Custom PC with Built-in Battery, is it possible?

When the power goes out my UPS turns it's 12v DC into 110v AC just so my PSU can convert it to DC again, which seems very inefficient to me. So I'm curious if I can attach a battery straight to the PSU, like connect a car battery to the 12v Rail, or a ton of rechargeable AA batteries... Or something alot more complex like something with it's own charger, switches, hardware.

It may be possible but Im not sure, I have not heard of a thing like this.

System

• CPU
    Ryzen 7 5800x
  • Motherboard
    Asus ROG Strix B550
  • RAM
    Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200MHz 32GB (16x2)
  • GPU
    EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080TI
  • Case
    Fractal Design Define R5
  • Storage
    WD Black SN750 500GB NVMe SSD | WD Green 2TB HD | WD Green 3TB
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 850W
  • Display(s)
    Asus 1920x1080p 144hz
  • Cooling
    Cooler Master Master Liquid 240
  • Keyboard
    Logitech Pro TKL
  • Mouse
    Logitech G502
  • Sound
    Logitech G733
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

Doesn't exist that I am aware of.

*edit

Did some quick research for you. 

https://www.maximintegrated.com/en/app-notes/index.mvp/id/1897

This may help some for your situation.

Hope that helps.

Edited by SansVarnic

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

2 minutes ago, Cadenthor said:

When the power goes out my UPS turns it's 12v DC into 110v AC just so my PSU can convert it to DC again; which seems very inefficient to me. So I'm curious if I can attach a battery straight to the PSU, like connect a car battery to the 12v Rail, or a ton of rechargeable AA batteries.

Yes there are redundant PSU's for servers that use a DC to DC systems, however those are fairly specialize and cost quite a bit. You can't directly connect the 12V to your PSU it doesn't have the capability to take that input and provide the necessary voltages for the system to run. 

My mate recently built a custom laptop, ill ask him of the website.

even chose the screen resolution

4 minutes ago, Fessas said:

My mate recently built a custom laptop, ill ask him of the website.

even chose the screen resolution

That's pretty normal... even Dell offers specific resolution choices...

Custom laptops like Sager and XoticPC rebrands are also pretty standard.

-----> Official Unofficial Favorite Keyswitch Type Survey <-----

OWNER OF THE FASTEST INTEL iGPU ON LTT UNIGINE SUPERPOSITION [lol]

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k | COOLING Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White) | MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 | GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White) | RAM  16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White)SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | PSU ASUS STRIX 850W (White)CASE  Phanteks G360a (White) | HEADPHONES  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro | KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps) | MOUSE  Cooler Master MM711 (White) MONITOR HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

WORK RIG "OVERPRICED BRICK"

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB) | HEADPHONES  AirPods Pro 2 | KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini | MOUSE  Logitech MX Master 3S MONITOR 2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

GET YOUR ASS ON NIGHT THEME

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]

I'm talking about like a PSU that has inputs for DC, something I can run all the cables through and it'll switch the power source in an instance, or getting batteries with specific voltages and soldering'em straight into the wiring.

it sure is possible. You will need to get familiar with PSU design. A PSU has multiple 5V to 12V lines that cannot be mixed up. The way I would do it is get a couple of deep cycle batteries and build a custom charger, then build a custom switching transformer to provide the same lines as a PSU. You know one for GPU, motherboard and disk drives..

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

10 minutes ago, Cadenthor said:

When the power goes out my UPS turns it's 12v DC into 110v AC just so my PSU can convert it to DC again, which seems very inefficient to me. So I'm curious if I can attach a battery straight to the PSU, like connect a car battery to the 12v Rail, or a ton of rechargeable AA batteries... Or something alot more complex like something with it's own charger, switches, hardware.

as someone mentioned, you can get an AC-DC and DC-DC server PSU, I have a server with two 24v imput and a two 240v units, they are SUPER rare and I got them with the server, they aren't even HP branded, i think they where custom made and I don't use them, but it is possible but insanely custom. I've been thinking about doing something like that but it'd take me a month of design before I even laid a board out. 

Yours faithfully

1 minute ago, Lord Nicoll said:

as someone mentioned, you can get an AC-DC and DC-DC server PSU, I have a server with two 24v imput and a two 240v units, they are SUPER rare and I got them with the server, they aren't even HP branded, i think they where custom made and I don't use them, but it is possible but insanely custom. I've been thinking about doing something like that but it'd take me a month of design before I even laid a board out. 

I'm probably thinking of something more common and cheaper.

Just now, Cadenthor said:

there is currently no dual AC/DC input PSU's in the ATX form factor mass produced unit that I am aware of, however google that term "dual AC/DC input PSU" and see what comes up

Yours faithfully

1 minute ago, Cadenthor said:

There isn't really something like that for the consumer market as UPS's dominate the market and are usable with anything that really plugs into them. This kind of system is very specific as it need to operate at a certain input voltage and have the capability to both detect a power failure and to switch over to battery backup without going down and run off the battery bank while ensuring it doesn't run the batteries down so low they get damaged. 

My UPS has a USB Port on the back of it. I'd think I could just rip out the inverter and hardwire the battery to my computer.

Your desktop also requires 5V and 3.3V as well.

Also the efficiencies are high enough and the use case so rare that it wouldn't be worth the effort.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

Just now, AnonymousGuy said:

Your desktop also requires 5V and 3.3V as well.

I'm sure there's something that can slow down the voltage.

Just now, Cadenthor said:

My UPS has a USB Port on the back of it. I'd think I could just rip out the inverter and connect to my computer.

The USB port is for manufacturing diagnose and usually a signal from the UPS to send a safe shutdown signal to your PC when it's running down on battery during and extended outage. Only thing is where would you connect the 12V power to it can't directly go to the PSU or into the board as it's unregulated. 

I'm just assuming but it seems like there'd be a place in the PSU where it's before it's regulated, so just stick a big wire right there or just not regulated it if that's an option.

1 minute ago, Cadenthor said:

I'm just assuming but it seems like there'd be a place in the psu where it's before it's regulated, so just stick a big wire right there or just not regulate it if that's an option.

It would need to be more than just a tacking a 12V battery to the unit since it would be feeding 12V then into the battery. It needs to be able to dynamically monitor the AC input and switch over to battery mode, while also topping it off when in idle and waiting for a power failure for it to kick in. 

There are full DC to DC type units which you can do something like this where you have one section connected to mains voltage through an AC to DC converter and the second to a large battery array with it's own monitoring and charging so it will never lose power. This however is quite expensive to implement.

http://www.3y-redundant-power-supply.com/en/dc-dc-redundant-power-supplies-for-ipc/21-dc-to-dc-redundant-power-supply-820watt.html

someone should make a case/custom power supply with a built- in battery. I mean if laptops can have one, a and also be a lot smaller, there definitely should be space for a bigger battery to fit in a standard atx case. 

linus sex tips

6 minutes ago, wii8cookies said:

someone should make a case/custom power supply with a built- in battery. I mean if laptops can have one, a and also be a lot smaller, there definitely should be space for a bigger battery to fit in a standard atx case. 

glue a UPS to the inside of the pc case and you have a "build in battery".