New vs Old MBP (2015 vs 2016)

Hi all, 

Hope you all are having/had a good weekend. I have a problem in choosing a new laptop. I want to upgrading from my old Macbook Air (Early 2015) to a Macbook Pro. But, I m a photographer so the new Macbook, without a SDXC card slot is a huge bummer for me. Despite that, the screen is also important to me and because the new MBP have better screen, i m now stuck with the decision: 

A. Buy the 2015 MBP and deal with a different screen. But all of the old port that i love and need like the SDXC.

B. Buy the new MBP which is slightly faster and have better screen but then i have to live the dongle life.

Thanks.  

Depends entirely on how much you personally mind the dongle life. If it isn't that big of a deal to you, buy it and be happy. If it is a big deal to you, then go for the other option, or search for a different computer. Not really objective, purely subjective in this case.

4 minutes ago, Brian Lu said:

A. Buy the 2015 MBP and deal with a different screen. But all of the old port that i love and need like the SDXC.

2015 15 inch MacBook pro with a DGPU is the best MacBook that existed sadly the last pro laptop from apple.  

4 minutes ago, Brian Lu said:

B. Buy the new MBP which is slightly faster and have better screen but then i have to live the dongle life.

not really worth it, not a very "pro" laptop, unless you call glorified web machine pro. 

- too big trackpad with bad palm rejection 

- not enough IO for a "pro" laptop 

- worst battery life than the 2015 model

- too many software glitches 

too high for a price for what you are getting even for a mac, quality is not on par. 

If you're only doing photo editing and colour grading on the machine I recommend you stick to the 2015 model. I personally don't really mind things like the non-light-up Apple logo or the keyboard, also the trackpad on the 2016 version is amazing but if you're working with cameras and don't need that top notch performance for Final Cut Pro or Premiere, the 2015 model is better suited for you.

WHIPLASH

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k @4.7GHz

RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 2x8GB @3000MHz

MOBO: Asus ROG Maximus VIII Ranger

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA Supernova 650GS

CASE: Fractal Design Define S

The 2015 is cheaper and better

Elemental 

Spoiler

Intel i5 6500 @3.8ghz - 8GB HyperX - 600w Apex PSU - GTX 1060 G1 GIGABYTE 6GB - s340 Black - 240gb Toshiba Q300 - Cooler master TX3i - MSI z170-A PRO.

Old Build (sold for 290€)

Spoiler

Intel i3 540 @ 3.9ghz (On stock cooler, Hits 80c max) - 8gb ram - 500w power supply - P7H55-M LE  120gb SSD - Talius Drakko case

Project Frug 50$ Water loop

Laptops

Spoiler

13" Macbook Air - Alienware m14x r2 -  2009 15" Macbook Pro (I was give all of these and would never buy them myself)

16 minutes ago, Stevoisboss said:

Have you considered getting an xps 13? I'm not familiar with a sdxc slot but it does have an sd card slot if thats the same thing. With a better screen.

I kinda like macOS better. Don't get me wrong, i own a custom built PC and windows experience has been very good. But i wouldn't switch to a windows laptop anytime soon. 

14 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

2015 15 inch MacBook pro with a DGPU is the best MacBook that existed sadly the last pro laptop from apple.  

not really worth it, not a very "pro" laptop, unless you call glorified web machine pro. 

- not enough IO for a "pro" laptop 

- worst battery life than the 2015 model

- too many software glitches 

too high for a price for what you are getting even for a mac, quality is not on par. 

I kinda agreed with ya, since i ma spend most of my days in summer on the street. I would like dongle free and longer battery life. But between the 13inch and 15 inch what would you recommend? i know you mention that 15 have DGPU but apple doesn't sell that version anymore. And weight is kinda a problem cause all of my gear add up to a fair amount of weight in my backpack already. 

Just now, Brian Lu said:

I kinda agreed with ya, since i ma spend most of my days in summer on the street. I would like dongle free and longer battery life. But between the 13inch and 15 inch what would you recommend? i know you mention that 15 have DGPU but apple doesn't sell that version anymore. And weight is kinda a problem cause all of my gear add up to a fair amount of weight in my backpack already.

i would try to get a 15 inch 2015 model with a DGPU, the quad-core processor will last longer. i have been using my late 2013 15 inches with a DGPU for over 3 years, it's going to hit 4 this October. 

2 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

i would try to get a 15 inch 2015 model with a DGPU, the quad-core processor will last longer. i have been using my late 2013 15 inches with a DGPU for over 3 years, it's going to hit 4 this October. 

I will try that, thanks.

3 hours ago, nerdslayer1 said:

You must have never used it, because you can palm the entire trackpad and it never skips a beat. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

You must have never used it, because you can palm the entire trackpad and it never skips a beat. 

i have, it's too big content software glitches with palm rejection failure, i bought one for testing purposes kept it for 7 days before returning it on apple return window. 

4 hours ago, Brian Lu said:

I was on the 2016 Macbook hate train, but I have some differing opinions. I would honestly say at THIS current point both options are about the same. Most of the software issues are fixed and battery life has been improved (but still worse than the 2015 one.)

The crowning features of the 2016 one is the great screen, and tb3. Macbooks work well even 5-6 years later (my 2012 macbook pro is still working great). With TB3 and OpenCL acceleration, you could get a tuned up 2016 macbook pro with the i7 6920HQ + tb3 AMD gpu to accelerate the macbook a few years down the line. I honestly believe that the "useful" lifespan of the 2016 Macbook Pro will be longer than the 2015. 

I can say that the touchbar is pretty useless. My friend barely uses it and literally keeps it locked on the standard keys. Terrible decision here. Stupid as fuck. 

And yes the 2016 one has tons of issues that everyone as listed above and is way too expensive. 

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p