how do i install graphics drivers on elementary OS?

I have recently resurrected my old PC with a new hard drive and graphics card. I'm not willing to put windows on it just for the sake of using it a few times a month so I put elementary OS onto it. I'm not too familiar with how a Linux works but I do have a raspberry pi so I knew how to install some applications from the command prompt and other very basic tasks but I'm still learning. I downloaded steam on it and when I go to run it is just says failed to load the driver. that's when I realized I hadn't installed a driver. so I went onto the AMD website (i have an R7 360 in there that I had lying around from out of my gaming rig before I upgraded to a GTX 1070) and downloaded the Linux version of the driver. from this point, i have not much clue what to do? any help.

you shouldn't need to install a driver. Open terminal alt + t and type steam. Then you can see where it fails.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

by nuking your elementary OS install and picking something decent like Xubuntu.

i managed to break an elementary OS install by searching for a way to have a calculator.

Just now, vorticalbox said:

you shouldn't need to install a driver. Open terminal alt + t and type steam. Then you can see where it fails.

that's what i have done and it stops at LibGL error: unable to load driver: radeoni

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

by nuking your elementary OS install and picking something decent like Xubuntu.

i managed to break an elementary OS install by searching for a way to have a calculator.

oh i heard that elementary is kinda shit i was just going off what looked ok and i thought i could semi use

1 minute ago, jimpa1812 said:

oh i heard that elementary is kinda shit i was just going off what looked ok and i thought i could semi use

elementary is as much a step backwards technology wise, as it is a step forwards look wise..

and be honest, the only reason it's a step forwards looks wise is because they blatantly ripped off everything that makes mac OS.

Just now, manikyath said:

elementary is as much a step backwards technology wise, as it is a step forwards look wise..

and be honest, the only reason it's a step forwards looks wise is because they blatantly ripped off everything that makes mac OS.

not really helping fix my problem tho :0

try

ln -sf /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6 /opt/MATLAB/XXXXX(R2014b)/sys/os/glnxa64/libstdc++.so.6

2 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

try

ln -sf /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6 /opt/MATLAB/XXXXX(R2014b)/sys/os/glnxa64/libstdc++.so.6

it says error near unexpected token `('

Just now, jimpa1812 said:

it says error near unexpected token `('

can you post the whole terminal text? 

Go to "Applications" >  "System Settings" > "Additional Drivers", this built-in utility should autodetect and guide you on how to install the drivers you need via a GUI.

A faster method would be to launch the installation proccess manually through a terminal windows by going to Applications > Terminal Emulator, then issuing the following command:

sudo apt-get install fglrx-installer

At any event, it's better to avoid installing the driver from the official website (e.g "the windows way"). Instead it's perfered to use  the distro's repository, this way it minimizes the risk of having problems appear down the line.

3 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

can you post the whole terminal text? 

still doing it after i fix my problem

Just now, Night_ said:

Go to the "Applications" >  "System Settings" > "Additional Drivers", this built-in utility should detect and guide you on how to install the drivers you need via a GUI.

A faster method would be to launch the installation proccess manually through a terminal windows by going to Applications > Terminal Emulator, then issuing the following command:

At any event, it's better to avoid installing the driver from the official website (e.g "the windows way"). Instead it's perfered to use  the distro's repository, this way it minimizes the risk of having problems appear down the line.

there is no additional drivers in system settings

2 minutes ago, Night_ said:

Go to the "Applications" >  "System Settings" > "Additional Drivers", this built-in utility should detect and guide you on how to install the drivers you need via a GUI.

its unable to locate it when i go through CMD

@jimpa1812

Apperantly the GUI is not pre-installed anymore, try running this first and then locating it again via the menu:

sudo apt install software-properties-gtk software-properties-common 

2 minutes ago, Night_ said:

@jimpa1812

Apperantly the GUI is not pre-installed anymore, try running this first then locating it via the menu again:

sudo apt install software-properties-gtk software-properties-common 

its still doing the same thing when i go through CMD and when i go into system settings

Just now, Night_ said:

@jimpa1812

What does it say?

the same thing as last time that its unable to locate it

@jimpa1812

Double check that you have network access, then run this:

sudo apt-get update

Afterwards try running the commands i mentioned previously.

1 minute ago, Night_ said:

@jimpa1812

Double check that you have network access, then run this:

sudo apt-get update

ok i ran that, do i try running the previous command

@jimpa1812

Try this first and see if the "Additional Drivers" menu appears, if it doesn't try installing the driver manually using the other command.