LGA1356/1366 Cooler Help

Hi,

I'm trying to put together a home server at the moment and have everything ready apart from the CPU coolers.

I'm doing a dual Xeon build with the Asus Z9NA-D6 motherboard. It has LGA1356 sockets but they're really close together and so I don't know what cooler to get. I was planning to get something like the Arctic Freezer 13 or Freezer 7 PRO Rev.2 but don't think that they'll be able to fit together on the board and I'm trying to avoid a situation where the (hot) exhaust of one CPU is blown directly into the intake of the CPU next to it.

If anyone has knows of any coolers that might be suitable for my project as well as any tips or comments, your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jamie

P_setting_fff_1_90_end_500.png.jpeg

1356? I'm pretty sure that's not a socket...

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

15 minutes ago, JamieBritain101 said:

Hi,

I'm trying to put together a home server at the moment and have everything ready apart from the CPU coolers.

I'm doing a dual Xeon build with the Asus Z9NA-D6 motherboard. It has LGA1356 sockets but they're really close together and so I don't know what cooler to get. I was planning to get something like the Arctic Freezer 13 or Freezer 7 PRO Rev.2 but don't think that they'll be able to fit together on the board and I'm trying to avoid a situation where the (hot) exhaust of one CPU is blown directly into the intake of the CPU next to it.

If anyone has knows of any coolers that might be suitable for my project as well as any tips or comments, your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jamie

P_setting_fff_1_90_end_500.png.jpeg

I have a similar board and the temps aren't affected much by the first cpu. just get a pair of these http://noctua.at/en/products/cpu-cooler-workstation-server/nh-u9dx-i4, they will work with the special server back plate the motherboard has

6600K - ASUS Z270i Gaming ITX - 8GB Corsair  Vengence LPX DDR4 2400MHZ - EVGA 1070SC - 120GB HyperX Savage SSD - CX430 PSU:|

PSU tier list- 

Just now, Matt_98 said:

I have a similar board and the temps aren't affected much by the first cpu. just get a pair of these http://noctua.at/en/products/cpu-cooler-workstation-server/nh-u9dx-i4, they will work with the special server back plate the motherboard has

Hi,

Could you just clarify that you have the noctua fans where the airflow goes in through the intake of the first CPU then to the outtake of the first CPU directly in the the intake of the second CPU? If that's the case and the temps aren't affected too much then that's probably the route I'll take.

Thanks

Just now, JamieBritain101 said:

Hi,

Could you just clarify that you have the noctua fans where the airflow goes in through the intake of the first CPU then to the outtake of the first CPU directly in the the intake of the second CPU? If that's the case and the temps aren't affected too much then that's probably the route I'll take.

Thanks

I'm using some generic heat sinks (you don't wanna know how there mounted) but the airflow goes into 1 out and straight into 2

6600K - ASUS Z270i Gaming ITX - 8GB Corsair  Vengence LPX DDR4 2400MHZ - EVGA 1070SC - 120GB HyperX Savage SSD - CX430 PSU:|

PSU tier list- 

Just now, Matt_98 said:

I'm using some generic heat sinks (you don't wanna know how there mounted) but the airflow goes into 1 out and straight into 2

Having used pieces of string and cable ties in the past I'm sure it's not that bad :P 

But thanks, I think that's the approach I'll take.

it's the same socket as the LGA1366 pins so takes the same coolers I have on my Z8NA-D6.

I have these coolers: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dynatron-G555-2U-CPU-Cooler-Fan-for-Intel-Xeon-5500-5600-Socket-B-LGA1366-/321067350234

keep in mind these Xeon boards use a different screw mounting to the standard desktop boards - so you need to use Xeon coolers.

You don't need $100 Noctua coolers for a server....

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

1 minute ago, JamieBritain101 said:

Having used pieces of string and cable ties in the past I'm sure it's not that bad :P 

But thanks, I think that's the approach I'll take.

actually i jammed a screw into the backplate to make my own threads and they hang of 4 hard drive screws

PSU tier list- 

Just now, Matt_98 said:

actually i jammed a screw into the backplate to make my own threads and they hang of 4 hard drive screws

Ok, this is new to me. ?

Just now, JamieBritain101 said:

Ok, this is new to me. ?

working for 3 months now hasnt fallen off yet (hears crashing in server cupboard)

PSU tier list-