Is the ryzen 1700 worth it without overclocking

Go to solution Solved by tom_w141,

@Victor8582

The assumption that stock coolers are bad stems from the garbage intel stock cooler. The wraith spire is fantastic for a free cooler and I got an 800MHz overclock (3.8GHz total) using my wraith spire on my 1700.

You can easily do a very mild/safe overclock of 3.7Ghz on this cooler and 3.8GHz if you want to push the cooler.

EDIT: Btw all B350 motherboards can overclock.

I am not planning on getting an aftermarket cooler. Also i don't think i'm willing to overclock my system, so is a ryzen chip then worth it for me? I will be using it for rendering, streaming, gaming and c4d/blender/after effects

What do you mean? Without any specifics in what you're looking to achieve it's hard for us to answer. I personally have the R7 1700 and I didn't overclock it and it's 100% worth it for me. Unfortunately my needs and your needs are probably different so it might not be worth it for you.

-KuJoe

Depends on what you want to use it for.

Also, if you're looking for value for money I don't understand why you don't want to overclock.

Does you mum know you're here?

Just now, KuJoe said:

What do you mean? Without any specifics in what you're looking to achieve it's hard for us to answer. I personally have the R7 1700 and I didn't overclock it and it's 100% worth it for me. Unfortunately my needs and your needs are probably different so it might not be worth it for you.

I would use it for gaming, streaming, editing and maybe c4d/blender/after effects

For gaming the overclocking really helps.

But there are plenty of other applications where it is a multi-threaded beast even at stock.

Just now, Victor8582 said:

I would use it for gaming, streaming, editing and maybe c4d/blender/after effects

Defiantly good for those applications. 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

3 minutes ago, VVoltor said:

Also, if you're looking for value for money I don't understand why you don't want to overclock.

That 65W TDP goodness. :D

-KuJoe

4 minutes ago, VVoltor said:

It's not because i don't want to it's because i am not allowed to. I am buying it from a company that builds computers and seels them to a similar price as a custom one. (In my country it costs about the same) And if i overclock the warranty is gone. Also i don't think this motherboard can overclock "Asus Prime B350M-A" 

@Victor8582

The assumption that stock coolers are bad stems from the garbage intel stock cooler. The wraith spire is fantastic for a free cooler and I got an 800MHz overclock (3.8GHz total) using my wraith spire on my 1700.

You can easily do a very mild/safe overclock of 3.7Ghz on this cooler and 3.8GHz if you want to push the cooler.

2 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

@Victor8582

Thank you, i think i will try to overclock then. I just read some reviews about that motherboard where people wrote stuff like "Unstable overclock on this board"

9 minutes ago, Victor8582 said:

Thank you, i think i will try to overclock then. I just read some reviews about that motherboard where people wrote stuff like "Unstable overclock on this board"

NP heres a video with that exact board

And here is why you want a 1700 for streaming :) (linus uses a 1700X but a 1700X/1800X is just a pre overclocked 1700, my 1700 is at 4GHz)

2 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Kyle (Bitwit on youtube) tried overclocking Ryzen on B350 and X370 and got the same OC on both chipset mobo

So it seems Ryzen chips are hitting their own inherent OC limit even before the difference in mobo quality comes into play

If you want to spend money towards an OC I suggest getting a proper RAM kit made for Ryzen, instead of an expensive mobo

Yep i agree, already linked him that video above :)