Cybenetics - a new PSU efficiency certification program emerges

source: https://www.cybenetics.com/index.php

via: http://www.kitguru.net/channel/generaltech/matthew-wilson/cybernetics-wants-more-accurate-efficiency-certification-for-psus-and-noise-ratings/

EKYjrpF.png

so far, not much is known about this new company .. Cybenetics (not to be confused with Cybernetics !!!)

they are a Cyprus based company that offers voluntary PSU efficiency and noise level certifications through which PSUs are promoted

as noted, they offer two certification levels:

• ETA - overall power efficiency based on 4 factors:
  1. efficiency
  2. power factor
  3. 5VSB efficiency
  4. vampire power
  • LAMBDA - noise levels

For a long time now, many of us have bought power supplies based on the 80Plus certification standard, which rates PSUs on a bronze, silver, gold and platinum scale based on efficiency. Cybenetics thinks it can do things a little better, which is why it has formed a new efficiency and noise certification standard for PSUs, aiming for greater accuracy in testing while also providing consumers with information on PSU noise in addition to efficiency.

The Cybenetics test procedure has been in the works for years now, putting together years of experience in power supply testing to increase accuracy and reliability. The lab is equipped with ‘state of the art’ equipment, which is used to test load combinations using a custom application to account for efficiency results across thousands of different load combinations. This is a step above the current standard, which tests four common load points to rate overall efficiency.

This new proprietary process should allow for a more accurate overall efficiency rating, taking into account things like power factor, vampire power and +5VSB rail efficiency. All tested PSUs must be compliant with the ErP Lot 6 2010/2013 and ErP lot 3 2014 directives and also meet all requirements mentioned in the (EU) No 617/2013 regulation:

• 85% efficiency at 50% of rated output power;
  • 82% efficiency at 20% and 100% of rated output power;
  • Power Factor = 0.9 at 100% of rated output power.

---

digging deeper

ETAhttps://www.cybenetics.com/index.php?option=eta

Contrary to existing methodologies we plan to apply close to 1600 different load combinations in the DUT (Device Under Test), which with the interpolation of results, can provide up to 25,000 measurement points, while current methodologies only take three to four measurements. The overall efficiency will be the average of all measurements, which cover the PSU’s entire operational range. This way it is impossible for a manufacturer to tune its products in order to meet some specified load levels, since in essence, we take under consideration the efficiency levels under a greater number of different load combinations, evenly spread throughout the full load range. Besides efficiency we also take voltage, ripple, power factor, noise and temperature measurements. For the moment we will use the power factor and noise results, while in the future we can use some of the remaining factors (or all of them) should we want to enrich our methodology. Furthermore, the huge load of data that our methodology provides allows us to easily modify our efficiency certification program, in case this is needed. Finally, we start our tests at close to 30 °C with the PSU inside a hot-box, which simulates a case environment. During the end of the test the ambient temperature inside the box reaches up to 32-34 °C so it is close to real life conditions. 

Vampire power (power consumption with no load on the 5VSB rail) is of high importance, since all this amount of energy goes wasted and most PC system’s aren’t kept in operation 24/7, meaning that for a significant part of the day the PSUs just consume energy without doing anything useful. We will evaluate each PSU by following closely the EN 50564:2011 and IEC 62301 measurement guidelines. In case the DUT doesn’t meet our standards, it will be automatically downgraded to the next lower efficiency certification level. 

Besides all above ETA will also take into account the overall efficiency of the 5VSB rail. We will measure efficiency on this rail per 0.05 A steps up to its max current output and the average of all measurements will be the final efficiency result. We expect all PSUs to deliver over 70% overall efficiency output on this rail, with this threshold set even higher for units that fall into the top categories of the ETA program. 

In order to make impossible for anyone to fake one of our badges we plan to use a plain but highly effective method. Each of the badges that we provide will address only a specific PSU model so it cannot be used by another one, even if this is based on the same platform but it is sold under a different brand. Users will be able to check if the badge is legit by scanning the QR code that comes along with it, or by visiting the short URL that we will also provide. The landing page of both the QR code and the short URL will be our database entry with the test results of the corresponding PSU model. So, if the user has purchased the X PSU and its performance badge leads to the Y unit, then he/she will know that the unit carries a fake badge and we should be informed immediately about this, in order to take action. We created a special email (report@cybenetics.com) for this purpose, in order to make easier the reporting of fake badges.

HqO8TBh.png

LAMBDAhttps://www.cybenetics.com/index.php?option=lambda

Noise data averaging process isn’t straightforward, since decibels (dB) are based on logarithmic scales. For example, if you have a PSU producing 40 dB(A), a doubling of the noise level would not be 80 dB(A) but 43 dB(A). This means that we must convert first the dB(A) values to sound pressure levels, before we average them, and then convert the result to dB(A) again, to make it familiar to most of you. We call our noise measurements program Lambda, deriving from the Greek letter “Λ”. The same conditions with efficiency testing also apply to our noise measurements. 

xc51oeO.png

---

this flew under the radar, but as far as is known only SeaSonic embraced this new certification: https://www.techpowerup.com/231534/seasonic-embraces-new-cybenetics-ratings

Seasonic was glad to jump on board to assess the performance of their PRIME units to see how they fare against the new Cybenetics test parameters. Seasonic was even happier to receive back the first test results of its flagship units, which without exception have demonstrated that they have passed the highest level of certifications with flying colors.

