Everything stutters on borderless mode. fine on fullscreen or windowed

AmyThePersonThing
Go to solution Solved by AmyThePersonThing,

Well not pirating the windows and installing it today fixed it ^_^.

Not even the slightest stutter nor problems with freeSync yaaaay! well atleast for now. my PC is so much faster. but it's so hard not to priate :o I have to stay clean... I Wanted to give mass effect adorma a try but now that I can't pirate it first and give it a try to see if it's wroth buying... :| 

and wow windows is annoying. and there's ads now....? and the stupid pointer precision at first made me cry... until I realized it was on...

Hi.

I have an XL2730z and an RX 480 (8gb asus strix OC)

Every game I tried(Overwatch/Heroes of the storm/ Dishonored 2 etc) and VLC Player(Tried a 4k video and a 480p video, both lagged in similar pattern, I tried an 1080p60fps video too) stuttered. the screen freezes for about a second every 2 seconds. my cursor stops with the screen too. This only happens in Borderless Windowed mode

If I'm playing games (obviously not in VLC because it's near 50 degrees all the time) my Temps drop low when this happen then go back up. my temp curve looks like a bunch of "A"s !. everything is fine onFullscreen (not borderless) and it doesn't lag.

I one day saw my monitor turned off by itself and when I logged back in and turned my monitor on I saw a message saying "AMD drivers crashed resting to previous settings". I opened every app I had and tried it on borderless! no more stutters! but that only lasted for a day. today I have the same problems. but I have to mention that during the time it was fixed my freeSync had issues, if it was on my screen looked choppy and kept blinking or flickering(it kept getting dim and bright like it was flickering (like a lightbulb when the power is bad)). but that was fixed buy restarting my motor (turning it off and on again without unplugging it). but as soon as I alt-tabbed it would do the same again. when I alt tab it goes smooth for 2 seconds, screen freezes and starts flickering but working again. as I said non of this happens without freesync but the screen looks full of tearing :c

Things I've already tried:

Turning off freesync: did nothing

Setting the fans to 100% so it stays cool: no difference other than hurting my ears.

Unplugging my monitor, pressing power button then I hear the sound windows makes when a device is unplugged and see everything go into my secondary monitor, plugging it back and turning it on again:

This fixed the issue only for a while. as soon as I open another video or something or quit Fullscreen it starts doing it again.

Turning on Blur Reduction Mode: It works doesn't happen anymore. But I don't want to use BRM all the time ;c

Using DDU to re-install drivers several time and updating to the latest: Didn't work :c i tired VLC without the drivers however and it didn't work!

I don't think i can do a fresh install. I mean I obviously can but I have to pay around 30$ for my internet connection to re-download everything. some stuff like my visual studio can't be backed up easily. it took me a lot of effort to get android studio working so I rather not do that :c

PS: I posted this on reddit but marked it as solved yesterday thinking it's fixed forever. but as i said after the driver crash (yesterday) it started doing it again.

EDIT: once i click on my second monitor the video plays fine. haven't tried this with games but I assume the same happens. so the stuttering only happens when I'm focused on the window that is borderless

Also setting the refresh rate to 60hz fixes the issue 0_0 it still happens on 100-120-144hz

9 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Known issue with the recent Crimson ReLive drivers. Happens with some applications in borderless windowed mode while Freesync is on.

Can look it up:

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/amd-radeon-software-crimson-relive-17-4-3-driver-download.html

Look through the older releases to find one that doesn't have this problem

If that still doesn't work, I'm as clueless as you are. Never used Freesync. Good luck

Hmmm the issue you said is different than mine. it actually doesn't happen on DOOM and world of warcraft if I"m correct(wow  and CS:GO are the only mentioned games there and I don't even have CS:GO)

I tired setting my Monitor's refresh rate to 60hz and it doesn't happen. 

1 hour ago, huilun02 said:

Then its definitely a problem when you use variable refresh rate (which is what happens when you use Freesync)

the freesync is still on at 60hz

I ended every task that was not essential and not window or amd's task.

it didn't happen again. I"m re-installing windows :c it's definitely a program causing this to happen. I have a lot of weird apps on my PC(random drivers for crappy bluetooth dongles, programs like pingzapper and speedify or hotspotshield that probably are viruses :o my windows is fake too :c But I hope that doesn't cause probelms. I will probably buy an original copy of the new version of windows when it comes out. I only use windows for gaming anyway

;c

I have to download and install android studio-visual studio all over again :o it was so much trouble :(

Well not pirating the windows and installing it today fixed it ^_^.

Not even the slightest stutter nor problems with freeSync yaaaay! well atleast for now. my PC is so much faster. but it's so hard not to priate :o I have to stay clean... I Wanted to give mass effect adorma a try but now that I can't pirate it first and give it a try to see if it's wroth buying... :| 

and wow windows is annoying. and there's ads now....? and the stupid pointer precision at first made me cry... until I realized it was on...