PSU coil whine when under load

Feris

My computer spec:

CPU: I7 7700k
GPU: Asus Strix 1080ti OC

SSD : Plextor S1C

HDD: WD Blue caviar

PSU: Antec EDGE 750W

my PSU is very silent at normal use but when start high settings gaming, it start coil whine sound, is it dangerous ?

I don't know it because my wall socket problem or my PSU cause when i use voltage regulation tool it still there but low volume.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

The wine won't hurt anything. 

You sure it's from the power supply not the cpu or gpu?

yup i am sure the PSU cause the noise

Coil whine is harmless, albeit annoying. My PSU has coil whine, still going strong after over three years of use. 

Coil whine can be annoying, but normal, nothing can really be done about it (Nor will it damage anything). 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

I had a cheapy 600W that did that. It bugged me so I got an old 800W (of a different brand) and it went away. Coil whine is not bad but is hella annoying.

If you dont want to chang PSU. You could try locating the inductors and put super glue or hot glue on them. Or maybe try adding more load using fans or something to see if that changes it.

This issue is unlikely to damage your PSU unless you use it A LOT.  It doesn't mean there is a lot of extra strain on your PSU.  It is similar to "Hissgate" when the iPhone 7 first came out, annoying but not harmful.  The only real option would be to get a new PSU, because you wont use much less power from undervolting and won't want to change to a more low power part just for the sake of more quiet operation.

not that loud is like wind go through hole :S but when i put my head phone on i don't hear anything

Most likely you are getting coild whine because of GTX 1080 Ti.

I had R9 390 before and when at 100% load, there was no coil whine at all. Now I'm using GTX 1070, and I hear coil whine on GPU and PSU. So it's not PSU problems in my case, because R9 390 was pulling more power from PSU than GTX 1070 right now.

It's also possible that your GPU is causing coil whine to your PSU, but it doesn't have it itself.

It won't harm anything else than your nerves because you have to listen to that annoying sound lol

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

Just now, Simon771 said:

Most likely you are getting coild whine because of GTX 1080 Ti.

I had R9 390 before and when at 100% load, there was no coil whine at all. Now I'm using GTX 1070, and I hear coil whine on GPU and PSU. So it's not PSU problems in my case, because R9 390 was pulling more power from PSU than GTX 1070 right now.

It's also possible that your GPU is causing coil whine to your PSU, but it doesn't have it itself.

It won't harm anything else than your nerves because you have to listen to that annoying sound lol

i kinda overpower my rig with that PSU O.o i sure not from my Strix

4 hours ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Coil whine is harmless, albeit annoying. My PSU has coil whine, still going strong after over three years of use. 

I personally had of severe coil whine with a previous Aero Cool Interrogator 850w PSU, a notably horrendous PSU for surge protection standard. I later replaced of it for a completely overkill Corsair RM1000x, to which solved of the issue. Although I would suppose that is courtesy of it being never under 'load' with this system I have of, as well as a far superior efficiency rating..

I once did the unthinkable, back many headphones ago...

I split an audio split, again

30 minutes ago, EnergyEclipse said:

I personally had of severe coil whine with a previous Aero Cool Interrogator 850w PSU, a notably horrendous PSU for surge protection standard. I later replaced of it for a completely overkill Corsair RM1000x, to which solved of the issue. Although I would suppose that is courtesy of it being never under 'load' with this system I have of, as well as a far superior efficiency rating..

Well, coil whine can happen with any PSU really, regardless of quality. I personally have a Corsair AX860 which is a very good PSU, but it's had coil whine since I first got it. Not noticeable when idle unless you put your ear near it, but under load you can hear it a bit. Efficiency rating and wattage don't really effect it, as mine has coil whine all the time, even when idle (as mentioned, it's quite though) and it's Platinum efficiency rated. Just luck of the draw for the most part.

8 hours ago, Feris said:

My computer spec:

CPU: I7 7700k
GPU: Asus Strix 1080ti OC

SSD : Plextor S1C

HDD: WD Blue caviar

PSU: Antec EDGE 750W

my PSU is very silent at normal use but when start high settings gaming, it start coil whine sound, is it dangerous ?

I don't know it because my wall socket problem or my PSU cause when i use voltage regulation tool it still there but low volume.

PSUs can have coil whine but it's more likely your GPU. If you plug in your headphones to the front panel audio in your PC do you hear the coil whine in the actual sound coming through your headphones? My GTX 970 has horrendous coil whine and my headphones reproduce the whine through their drivers if I use front panel audio and thus I use an external amp/DAC.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Just now, STRMfrmXMN said:

PSUs can have coil whine but it's more likely your GPU. If you plug in your headphones to the front panel audio in your PC do you hear the coil whine in the actual sound coming through your headphones? My GTX 970 has horrendous coil whine and my headphones reproduce the whine through their drivers if I use front panel audio and thus I use an external amp/DAC.

no i plug my headphone in the front not like you xD, i am sure that my coil in PSU cause it

Man you wanna hear coil whine ? Run the Vulkan API draw call test on 3DMark with an AMD card. My 390 sounds like a sack full of dying rats running that test, in fact i got really scared the first time i heard it, PC's shouldnt make that noise man

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64