Microsoft announces the Surface Laptop - aimed at students

GoodBytes

Microsoft announces a new budget Surface laptop system aimed for students. It is a system that doesn’t detach like the Surface Book. It is a simple laptop design. It is a 13.5inch laptop which feature Microsoft 3:2 aspect ratio Pixel Sense display. As inputs, it has the core essentials: It features 1x USB 3.0, Mini DisplayPort and a headphone plug. It also continues to feature the Surface line magnetic power connector. It doesn’t have USB Type-C, but the price is so very low starting at 999$. The system is 2.76lb or 1.25kg, and is 14.47mm thin (max thickness). Has a magnesium body, and fabric surface palm rest area.

Surface-Laptop-1.jpg.58d29270855283be6c76e1851e3f592c.jpg

The system is available is several colors: Cobalt Blue, Graphite Gold, Burgundy, and Platinum. The keyboard area is the same felt like material form the Surface Pro 4-line keyboard.

Surface-Laptop-2.jpg.6177f1ca33acf0f4ecb091a9d9166f32.jpg

C-yvgJGW0AADQKX.jpg.625532aab81d66cb7380b5345823058d.jpg

C-yvgJRXkAAt8zL.thumb.jpg.aef9d992ba31a7e51575ef494e0b6d05.jpg

The OS is the new Windows 10 S edition. This is version of Windows 10 can only run Windows Store apps (Win32 and UWP apps. Any dev can add their Win32 software to the Store, and Windows S users can get it). The “S” in Windows 10 S stands for School. Windows 10 S can be converted to Windows 10 Pro. You are not looked to the OS like Surface RT. Windows 10 S is for schools, and the school can decide which they prefer. Windows 10 S is really like a locked down mode. It is free for school who have Windows 10 already.

Its specs are as follows:

•    CPU: Core i5 / i7 U series CPU
•    RAM: 4GB, 8GB and 16GB LPDDR3 available as option
•    Storage: PCI-E SSD available in 128GB, 256GB, and 512GB

•    14.5h of battery life
•    Screen Resolution: 2256x1504

•    Multi-touch, IPS panel, pen support

•    Single finger to open the screen design

•    Instant on from wakeup

•    Windows Hello

•    Surface Dial support

•    720p webcam

•    Supports the Surface dock

•    Backlit keyboard

•    Ambient light sensor

•    TPM chip

And it is available starting: June 15, starting at $999 US

Source 1: MS Event

Source 2: https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/2/15507450/microsoft-surface-laptop-announced-price-specs-release-date

Source 3: https://www.onmsft.com/news/first-images-of-microsofts-surface-laptop-leak-expected-to-be-unveiled-at-may-2nd-event-in-new-york

Source 4: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/devices/compare-devices

Still, it would be expensive, right?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

i know what im going to be replacing my xps 13" with :P  although the first thing im gunna do is reinstall with full windows 10 

I lurk a lot

annocnes

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

I'm glad they give the option to upgrade to useful windows, though I'm not sure how useful 8GB of ram + processor that allows 14 hours of battery life would be with real windows.

2 minutes ago, ZM Fong said:

Still, it would be expensive, right?

my question too.

its probably going to be more then id shell out for a lapotp, id rather grab an old elitebook or something

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Sorry. I made a mistake, the system has 4GB of RAM. But I don't know at the moment if this is starting (probably is). The PCI-E SSD is 128GB starting.

I don't believe the advertised battery life. No way on earth something this thin has a large enough battery to operate for 14.5 hours.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

Just now, GoodBytes said:

Sorry. I made a mistake, the system has 4GB of RAM. But I don't know at the moment if this is starting (probably is). The PCI-E SSD is 128GB starting.

im guessing you can upgrade to 8gb if you can put an i7 in there 

I lurk a lot

Wait they're running Windows School with that high res of a display, a PCIe SSD and up to an i7? Something tells me most schools are not going to buy these, they look more like they're for college kids. So why not just preload them with normal old Windows? 

10 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Surface Dial support

Lolwhat

Also that mouse... *shivers violently* 

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...

5 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/devices/compare-devices

shows all the specs and starting spec there

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Only 128gb storage? That's pitiful... They could have at least done 250gb

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

Just now, Aytex said:

What is that mouse

That is a Surface ARC bluetooth mouse.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

That fabric will get nasty as hell with students, I'd imagine.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

4 minutes ago, N1ghtshade said:

Up to 1tb pcie is available as an option

3 minutes ago, Aytex said:

What is that mouse

Microsoft arc touch bluetooth, some people love it

I wonder how they got that battery life, hoping that they packed a serious battery (>60Whr) rather than 'software optimisation' 

Data Scientist - MSc in Advanced CS, B.Eng in Computer Engineering

3 minutes ago, N1ghtshade said:

Updated post, you can get 4, 8 or 16GB of RAM, and 128, 256, 512GB PCIe SSD storage (of course, you pay more for those higher configuration).

Yes, it is expensive, Surface line are all expensive.

Updated post, you can get 4, 8 or 16GB of RAM, and 128, 256, 512GB PCIe SSD storage (of course, you pay more for those higher configuration).

In the presentation Panos said 1tb is an option

Data Scientist - MSc in Advanced CS, B.Eng in Computer Engineering

Just now, randomhkkid said:

Up to 1tb pcie is available as an option

Oh I see, they have upgrade options. Neato.

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

10 minutes ago, Spork829 said:

Wait they're running Windows School with that high res of a display, a PCIe SSD and up to an i7? Something tells me most schools are not going to buy these, they look more like they're for college kids. So why not just preload them with normal old Windows? 

Lolwhat

Also that mouse... *shivers violently* 

Schools won't get that. Students in College/University will.

13 minutes ago, Orangeator said:

I don't believe the advertised battery life. No way on earth something this thin has a large enough battery to operate for 14.5 hours.

It is actually the video playback battery life. LOL!

I guess that is with Edge, non-HD video, 50% screen brightness, excellent wireless connection, backlit keyboard off.

But yes, we have to wait for reviews. But even if it gets you 10h, that is still really good.