will send RAW PCM or LPCM to the receiver.

Optical does not compress the audio unless you turn that feature on. Those features would be called DTS Connect and Dolby Digital Live. If those are NOT on the PC will send RAW PCM or LPCM to the receiver.

From what I read Optical doesn't have enough bandwidth for 5.1 Uncompressed audio.

From what I read Optical doesn't have enough bandwidth for 5.1 Uncompressed audio.

S/PDIF only supports uncompressed stereo.

I ran into what your speaking of with an older receiver I had it only supported like 24bit 48khz stereo uncompressed over optical max but I believe this was more of a restriction with the receiver since it was a JVC from the late 90s (or something like that). I thought I had tested this with my newer receiver but couldnt set 5.1 in windows, however since the receiver can do up to 7.1 LPCM decoding I could bitstream it direct from the audio decoders I used at the time which bypassed windows (I believe?). I think I used madFLAC for FLAC and I forget what I used for AAC possibly CoreAAC. Sorry, its been a while since I have used individual decoders since LAV Filters are doing such a nice job. . I could actually test thing now but I dont have a PC at the moment near enough to the receiver that has optical out. In coming days though this may be a possibility and I would test with lav filters this time.

In the meantime @X1XNobleX1X you may want to look into the setting im talking about as it may resolve this quicker. Its also nice to turn off even if you have a TV or monitor hooked up because it allows you to turn off the TV without the PC thinking it was unplugged which can cause issues depending on what your using and how its setup.

S/PDIF over optical or coaxial should have more than enough bandwidth as the one is light and the other is RG6 coax cable which being solid copper wire has a ton of bandwidth available.

I ran into what your speaking of with an older receiver I had it only supported like 24bit 48khz stereo uncompressed over optical max but I believe this was more of a restriction with the receiver since it was a JVC from the late 90s (or something like that). I thought I had tested this with my newer receiver but couldnt set 5.1 in windows, however since the receiver can do up to 7.1 LPCM decoding I could bitstream it direct from the audio decoders I used at the time which bypassed windows (I believe?).

Optical isn't bandwidth-limited (it's freaking fiber optics) but the S/PDIF protocol itself is because it was originally only for use with RCA/Coaxial. That'd be really interesting if there was a way to use optical without having to use S/PDIF, and worthy of setting up some sort of guide to put in the FAQ.

Edit: did some snooping and found out about ADAT - you sure you weren't dealing with that?

S/PDIF over optical or coaxial should have more than enough bandwidth as the one is light and the other is RG6 coax cable which being solid copper wire has a ton of bandwidth available.

I think the only way of getting sound is through optical.

Not my preferred option but as I'm already using DVI for my monitors I don't think I have any choice. 

Optical isn't bandwidth-limited (it's freaking fiber optics) but the S/PDIF protocol itself is because it was originally only for use with RCA/Coaxial. That'd be really interesting if there was a way to use optical without having to use S/PDIF, and worthy of setting up some sort of guide to put in the FAQ.

Edit: did some snooping and found out about ADAT - you sure you weren't dealing with that?

Hey man ill try and see what I can come up with. Its been a while since I tried that, it was before GPU's natively supported audio over HDMI. I knew far less then than I do know and I had just gotten a new receiver so I may have been only sending it downsampled 2.0 and then the receiver was automatically applying dolby pro logic. I really dont think that was it but like I said ill see what i can do about testing it again.

I think the only way of getting sound is through optical.

Not my preferred option but as I'm already using DVI for my monitors I don't think I have any choice.

Any way to use HDMI for one of your monitors? Also I was serious about that option, it was like TV passthrough or something.

Any way to use HDMI for one of your monitors? Also I was serious about that option, it was like TV passthrough or something.

I looked in the manual couldn't see anything if you want to take a look my av reciver is the yamaha vrx2065

Thanks

I looked in the manual couldn't see anything if you want to take a look my av reciver is the yamaha vrx2065

Thanks

Try page 57 and 66. i would try turning off HDMI control first and if that doesnt work try disabling HDMI Out entirely.

2013-12-1323_47_15-RXV2065ManualpdfSECUR

2013-12-1323_49_32-RXV2065ManualpdfSECUR

Try page 57 and 66. i would try turning off HDMI control first and if that doesnt work try disabling HDMI Out entirely.

2013-12-1323_47_15-RXV2065ManualpdfSECUR

2013-12-1323_49_32-RXV2065ManualpdfSECUR

Your amazing!

Thanks you, i'll try disabling the HDMI control tonight.

Your amazing!

Thanks you, i'll try disabling the HDMI control tonight.

NP man ive set up quite a few Home Theater setup as well as HTPC's the Receivers all have the same stuff but call it different things, luckily its usually variations on the same terms.

Also once you get it working youll want to use the pure direct and straight options to get sound from your PC to come out unaltered from the receiver.