---

they have a few test certifications, but they don't specify what models were tested:

Spoiler

J3JQYUT.png

n2ln0xX.png

Aerocool:

Coolermaster:

Corsair:

Enermax:

EVGA:

FSP:

Riotoro:

SeaSonic:

Siverstone:

SuperFlower:

ThermalTake:

Edited by zMeul

I want to see this supersede the 80+ rating, it will a lot with more easily determining quality.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

13 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

I want to see this supersede the 80+ rating, it will a lot with more easily determining quality.

This rating still says nothing about voltage regulation or ripple supression. So it's not really a measure of quality, it can still trick people into thinking that the Antec High Current Platinum or the EVGA NEX (G1) are good PSUs.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

This rating still says nothing about voltage regulation or ripple supression. So it's not really a measure of quality, it can still trick people into thinking that the Antec High Current Platinum or the EVGA NEX (G1) are good PSUs.

I was stewing on that thinking you could have a PSU that passes all the certs, only for the components to die horribly a year later.

Like some cars.

EDIT: I think that's what the Lambda cert is for

4 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

Don't the different rating levels (bronze, gold, etc.) give a decent idea of quality?

I'd assume that at least most platinum rated PSUs for example should be rather good quality vs bronze.  

Just now, Bleedingyamato said:

Don't the different rating levels (bronze, gold, etc.) give a decent idea of quality?

I'd assume that at least most platinum rated PSUs for example should be rather good quality vs bronze.  

80PLUS only tests for efficiency. It doesn't test for noise suppression or ripple current which can be a problem.

3 minutes ago, Energycore said:

No but it's better than just pure efficiency. Literally no reason not to adopt it.

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

I was stewing on that thinking you could have a PSU that passes all the certs, only for the components to die horribly a year later.

Like some cars.

EDIT: I think that's what the Lambda cert is for

I thought Lambda was just for noise levels (from the fan)

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

25 minutes ago, zMeul said:

his way it is impossible for a manufacturer to tune its products in order to meet some specified load levels, since in essence, we take under consideration the efficiency levels under a greater number of different load combinations, evenly spread throughout the full load range. Besides efficiency we also take voltage, ripple, power factor, noise and temperature measurements.

It seems like it will take into accordance ripple @Energycore

Just now, DeadEyePsycho said:

It seems like it will take into accordance ripple @Energycore

Ah must have missed that. Alright this is some good shit

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

Ah must have missed that. Alright this is some good shit

Seems like they are only doing ratings for efficiency and noise currently but I guess they do the other tests as well and are probably planning on making ratings for those.

5 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

80PLUS only tests for efficiency. It doesn't test for noise suppression or ripple current which can be a problem.

Is noise suppression anything to reduce noise from the fan?    Or just measuring and/or factoring noise into the rating a PSU gets?

Sorry to ask but what's ripple current?  

Just now, DeadEyePsycho said:

Seems like they are only doing ratings for efficiency and noise currently but I guess they do the other tests as well and are probably planning on making ratings for those.

I think they should keep it simple, if they cover everything that's just a review of the PSU, I'd be happy with efficiency, power factor, voltage and ripple

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

This is being conducted by Aris, who reviews power supplies for Techpowerup! and Tom's Hardware. He does the most detailed reviews right now IMO.

Reports contain regulation and ripple but not transients unfortunately.

Just now, Bleedingyamato said:

Is noise suppression anything to reduce noise from the fan?    Or just measuring and/or factoring noise into the rating a PSU gets?

Sorry to ask but what's ripple current?  

Noise as in electrical noise. And ripple (don't need to call it current, apparently) is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ripple_(electrical)

4 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

are you asking about this new cert program or in general?

the LAMBDA noise certification is separate from the ETA overall power efficiency - they have two distinct badges

6 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Noise as in electrical noise. And ripple (don't need to call it current, apparently) is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ripple_(electrical)

Ah.  Thank you for the info.  

3 minutes ago, zMeul said:

are you asking about this new cert program or in general?

the LAMBDA noise certification is separate from the ETA overall power efficiency - they have two distinct badges

In general.  

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Power that's being consumed simply by being plugged in and the system is not actually on.

Are you sure this has nothing to do with the Illuminati?

Nevermind that's what they want us to think. WE ARE BREAKING THE CONDITIONING!! *rips off shirt*

-------

Current Rig

-------

12 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

It gives an idea of a particular dimension of PSU quality. As with many other (all?) goods, the problem with PSUs is that their quality is multi-dimensional. Efficiency is one of those dimensions: other things equal, it is better to have a more efficient PSU. There may be also some correlation with other dimensions, since probably the components needed to attain a high efficiency are going to be good in other senses as well. However, that correlation will be far from 1, and there will potentially be many other aspects left out (such as durability, or the presence of different forms of protection, etc).

So, 80+ isn't bad or useless, but is far from complete.

1 hour ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

It gives an idea of a particular dimension of PSU quality. As with many other (all?) goods, the problem with PSUs is that their quality is multi-dimensional. Efficiency is one of those dimensions: other things equal, it is better to have a more efficient PSU. There may be also some correlation with other dimensions, since probably the components needed to attain a high efficiency are going to be good in other senses as well. However, that correlation will be far from 1, and there will potentially be many other aspects left out (such as durability, or the presence of different forms of protection, etc).

So, 80+ isn't bad or useless, but is far from complete.

I think I'll stick with a nice seasonic PSU for now just to be safe then.  ?

Considering the PSU that still get a high rating under the 80+ system (#fuckmy2015CX850M #VS650isbetter) and the way the ETA system will have the same problem (if not worse)

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

2 hours ago, Energycore said:

You mean this?(High Current unit)

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Antec/HCP-1000/10.html

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story5&reid=287

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch