Ultrawide monitors multimedia

apaar123

Are ultrawide monitors good for multimedia like movies,TV shows,YouTube etc ? Any way to remove those black bars?

11 minutes ago, apaar123 said:

Are ultrawide monitors good for multimedia like movies,TV shows,YouTube etc ? Any way to remove those black bars?

Depends, if you watch movies that are formatted in Cinematic Anamorphic wide angle then your ultra wide monitor might be suitable for watching those movies without or at least with minimal black bars.  However most home DVD/Blu-ray movies or even streamed content are formatted for 16:9 (or 4:3 if they're older) aspect ratios.  You cannot avoid having black bars.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

2 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

For Chrome or Chromium based browsers

Btw you can drag local videos/music into Chrome and the browser will play it like its a video player if the format is supported.

Other players, you will have to depend on their settings to fit to window width.

For games or other stuff that don't support 21:9? Well your only option is to take a hacksaw to your display if you don't want to see black bars.

I heard Youtube will integrate support for ultrawide aspect ratio. Most newer games also support 21:9

Yeah and maybe vlc supports?

2 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

3 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

One solution or VLC, 3rd post

There might be plugins/scripts/whatever floating around that automatically does it for you

Too lazy to look for them. I don't own an ultrawide display.

In the end if you want an ultrawide display and have the graphics horsepower to drive it (which is between ordinary 1080p and 1440p) then go for it.

LG has many models. Hopefully you have an AMD card and the display also supports Freesync. Remember its not the monitor's fault that original videos are not shot in 21:9

If you crop 16:9 videos to fill the screen (like the solutions I have given), then obviously you wont see the top and bottom strip.

The 3440x1440 is more than"normal" ultra wide

1 hour ago, huilun02 said:

One solution or VLC, 3rd post

There might be plugins/scripts/whatever floating around that automatically does it for you

Too lazy to look for them. I don't own an ultrawide display.

In the end if you want an ultrawide display and have the graphics horsepower to drive it (which is between ordinary 1080p and 1440p) then go for it.

LG has many models. Hopefully you have an AMD card and the display also supports Freesync. Remember its not the monitor's fault that original videos are not shot in 21:9

If you crop 16:9 videos to fill the screen (like the solutions I have given), then obviously you wont see the top and bottom strip.

Well I will have a nvidia graphics card and monitor will have g sync