Can i get a power supply just for case fans?

TheEndIsNear
Go to solution Solved by Godlygamer23,

Power supplies will only draw what's required to give the required output. The power supply will have an efficiency rating at different load levels. The idea that the load on the power supply shouldn't be too low is usually due to the efficiency - if you get a 24-pin power connector adapter, you can short both power supplies to turn on at the same time. 

Wanting to power some case fans and some rgb lighting, but i failed to find any usb to the 4pin connector so, plugging case fans into power supply? i dont have a power supply neither a Desktop so can't test it myself.

Second thing is, is it ok for the power supply to just be connected for the fans and led? will the power draw from the PSU still be as high or it will only take what is for the output? I think i read somewhere that the load on PSU shouldn't be too low (for PC of course when choosing PSU)

So can anyone give me any suggestion to power my case fans and rgb lighting???

Power supplies will only draw what's required to give the required output. The power supply will have an efficiency rating at different load levels. The idea that the load on the power supply shouldn't be too low is usually due to the efficiency - if you get a 24-pin power connector adapter, you can short both power supplies to turn on at the same time. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Just now, NotTayyeb said:

Why not just get a fan hub....?

Does fan hub have power source?? i dont have power source for the 4pin

1 minute ago, Godlygamer23 said:

So i have to get a good efficiency PSU for this? and i don't quite understand the statement to short both PSU....

2 minutes ago, TheEndIsNear said:

Does fan hub have power source?? i dont have power source for the 4pin

It depends on the fan hub i guess, but theres even fan splitters... Like i have 3 or 4 fans connected to a single header using a fan splitter on my motherboard i think... 

Just now, TheEndIsNear said:

So i have to get a good efficiency PSU for this? and i don't quite understand the statement to short both PSU....

No you don't. When you turn on power supplies, you are shorting two pins together to send the signal to turn on.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

It depends on the fan hub i guess, but theres even fan splitters... Like i have 3 or 4 fans connected to a single header on my motherboard i think... 

well my main problem is only that i dont have a connector to power my case fan, initially i was intending to look for some kind of usb to 4pin adapter but no luck in that.

well my main problem is only that i dont have a connector to power my case fan, initially i was intending to look for some kind of usb to 4pin adapter but no luck in that.

What motherboard and PSU are you currently using? Its just that the whole second PSU option seems a bit extreme and unconventional....

1 minute ago, Godlygamer23 said:

No you don't. When you turn on power supplies, you are shorting two pins together to send the signal to turn on.

Therefore any decent PSU should do right? So what you are saying is an adapter can be used to turn on another PSU, am i right?

Therefore any decent PSU should do right? So what you are saying is an adapter can be used to turn on another PSU, am i right?

Yes, and yes. It will turn them on at the same time when you hit the power button.

Oh i guess you guys are mistaking me :P as i explained in the first post, i have neither a desktop and PSU therefore i intend to buy one just to power fans and led

Oh i guess you guys are mistaking me :P as i explained in the first post, i have neither a desktop and PSU therefore i intend to buy one just to power fans and led

You can still turn it on with a paper clip.

ah! so dont worry about it! when you get your motherboard, most modern motherboards have a bunch of fan headers, each of which can take a couple of fans each using fan splitters - this way you can control their speeds.... and Most modern PSUs have molex connectors, if needed you can connect fans to a molex fan hub so theyre directly connected to the PSU, but theyll always run at 100% if connected via molex

Just now, Godlygamer23 said:

You can still turn it on with a paper clip.

actually i'm not going to have two PSU :P 

Oh wait i thought PSU turn on just by flipping the switch at the back?

Oh wait i thought PSU turn on just by flipping the switch at the back?

That's only putting it in standby mode, not full blown operation.

Just now, Godlygamer23 said:

That's only putting it in standby mode, not full blown operation.

That means everytime i want to turn on the power i will need to insert PSU with a paper clip O.o

That means everytime i want to turn on the power i will need to insert PSU with a paper clip O.o

You will insert it into the 24-pin connector(any black wire with the green wire), and turn on the back switch. If you want to turn off the power supply, just flip the switch on the back and leave the paper clip in.

JUST GET A DAMN FAN HUB OR FAN SPLITTER!! :'(

well actually im not using case fans with any desktop components:P so no motherboard for the power source.

I have an old case lying around and i want to stuff a bunch of intake fans in it, leaving only the small air vent on the side panel open, lying the case horizontally and the amount of air blown out from the small air vent which will cool the underside of my laptop which is place on top of the air vent.

5 minutes ago, NotTayyeb said:

JUST GET A DAMN FAN HUB OR FAN SPLITTER!! :'(

oh and i stuff a bunch of heat dissipating adapters into the case :P 

I'm need to do something similar with a bank of fans to run as a makeshift dust extractor...I was going to post about it in the electronics thread...I'm wondering if there's a more cost-effective way of running it all without using a PSU at all...

...something I can run off of regular mains sockets to power PC case fans.

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

Just now, GuruMeditationError said:

I'm need to do something similar with a bank of fans to run as a makeshift dust extractor...I was going to post about it in the electronics thread...I'm wondering if there's a more cost effective way of running it all without using a PSU at all.

Just go ahead and create a new post for that. will get much better attention from people to answer your question.

2 minutes ago, TheEndIsNear said:

Just go ahead and create a new post for that. will get much better attention from people to answer your question.

Probably will; I've not quite got the time to get started on it just yet...

...this is probably the kind of thing you're looking for:

http://www.add2psu.com/

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

2 minutes ago, GuruMeditationError said:

Probably will; I've not quite got the time to get started on it just yet...

...this is probably the kind of thing you're looking for:

http://www.add2psu.com/

Nope thats not it, that item is to merge several psu into one (i guess?) whereas i want to power things with just only one psu.