Problem With HDD

Kilo One

My problem is that Im building a gaming PC within a budget which has been reached.

And only managed to put an SSD in it. However I have and external HDD that was 

given to my in my birthday, my question is: can I use that HDD as an internal one?

Here is the reference: toshiba canvio basics 2tb

Will I have any problems or is it posible??

If you were to put something like a game on it, you would incur to a lot of stuttering and freezes.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

1 minute ago, Slottr said:

If you were to put something like a game on it, you would incur to a lot of stuttering 

Really, why???

Just now, Slottr said:

Theyre slow

oh, yes I knew that my question is are they the same.

5 minutes ago, Kilo One said:

oh, yes I knew that my question is are they the same.

its going through usb. Usb is not that fast compared to sata..

1 minute ago, elpiop said:

yes, you just need to take it out of the housing and connect it to your motherboard with a SATA cable. it will work like any other drive.

good to know, thanks

But there is another problem, I saw a video from my HDD where they open it and it doesn't have a SATA connector

just a 3.0 USB :(

20 minutes ago, Kilo One said:

?

You'll be fine, the games will take much longer to install and load up but once done everything will be fine and game-play performance won't suffer in most of the cases, just make sure your Pagefile on the SSD is big enough and that you'll have 8gb or more of RAM so once the game is loaded up it doesn't have to access the HDD making it not have any stuttering.

I would personally though only use this as a temporary solution and buy a cheap 1tb 7200rpm HDD like WD Blue, Seagate Barracuda or even the Toshiba one when possible.

USB 3.0 already is good "enough", if it was 2.0 then you'd have a serious slooow reads and writes.

Edited by Princess Cadence

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

5 minutes ago, Kilo One said:

good to know, thanks

But there is another problem, I saw a video from my HDD where they open it and it doesn't have a SATA connector

just a 3.0 USB :(

yeah i just looked and i guess it has a built in usb controller. you can still play games off of it on USB but loading times will be slower

6 minutes ago, Kilo One said:

SATA connector

just a 3.0 USB

Again, that is only an issue on installing and loading, gameplay is the same after the game is loaded on RAM / Pagefile... for good example:

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

remove the hardrive out of the casing (it will then be a normal hardrive)

Guess I have to wait a bit longer in order to buy that 1TB WD Blue 

Thanks for the information